My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - (FINISHED PICS ADDED 10/25!!!)

Re: My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - (PICS ADDED!)

slit it where the seam is and paint the cast to match the coat so it isnt so obvious

Biker

If he wants it more finished, take a strip of the same material and add that strip into the seam that's there. 3" wide strip will add 2" to the diamter of that sleeve.............that is assuming his cast will go thru the shoulder part okay.

Dave

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Jacket should arrive this week, so I'll post pics of his 'dress rehearsal' and we'll see what happens with his cast.

Hector

Re: My Son's Han Solo 'Empire Strikes Back' Costume - (PIC ADDED 9/23)

Okay, here is a pic of my son sporting the Han Solo blaster that ToothTech was kind enough to send as a gift. We got it last week and it hasn't left his side since. He even took it with him to the ER when he broke his arm (see his red cast color that he picked himself).

He even took it with him to the ER when he broke his arm (see his red cast color that he picked himself).

I bet that went over big at the hospital! :lol

Glad he likes it--have the batteries mysteriously disappeared yet?

Mom is about ready to attack it with a screwdriver and make the batteries 'sleep with the fishes.'

But we really don't have the heart to take that away from him, even if it's driving us nuts. He's been such a good sport and good boy about his whole arm situation, that we just can't do it.

He is still excited about Halloween and can't wait to get his costume on.

When we made a costume, we used a fabric tool used to make bias tape to create the bloodstripe.

We got black & red striped material, cut it into about 3" strips with the stripes running horizontally and ran it through this folding tool:

zpouch10up.jpg

As you pull the material thru, you hit it with an iron to crease it and you're good to go.

Here's a link to some instruction:

http://www.purlbee.com/mollys-handmade-napkins/

Good luck! May the Force be with you! ;)

Thanks for the advice, Steve. Actually the bloodstripes are the only thing I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish, which is funny given that I thought getting the belt and boots would be the hard part.

Okay, here is a pic of my son sporting the Han Solo blaster that ToothTech was kind enough to send as a gift. We got it last week and it hasn't left his side since. He even took it with him to the ER when he broke his arm (see his red cast color that he picked himself).

WATCH OUT!!!...it´s HELL SOLO with the left hand of doom :lol

Markus

LOL, that's a good point, Markus.

One thing I'm concerned about, and maybe you guys have some thoughts on this - is on the matter of repainting his gun.

I assume laws are in place that require manufacturers to either put a blaze orange plug on the barrel or tip of the gun due to law enforcement mandates.

So do you guys think it's even a good idea for me to repaint the gun black with some weathering? Will that get us into trouble with local authorities? With other parents in the neighborhood?

I think all that's required is some sort of orange on the end of the barrel. I see toy guns all the time that are black and just have the barrel cap. Airsoft included.

I'd say repaint it and then just paint the barrel tip bright orange.

The orange factory paint job is so lame and these toy blasters can look pretty cool if repainted and weathered:

Solo_Paint_small.jpg

If you do a nice paintjob, I'd even go so far as to just get some bright orange painter's masking tape (I've seen it at Home Depot).

You can wrap the tip in the tape and take it off later w/o messing the paint.

I was thinking that and even like some 3M reflective discs like they sell to put on bike helmets. Put one on the tip and it'll flash back at lights.

Thanks, guys! Your blaster repaint pics are inspirational. I will tackle the new paint job this weekend and post results here next week.

Any updates on this? I've been watching to get more iders'

I'm actually doing ANH solo for my 3 yr old this year. Not to steal on your thread.. but if you want to see the cut slits/ribbon idea..theres a picture below if that helps you decide on that.

I went thrifty shopping last weekend and bought a few things. Modded them up last night.

Here's what I ended up getting:
1- Button up long sleeve t-shirt for $1.29.
I modified it, but cutting the collar in half, folding it in and sewing it shorter. Then I cut the cuffs off and sewed the ends of the sleeves flat. I used the extra material from the cuffs to cover the button holes near the top of the shirt and overlapped the shirt a bit to cover the rest and creat the "open" (hairy chest) look. :lol

1- blue pair pants, just cut slits on side of the legs and did the red ribbon thing by inner weaving it. The part that sucked, is near the top you get part of the pocket showing that is white. Had to cut that down a bit and do a little more stitching.
$1.49 pants, and $2.50 for a roll of red Ribbon

1- Old brown belt for $.99. I cut down to fit a 3 yr old. I Leather punched holes in it to fit him, and some extras for the 2 hole look.
I added "part" of an old holster I had laying around to the belt with Rivots. It's a cross between the 2 hole punch belt and the gunbelt. No actual holster added yet.. as pre-school won't allow the blaster.. so undecided if I even should add it (probably will). But had somthing there now for looks.

1- pair of black boots. They do have a slight heel to them, as they are gals boots.. but for $3.99 and in toddler sz.9, I had to get them.

Have Black fabric, so going to work on the vest next.. and then, toy with the blaster idea. Probably just do the Toy repaint..or, find the one I should have laying around somewheres..

a few pics of the WIP.

shirt:
n1315757790_122403_3260.jpg

Shirt/Boots:
n1315757790_122402_2976.jpg

Pants:
n1315757790_122401_2714.jpg

Belt/Pant: (black fabric under for vest)
n1315757790_122400_2410.jpg

Joe

btw.. they have this in size 4/5 xs at Walmart. Not bad.

0060605589229_500X500.jpg

Okay!! Today was the debut of my son's 95% completed Han Solo costume. Here are the pics. Let me know what you guys think. Bloodstripes are the last detail and will be added this week for Halloween day. Otherwise, it's done. Shirt is the only item I am unhappy with as it is store bought. Down the line, I hope to have one custom made.

Very happy with how it turned out. My thanks to LadySewForUs and 99CentTaco from the Dented Helmet forums who jammed out the rockin' jacket and the amazing belt/holster, respectively.

Psyched with how it turned out. Anxious to hear what you guys think. Pics are at my brother in law's house at a little Halloween party they threw for the kids.

Hector

Last edited:
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back