Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Nike Mag V2 mod discussion and builds

I went with my custom switch as its not going to be seen at all when it's installed and I can't see it being pressed as that switch really needs to be pressed quite hard, I'm hopefully going to install one of them tonight and fingers crossed ill have pics up later on tonight (3-4hours from now) also I took pliers and snipped the button in half then used my soldering iron to smooth the top of it so it doesn't rip through the leather when I force it into place, I have no idea if this will work so lets see what happens :confused

My black mags I did the same with the cuffs (without the sugru mount) when hiding the switch and it works perfectly in the tight area.

If it doesn't work then ill use these switches when they finally arrive from HK
http://bit.ly/WhBA4d the dims are smaller than the judco(I think) and alot cheaper :)

Last edited:

Wow Taff! Exploding batteries....not good. I had a feeling that something like this would happen. I agree that everyone must use the correct charger for the battery. It is not worth ruining the shoes, having to redo the work, have them catch on fire or injure your foot.

That white button on eBay is the same buttons I just ordered. I'll let you know how they are. They should be here any day now.

Wow Taff! Exploding batteries....not good. I had a feeling that something like this would happen. I agree that everyone must use the correct charger for the battery. It is not worth ruining the shoes, having to redo the work, have them catch on fire or injure your foot.

That white button on eBay is the same buttons I just ordered. I'll let you know how they are. They should be here any day now.

Ye man was quite a scary experience and i would hate any fellow rpfer to go through what i have, i was just chilling on the couch with a mate watching Django and all of a sudden "BOOM" i look out the window thinking "bit odd for fireworks this time of year" then my mate turns and says "Your shoes smoking bud" as funny as it sounds the thoughts i had going through my head at the time was quite nerve wracking, was lucky i didnt have to change my underpants tbh..

Ah that is awesome lol good minds think alike, unfortunately it takes forever to get stuff from HK to the U.K so if you get them soon can you post a side by side pic of the switch up against a judco for me? just for curiosity and peace of mind.

All in all though folks if your going to use a rechargeable battery get the right charger for the job and then go from there and let my experience be a lesson, i swear i got off lightly (even though the pics are savage to look at) imagine i didn't hear the battery pop and i just left it? I really do think the black smoke could have eventually stained the shoe and the contents of a battery is very hazardous to your health, thank god i have no kids as then things could have got really bad.

Also want to add i was lucky none of my leds or EL was damaged from this happening either, a new battery and i'm back on track.

Last edited:

Ye man was quite a scary experience and i would hate any fellow rpfer to go through what i have, i was just chilling on the couch with a mate watching Django and all of a sudden "BOOM" i look out the window thinking "bit odd for fireworks this time of year" then my mate turns and says "Your shoes smoking bud" as funny as it sounds the thoughts i had going through my head at the time was quite nerve wracking, was lucky i didnt have to change my underpants tbh..

Ah that is awesome lol good minds think alike, unfortunately it takes forever to get stuff from HK to the U.K so if you get them soon can you post a side by side pic of the switch up against a judco for me? just for curiosity and peace of mind.

All in all though folks if your going to use a rechargeable battery get the right charger for the job and then go from there and let my experience be a lesson, i swear i got off lightly (even though the pics are savage to look at) imagine i didn't hear the battery pop and i just left it? I really do think the black smoke could have eventually stained the shoe and the contents of a battery is very hazardous to your health, thank god i have no kids as then things could have got really bad.

Also want to add i was lucky none of my leds or EL was damaged from this happening either, a new battery and i'm back on track.

well for me, messing around with lithion ion and lithium polymer batteries as rechargeable options is a no go, especially since these batteries normally have their own specific chargers, ie camera or phone battery has to be in phone and charged by the specific phone charger.

and Lithium polymer batteries are highly dangerous if not used correctly in a proper circuit etc.

I'm guessing any rechargeable battery where you are wiring up to your own dc pin, and then charging via a dc charger is likely to be lethal.

I wonder what cloneprops is using, he's the one who suggested high mah phone batteries.

I guess the safest option is simply to have normal batteries, when they die, you simply remove them and put in new ones, or simply get the same batteries but in rechargeble versions, and charge them properly using their own battery chargers, then place them back in.

I just think playing with lithium ion/polymer batteries is more than likely a dangerous game.

Its one reason i wouldn't want one under my foot.

I'm guessing NimH 3.6v rechargeable batteries are going to be the same in terms of safety. Whether they have an internal circuit on these batteries and how they can protect you remains to be seen.

Ill probably go for the safe option.

it would have been helpful though if someone had pointed out that further drilling and cutting out the sole is required for any 9v battery to fit inside.

none of this was mentioned, I actually only found out once the sole was opened that a standard 9v does not fit in the sole without sticking out at least 2mm.
added to that, a very thin 9v inverter is then required, unless you completely drill out further, and then somehow drill downwards to increase the depth of the sole cutout.

just seems way too much cutting out for me personally, hence going the 3v thin inverter and thin battery pack route.

im simply using the existing 3.5cm x 5.5cm by 1.5cm high square hollow space to fit everything in there.

since the standard v2 buckle is pretty crap and you cant fit anything in there, the sole seems the only option.

airair, what size are your shoes? Is it possible the smaller sizes have a proportionally smaller battery compartment and that's why your 9v doesn't seem to fit?

Airair my mistake was as you have also mentioned today that I used a charger that I thought was safe but unfortunately not the charger for the batteries.. This time I have ordered the batteries and charger so I get the exact specs needed to charge the battery, all I am going to do is a custom connection and that I know for sure is not dangerous :)

I'm going to do a step by step of how to do this (as soon as i know it works safely and properly) when I get back from Switzerland next Sunday, I can't at the moment as I'm still waiting for the batteries & charger to arrive.

airair, what size are your shoes? Is it possible the smaller sizes have a proportionally smaller battery compartment and that's why your 9v doesn't seem to fit?

Very good point, don't see how I didn't think of that sooner :eek:

His only option might be digital camera batteries, but soon that might be the best option.

Last edited:

eBay: 6 PLUG 500mA UNIVERSAL AC DC VOLTAGE POWER ADAPTER 1.5V 3V 4.5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V

eBay: 6 PLUG 500mA UNIVERSAL AC DC VOLTAGE POWER ADAPTER 1.5V 3V 4.5V 6V 7.5V 9V 12V

would this type of charger be ok for a battery that is 3.6v or 3.7v?

i assume this charger only charges for those specific voltages, nothing inbetween those values?

I found some nimh rechargeable 3.6v batteries which are slim and will fit in the hole, but not sure what diode would be used, or if indeed a diode is neccessary?

if anyone has any further info on why/if a diode needs to be used on the 3.6 or 3.7v battery setup that would be great.

i think they are all the same
ive opened 2 different sizes

and a standard 9v battery by itself, if you lie it down in the hole, it stick out by at least 1.5mm.

i suppose an extra eva sole insert above it before the main grey eva sole insert is why others may not feel it beneath their feet.

but to me, the fact that it sticks out is very noticeable.

Also, the only 9v inverter that fits in there is the 9v thin inverter, which is only available from coolight.com who have extortionate shipping prices.

And there are no alternative or similar 9v inverters in europe/UK.

So I tried the micro 1.5v inverter on the Nike EL strap and it wasn't powerful enough to make it bright. It was a 5% pale blue haha. So I went back to coolight and ordered 2 flat 3v inverters instead. Gonna give those a try.

And yes, the shipping is ridiculous for a bubbly tiny envelope containing two micro sized components sent via snail mail about 300 miles away from my house. ($10+5day shipping)

So I tried the micro 1.5v inverter on the Nike EL strap and it wasn't powerful enough to make it bright. It was a 5% pale blue haha. So I went back to coolight and ordered 2 flat 3v inverters instead. Gonna give those a try.

And yes, the shipping is ridiculous for a bubbly tiny envelope containing two micro sized components sent via snail mail about 300 miles away from my house. ($10+5day shipping)

yeah
they want $50 by fedex for international shipping and they dont offer standard usps airmail.

ridiculous for such tiny inverters.

bunch of con artists in my opinion!

Air that 12v with separate charging wires looks sweet! Also my charger does only have the listed volts, none in between. Pinn, I tried to tell ya before it was too late, but the slim one your getting should be perfect. Good luck. Give us some pics.

Last edited:

cavx what material did you use to make your ustom soles and how durable is it?

So I pried the sole open with a butter knife and hair dryer...The left half of it was okay until I started doing the right side of it....The glue wouldn't separate. Then I found two rubber stumps on the inside.

IMAG0997.jpg

Triangle type things looked like this with light under it>>

IMAG0998.jpg

So I thought I could remove them...

The left one peeled off with a pair of pliers. Then the right one really tore up the rubber inside...

IMAG0999.jpg

So now when it lights up it looks like it has been battle damaged. I don't know how to make it smooth again. Chunks of the rubber are missing. I wonder if putting glue in the holes would smooth it out. Then actually glue to trim back to the gray part.

On the camera they look okay. But with the naked eye...ugh...I'm upset now that I failed my shoes.

IMAG1000.jpg

Sorry to say Pinn, but this is what happens when things are rushed. Those triangle pieces come out if heatd up with the hairdryer...no need for plyers!

99% of people will ever notice though...don't stressout about it.

where is everyone getting their el panels from? I don't really want to wait a month to get them from china.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back