Star Trek TOS Fiberglass Midgrade Phaser Build

Tripper

Sr Member
I’ve had some very early shanko shells sitting in a box for nearly 16 years and thought it was finally time to do something with them. Many thanks Nicksdad for the excellent metal parts and the grip. Shanko’s early shells had a lot of inaccuracies to them so I reshaped as much as I could. Flattened out the top of the forehead, thinned out the bulge around the sides below and beneath the side rails, flattened the slope above the trigger, and slimmed down the whole thing to match the west coast mid grade photos. The P1 had to be reshaped as well. The area beneath and aft of the thumbwheel/power meter got flattened out to match the slope the screen used mids had. The whole thing got a semi-flat black undercoat, then the P1 is Zynolyte Dark Grey, the P2 is Krylon Shadow Grey, and the grip is Rustoleum Dark Bronze misted over dull aluminum. All 3 of my old cans of shadow grey nearly exploded on me for some reason. Luckily enough, buying a new can off amazon worked out, looks like the color hasn’t changed. Dull aluminum for the silver bits with a black wash over the whole phaser including the metal. I went for the authentic screen used look but tried to keep it tame for the most part. Steel wool was used to cut down the top coat along the edges. I wasn’t precious about protecting the previous coats or when using glue. It got messy while I was building it and it just seemed to add more character. A lot of the weathering you see was from the black wash mixing in with the slight tackiness from the clear expoxy that found its way into places it shouldn’t be, but it felt right. Sealed it all in with a light semi-gloss clear coat. I bought some mil-spec fabric velcro for the P1 that seemed to have a tighter grouping to it and felt more like the authentic vintage velcro. Over all a really fun build! I’ve got all the parts now for a hero so I’ll get around to that hopefully this year. Here are a handful of shots from my phone-

APC_0834.jpeg

APC_0833.jpegAPC_0832.jpegAPC_0828.jpegAPC_0826.jpegAPC_0823 (1).jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve had some very early shanko shells sitting in a box for nearly 16 years and thought it was finally time to do something with them. Many thanks Nicksdad for the excellent metal parts and the grip. Shanko’s early shells had a lot of inaccuracies to them so I reshaped as much as I could. Flattened out the top of the forehead, thinned out the bulge around the sides below and beneath the side rails, flattened the slope above the trigger, and slimmed down the whole thing to match the west coast mid grade photos. The P1 had to be reshaped as well. The area beneath and aft of the thumbwheel/power meter got flattened out to match the slope the screen used mids had. The whole thing got a semi-flat black undercoat, then the P1 is Zynolyte Dark Grey, the P2 is Krylon Shadow Grey, and the grip is Rustoleum Dark Bronze misted over dull aluminum. All 3 of my old cans of shadow grey nearly exploded on me for some reason. Luckily enough, buying a new can off amazon worked out, looks like the color hasn’t changed. Dull aluminum for the silver bits with a black wash over the whole phaser including the metal. I went for the authentic screen used look but tried to keep it tame for the most part. Steel wool was used to cut down the top coat along the edges. I wasn’t precious about protecting the previous coats or when using glue. It got messy while I was building it and it just seemed to add more character. A lot of the weathering you see was from the black wash mixing in with the slight tackiness from the clear expoxy that found its way into places it shouldn’t be, but it felt right. Sealed it all in with a light semi-gloss clear coat. I bought some mil-spec fabric velcro for the P1 that seemed to have a tighter grouping to it and felt more like the authentic vintage velcro. Over all a really fun build! I’ve got all the parts now for a hero so I’ll get around to that hopefully this year. Here are a handful of shots from my phone-

View attachment 1785940
View attachment 1785941View attachment 1785942View attachment 1785943View attachment 1785944View attachment 1785951

An outstanding Midgrade build—very nicely done!

View attachment 1785940
View attachment 1785941View attachment 1785942View attachment 1785943View attachment 1785944View attachment 1785951
Nice work that one.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back