Nike Mag V2 Mod Discussion (Page 58 Shopping List)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome thank you!:)

Here's a photo diagram to help you have a visual understanding
8635830001_cfe4d848cb_k.jpg

8635080334_47a6ab703b_k.jpg

Attachments

• 8635830001_cfe4d848cb_k.jpg
    8635830001_cfe4d848cb_k.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
Great job RobertTX, your toe is slimmer than mine I think, and your work in those MAGs is amazing, I've read the entire thread and since the beginning your work is a piece of art !
Thanks for the tip about painting the logo, but I decided to print them and I'm waiting for ink right now :)

Thanks ! I really followed the advices I could get here and Jedifyfe's tutorials, and with all your great explanations I was able to succeed. Since you're there and I bought the same glue you adviced on page 13, I do have one question. How did you use the loctite "brush on"?
I'm to chicken to try to use it for the final glue line...

Thanks ! I really followed the advices I could get here and Jedifyfe's tutorials, and with all your great explanations I was able to succeed. Since you're there and I bought the same glue you adviced on page 13, I do have one question. How did you use the loctite "brush on"?
I'm to chicken to try to use it for the final glue line...

His description on page 13 says that the brush-on glue is for inside the shoe only. Glue line must be done with a fine-tip bottle. And you can use Clear Shoe Goo or Clear E6000 glue.

w0rd3r

Seriously, you could just use a cutter, slightly cut the shape of the nike logo and insert a non working EL PANEL and put a sticker of the nike logo on, like the Markpoon ones, they are still pretty convincing, just glue the elpanel into the shape for inserting it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered what to use to do the end of the strap look like RD, and then I cut 2 little pieces of a plastic card (like a credit card)
I'm pretty satisfied with the results.
IMG_5310.jpegIMG_8428.jpeg

Hi, just a quick question, has anyone tried to make the tops of the uppers stay vertical when worn? The official ones at least appear as though their uppers would be more stiff. I'm sure I read something about it on the RPF somwhere.... but not sure where anymore.
Thanks!

They do stay relatively vertical even when wearing them. They only flair our when you tuck your pants into them. The real shoes [1989] seem to have thin plastic inside the collar.
vlcsnap-2012-11-03-09h06m44s219.png
It seems MJF didn't actually tuck his pants in either, rather wore his pants tightly rolled above the cuff.

It seems MJF didn't actually tuck his pants in either, rather wore his pants tightly rolled above the cuff.

Depends on the scene/shot. More tucked in:

Marty1-510x640.jpg

FANATICOS-ESPERAN-LANZAMIENTO-FAMOSAS-ZAPATILLAS_IECIMA20110908_0064_13.jpg

Attachments

• Torpek-es-oriasok-Celeb-labmeretek_7b8cd544d0a81fac3136e5eb649eaa52.jpg
    Torpek-es-oriasok-Celeb-labmeretek_7b8cd544d0a81fac3136e5eb649eaa52.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 101
EDIT: Shoes in the top shot (B&W) are probably not the hero shoes. In the "power lace' sequence the shoes are a modded pair as FX shoes. Maybe to get the effect they reinforced the collars? The laces straps in that pair certainly are not elastic.

Last edited:
just for those guys who missed this video, an original pair of screen used Mag's went on sale last month at Hollywood auction, pretty much in fantastic condition.

You can have a look at them here in this video:

You can see they lack any sort of stiffness on the top collars, they flare out pretty much same as the v2, pretty much because all they used was foam!

You can also see the grey fabric they used was simply wrapped around the shell, there was no inner layer of fabric, it was just on the outside.

On this one you can see the fabric has started to come off in a few places which makes it look slightly different to the 2011 RD release.

The way the grey fabric was glued on is actually exactly how I was glueing on some grey fabric on one of my test pieces.

You can also see the sock toe box which starts about an inch after the last lace/elastic. Also, look how tall the tongue is, that must be at least a few cm taller than the 2011 RD one.

The heel cup is also flatter at the back, doesn't seem to bulge out as much, while the Nike lettering is also less rounded.

The colour of the midsoles also seems to be a lighter shade of grey in comparison to the 2011 RD release. As for the splatter, its totally different to the way they decided to do it on the 2011 release. This movie shoe looks much better in my opinion. I think it is the lighter shade of grey on the soles which make it superior to the too dark ones on the 2011 RD and V2 releases.

The entire shoe looks perfectly proportioned when you compare it to the v2. The v2 just looks fat and bulky because its pushed too forward the gap between the laces and front toe is too short. I had to correct this from scratch on my custom template, its been quite the challenge!

When i get some more v2s later on, i'm going to rip them up and change them with my custom 2011 RD upper and some with a 1989 Movie style upper.

I will only have to tweak the 2011 RD template i've made very slightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with you airair. The V2's are not perfect by any means and it would be great to actually have the show from the movie rather than either the RD or the V2's. I always like that the original movie shoes were more "sock like". Almost like the NIKE FREE's or the older Aquasox. Its neat to see people like you trying to make a hybrid or even try the RD versions but I came to realize, as did most of the previous owners of S02's modded MP's that the more you mod these shoes, the higher the risk of structural failure. I am positive that even the original movie shoes would have failed or fallen apart if worn more than they had been in 1989.

I can't wait to see your pairs...

I totally agree with you airair. The V2's are not perfect by any means and it would be great to actually have the show from the movie rather than either the RD or the V2's. I always like that the original movie shoes were more "sock like". Almost like the NIKE FREE's or the older Aquasox. Its neat to see people like you trying to make a hybrid or even try the RD versions but I came to realize, as did most of the previous owners of S02's modded MP's that the more you mod these shoes, the higher the risk of structural failure. I am positive that even the original movie shoes would have failed or fallen apart if worn more than they had been in 1989.

I can't wait to see your pairs...

I've emailed a few people to ask if the factory is going to make a new version. You never know with them, I certainly hope a better more accurate version comes out. Even a non light version with more accuracy would be acceptable!

Got both toe mods done today. Definitely the hardest thing I've done. Waiting on my EL and I gotta order the LEDs and get the styrene and also some wiring. Also, have to get the material for the strap itself. Can't wait to get these finished. For anyone who hasn't done these yet BE VERY CAREFUL with the toe mod it is very easy to get glue everywhere, especially if you use loctite super gel glue.

Why did the guy pronounce Nike wrong? If you get a guy to voice over a private collection item at least have him pronounce the freakin name correctly.

You can clearly see Nike changed the midsole colour for the 2011 release to darker grey. The movie version has a perfect light grey colour which matches the light grey uppers.

The v2 is simply replicating the same colour as RD 2011 shoe, so the soles look too dark in comparison.

I wonder why nike chose to go with a darker shade of grey?

Got both toe mods done today. Definitely the hardest thing I've done. Waiting on my EL and I gotta order the LEDs and get the styrene and also some wiring. Also, have to get the material for the strap itself. Can't wait to get these finished. For anyone who hasn't done these yet BE VERY CAREFUL with the toe mod it is very easy to get glue everywhere, especially if you use loctite super gel glue.

Can you post pictures of your toe mod ?
I totally agree, it is hard to do but the shoe looks way better with a slim toe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back