NBC's Community

Been watching the show from the start again, I'm about halfway into season 2.
I'm looking forward to the new season, fo course, but I am wondering how Greendale's campus will look now that it's neither being filmed at the real college or at the previous studio...

Been watching the show from the start again, I'm about halfway into season 2.
I'm looking forward to the new season, fo course, but I am wondering how Greendale's campus will look now that it's neither being filmed at the real college or at the previous studio...
They're using the same sets, just different *sound stages* a few miles away (used to shoot at stages on the Paramount lot, now using stages on the CBS lot). Since the college sets were boxed up and put in storage between all of the other seasons anyway, Greendale will look exactly the same, just with some new places they can go outdoors if they want to.

Yeah, I was referring to exteriors, I should have been more specific on that point...
Right, but they didn't even HAVE exteriors for more than two seasons. Just parking lots and road areas on the backlot. Those will look the same at any studio, and in season 6 they'll get to have some ACTUAL exteriors.

CommunityTV: " Tomorrow, we’re gonna show you something beautiful. #CommunityLivesOn "

B_HM1ESVAAA5JT5.png:large

Grrrr...Geo Restriction. Okay, found a Youtube link.

I will miss Troy but still so looking forward to this :). And good to see Paget Brewster, I only know her from her role as Kathy on Friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to this. It looks like they're making some decent adjustments after losing some key cast members.

I HATE Yahoo. I mean HATE!!! But I guarantee I'll be watching every single episode of Community I can get my hands on.

They had me at "***** wept, for he had no more worlds to conquer"...

But then they also had me at season 1 episode 1... so whatever... been in for a while I guess.

Don't forget, Keith David is nobody's 4th Ghostbuster! :thumbsup
Man, I can't wait for this, this trailer makes it look like they're going back to what made the show great to start with!

Now, all that said, what's the deal with Yvette Nicole Brown? I'd read she was backing out of this for family reasons, but I see her on the "Odd Couple" show now. Can't be that big a family crisis if she's still on TV...

Now, all that said, what's the deal with Yvette Nicole Brown? I'd read she was backing out of this for family reasons, but I see her on the "Odd Couple" show now. Can't be that big a family crisis if she's still on TV...

I get where you're coming from, but we could try to be a little compassionate concerning the life circumstances of a person we don't know, yea?

Yvette's father is ill and she's moved over to projects that allow her more time to take care of him. The Odd Couple is a multi-camera sitcom with an extremely fast workflow, which only would require her availability for table reads and for the one-to-two short shoot days in a standard sitcom week, depending on the episode (probably only one shoot day for her scenes, since her character is unlikely to be needed for the pre-shoot day). Community, on the other hand, is a single-camera show (where each episode is basically shot like an entire short movie, with each angle covered by a separate setup and lighting rig) which requires a full work week for the main cast and extremely long shooting days (12-17 hour shoots).
A multi-cam show requires SO much less time away from her family than Community did.

For some reference--I once worked on two different TV shows in a two-week period shooting very similar scenes on both shows (Themed Dance parties) that took up a similar amount of time in the respective episodes. One was on a multi-cam sitcom (2 Broke Girls) and the other was, appropriately, Community (Single Camera Sitcom).

On the multi-camera show, to shoot the dance scenes I was hired for one workday. They had rehearsed camera blocking with stand-ins all week, so they brought actors in on the final day of the workweek. We rehearsed the sequence in the morning, went to dinner, came back, and shot it that evening in front of the studio audience with the cameras rolling. We shot the entire episode in about 5 hours. The dance section itself took about an hour of actual recording time.

On Community? To shoot the dance scenes, I was hired for 3 workdays. We shot for 14-17 hours, each day, for three days straight. That was how long the dance section took to make in terms of actual recording time--roughly forty-seven hours of work on set for that sequence.

...Yvette has a much lighter load this season. I wish her and her family well and understand her decision, even though as a viewer I'd prefer if Shirley was still on the show.

(Sidenote: roommate just reminded me that I worked on an episode of 'The Odd Couple' this season. I hadn't registered that it was the same show. The shoot went fast.)

Don't forget, Keith David is nobody's 4th Ghostbuster! :thumbsup
Man, I can't wait for this, this trailer makes it look like they're going back to what made the show great to start with!
I'm excited, too! Really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Good points on the shooting schedules. Like most people not in 'da biz,' I have no idea which shows would require the least time at the studio. I've only ever done shoots for historical-themed stuff (with myself on screen in most cases, doing 'talking head' work), not comedy or drama, so I have no clue how long mainstream TV shoots take.

So, what did everyone think?
It's hard to see it in any way other than watcing something on your computer, something I never do other than youtube.
The fact that all the actors seem to be leaving one at a time is slowly whittling away my involvement in the show, I think.
But that said, I really liked both the episodes they released today. Abed mentioning the Pierce hologram left me snickering for a while, too. And at least they addressed all those characters that have gone.
But whatever happened to the guy who founded Greendale and saved the school at the end of season 5? I expected to hear something about him.
The real commerical from Subway was, to me, the ironically funniest part of either episode...
I did note a good quote from the show:
“How much can you improve Greendale before it stops being Greendale?”
-Jeff Winger to Frankie

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back