New Knight Rider

I was under the impression they used the mustang because it's so common now. The same reason they used the past car, because it was a style of car that was fairly popular, and if you saw it driving down the road you didn't stop what you were doing and stare. Kitt is not supposed to stand out in a crowd.

And this is a sequel, not a remake. It's Michael Knights son as the hero.

My guess is Ford ponied up the cash.

GM could have thrown them something to use.

2009%20Pontiac%20Firebird.JPG

19-transam_01.jpg

firebird.jpg

I've never been a fan of the Mustang, and I'm not sure I like the choice. The new 'stang is well nigh indistinguishable from the new Charger and the new Camaro. But I'm not much of a car guy either. I think a Vette would've been fine.

Isn't this the fourth incarnation, after Knightrider 2000, and team Knightrider?

Who is the new voice? It doesn't sound like William Daniels.

GM has said there is currently no plans for the firebird. We know this could change but if they used a concept or created their own there would not be a car tie in. Granted a GT500KR is out of reach for most of us a standard Mustang is not. I'm staying open minded on this but we'll see how it goes. Knight Rider 2000 (KR2K) was awful in my opinion and since the Mustang kitt is supposed to be the 3000 series and the KR2K is the 4000 series it sounds like they are dropping that story arc (y)thumbsup.

The Mustang looks better than the new Camaro, Challenger, and Charger IMO. I grew up in a Chevy family and we owned a 67 Camaro convetible so it is not a matter of dislike for a brand just an opinion based on production versions of the above.

just remember its another spin on the series and not a remake.

I'm not so attached to the old car that I can't wrap my brain around the new one. Each is a separate entity and should hopefully be able to stand on its own. This car is cool in its own right. I wouldn't kick it out of the garage if it wanted to spend the night.

Actually... I think they were going to do a remake a few years ago. "East Bound and Down" was the working title (from the Jerry Reed song). Instead of a Firebird, they were gonna use a Charger... or possibly a 'stang (vintage). But the story was significantly different as I recall.

:love Liking that :love You just know that if that goes into production, they're going to do another Smokey and the Bandit movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about cars, but to me the Mustang looks too ordinary. That Lamboughini looks now more the way the old Kitt looked then. If that makes sense.

Maybe a Lambo or a Lotus would have cost too much, but I think that even the Pontiac Solstice would have been still in the "spirit" of the sporty style of the original KITT; the long front end with the angled nose and the bullet-shaped body. I also would have accepted them using a prototype style vehicle like the Banshee in "Knight Rider 2000." But a Mustang? That is just plain marketing. And I don't know if I like the descriptions of KITT's new functions. Someone mentioned the show "Viper." I'm getting a lot of deja vu from that show with just the brief synopsis laid out for this show.

I've been a fan since the show first aired. I have all the seasons on VHS and DVD. I just don't know about this new venture. I think there are a lot of us fans out there who are really on the fence, and the car could make all the difference whether we like it or not because, let's face it, the car really made the first show.

The trailer looked good, and I do like the Mustang in the shots. It really should be a car that can blend in a bit, not some rare, or concept car. I had that same gut reaction to it being a different car, but I am good with it now. I never liked the original car (outside of the KITT version) Always thought it was the weakest body design of the line. For me the car was cool for what it was and did, not for it's body style.
As long as it is not an econo car, and I prefer a tough car be at least a bit "manly" like the stang is, I am good with it.
My figures are crossed the show is good as well (and that it gets past the first few episodes - they do not have much time to find an audience these days before they are cut.:unsure

P.S. That Trans-Am / Firebird design is AWESOME!!

I think something that all of you are missing is that in the original Knight Rider, KITT didn't look at all different from other cars on the road at the time. He was just a 'black T top' car that wouldn't get any more attention than any other one, except for the occasional notice of the glowing red 'garage door opener' that is in the front.

Most of the other cars listed here would get too much attention. Appearing low key was one of KITTs advantages.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back