My Back to the Future Collection and Projects

Re: My Back to the Future props and Projects

I emailed the producers of the Erlewine Chiquita if it is possible to purchase all of the necessary electronics and hardware for the guitar minus the pickup and bridge. A stock Chiquita, at least from Erlewine, doesn't have the right pickup or bridge. I'll update when I have an answer.

I emailed the producers of the Erlewine Chiquita if it is possible to purchase all of the necessary electronics and hardware for the guitar minus the pickup and bridge. A stock Chiquita, at least from Erlewine, doesn't have the right pickup or bridge. I'll update when I have an answer.

Well, I'm definitely interested in seeing how this goes.

Oh, and I don't have any proof one way or another about the movie guitar. But this is kind of interesting, look who is holding the Chiquita.

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/index.html

Again, not proof but I would think that they know their own guitar and chose that image for a reason.

If you remove the bridge of the Erlewine, you'll have holes in the guitar body as the bridge from the Hondo was smaller ^^

If you remove the bridge of the Erlewine, you'll have holes in the guitar body as the bridge from the Hondo was smaller ^^

If I were to get this 3D file made by a CNC company I wouldn't have that problem.
10830504_10203764714586391_409181453229727699_o.jpg

I decided to pull the trigger on an ebay auction for a Hondo Chiquita. I got it for $342 shipped with a soft Chiquita brand case, a Honey Tone mini amp, and some new picks. Not too bad considering these things go for at least $450 for the guitar alone. I also found an accurate black knob and possibly the plug marty uses for the amplifier. It's the only one I could find that had the metal circle at the end. I actually plan to play this so it won't go to waste as just a prop.
$_3.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJ!0FGn,qjZsJBRr6Cl4tE!~~60_3.JPG

$_3.JPG
If anyone knows where I can get accurate black pickups and headstock cover let me know.

Last edited:

I decided to pull the trigger on an ebay auction for a Hondo Chiquita. I got it for $342 shipped. Not too bad considering these things go for at least $450. It even comes with a carrying case and a small amp. I also sourced an accurate black knob and possibly the plug marty uses for the amplifier. It's the only one I could find that had the metal circle at the end. I actually plan to play this so it won't go to waste as just a prop.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjQwWDQ4MA==/z/5HYAAOSwECZUqZi1/$_3.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzQ1WDUwMg==/z/yoAAAMXQBg5Rr6Cm/$(KGrHqNHJ!0FGn,qjZsJBRr6Cl4tE!~~60_3.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDI4MQ==/z/dZAAAOxy039TMybh/$_3.JPG If anyone knows where I can get accurate black pickups and headstock cover let me know.

I was following this, but shipping would have been too expensive for me :/

I originally thought that the screen used guitar was a Erlewine, but it could have been a Hondo. You can tell by the style of the silver bridge. The yellow Hondo on ebay has the same bridge as the movie guitar. Are there any pictures or statements that show that the screen used guitar was an Erlewine?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xnBKPY_t0...0dVwgIZ-0/s1600/back_to_the_future-guitar.jpg
http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/img/large/chiquita/new-yellow-detail1.jpg

The one used in the movie was the Korean-made Hondo version, not the US-made Erlewine version. The giveaway is the shape of the black truss rod cover on the headstock and the Hondo "H" logo that can be briefly seen when Neil Canton's name is on screen.

So you got the right one, but you would need to swap out the white Hondo truss rod cover for a black one to be accurate.

I got my Chiquita in the mail and the black knob put on, but my phone I should broken so I can't post a picture at this time. I will in about a week.

Last edited:

I figured I could just take the guitar to a guitar shop and buy some compatible black pickups. I'll also paint the headstock cover. And I found out from playing it that the E and A strings have terrible fret buzz and sound bad when played even when properly tuned. All the strings have fret buzz, but the first two have it the most. New strings and some tweaking will fix that.

This is my guitar as of now. I recently requested a white flip switch instead of a black one so I'll see what happens with that. I got them to move the black and white knob in a more accurate place. If I could speak chinese I would ask them to move the tone and volume knobs around slightly to be more accurate to the real guitar, but it would be too hard to explain in English to them as they are not as fluent as most people would like, so I just let it be. I will order black and gold Gibson knobs around when the guitar is shipped.

The original stock guitar had silver pickups and the black and white knob was lower. When I get it I will install some Gibson black and gold tone and volume knobs. And also replace the gold screws with grey and silver ones in their correct places.
HTB1HfvOHXXXXXaNXXXXq6xXFXXXu.jpg

HTB1_hTKHXXXXXbNXpXXq6xXFXXXq.jpg

Last edited:

Im looking at 5 ply pickguards and brackets. And I was able to grab this gold varitone plate today. I contacted an ebay seller that had one of these for sale last year and he just happened to have another one that he didn't put up. I was lucky he was willing to sell it. It's a reproduction but still stupid rare.
10495329_10203875888205662_8628057763575041758_o.jpg

Would anyone know where I can find a 5 ply 60 degree bevel pickguard that has the gap above the bottom pickguard?
SnapzProXScreenSnapz021.jpg

I was going to get Indy Magnoli's awesome vest, but life is a b**** sometimes and I got a traffic ticket I had to pay instead. Still wanting at least something, I got this for a decent price on ebay. I'm going to try and get a vest from the same company in the same color to use for extra material to make accurate pockets.
10310698_10204145229539027_2117329495824331961_n.jpg

Compared to the real thing.
11060319_10204145229699031_5856672199572928762_n.jpg

Last edited:
My parents know that I'm a huge BTTF fan, so they got me ordered me this jacket for my birthday. I will eventually also get the Magnoli jacket as well but I will get it myself. It will be my display only and rare occasional wearing while the one my parents got me will be used as a normal jacket. Ill still take good care of it though.
denim.jpg

djacketm.jpg

I can't do much about the main bluish grey part of the jacket, but I have some blue denim fabric from a real guess jacket I will use for the shoulder pieces, pockets, and collar.

I decided to keep my order for the Magnoli vest. I will still work on the woolrich vest though. I might end up selling it when it's done, but I'm not 100% on that.

Nice gift! Can I ask you who is selling the denim jacket?

Maxcady.com They have small and 2XL left in stock but will restock in April and sell them on ebay. But I emailed them directly and they sent me a paypal invoice. It's a japanese site, but the email correspondent speaks very good English.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back