My Back to the Future Collection and Projects

Re: My Back to the Future props and Projects

... It appears to me that the end and middle parts are separate boards pieced together to form the 11 1/2 x 11 1/2 measurements. From the crates I have seen, they all seem to differ.

Yes, that's true. At some crates the ends and middle are pieced together from three or more boards and some crates have just two boards as you can see at the following "Carmencita" crate. It's difficult to say, how the screen used crate is made - the 4 pictures that we have are too bad. But I guess it's same there. Those crates are all the same - if you want an original one, search for "Sunkist crate" on eBay or Etsy. :)

Attachments

• carmencita1.jpg
    carmencita1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 81
  • carmencita2.jpg
    carmencita2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 84
  • carmencita3.jpg
    carmencita3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

The crates originally had side panels on all four sides when they were unopened. Here is a picture where you even can see our well known crate. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• fruit_art.jpg
    fruit_art.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 861

Nice picture, and they look like pine which is nice and easy to get also. I originally didnt think it was going to be pine but that picture just about confirms it with the grain of the wood seen. I used a planer and got the sides to be the correct thickness, then used a hand crosscut saw for that authentic rough cut edge. We will see how it all turns out.

Do you think the skateboard is actually from one of the plank from the crate? X)

That's a really nice idea, but my calculated length of the skateboard was 28 1/2 inches. Someone told me, the diameter of one roll of the roller skates is 2 inches and that was where I started my calculations. You have an original pair of roller skates. If the diameter is smaller than 2 inches, the skateboard could actually be made from two panels on top of each other (one panel alone is too thin).

It wouldnt be wide enough though Roland, one plank is only 5" wide, even if the diameter is smaller then 2" the width would have to be close to 7 or 8 inches.
I think it would be cool if it were true, but not realistic. I am curious if you think the board is made out of solid wood or plywood? The pictures it is hard to tell.

Yeah, I didn't think about the width. My fault. So let's forget that idea.:lol

I guess it's solid wood since it's more usual in the 1950s than plywood (thinking of furniture).

Last edited:

In an effort not to clog up this thread anymore then I already have I made a new post about the crate.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=231603

on a side note does anyone know how I can get the full HD footage of the 3 BTTF movies on my computer? I have the BD but dont have a BD player on my computer. I want to be able to do high quality screen captures without looking on my TV. I dont even mind paying for them if I have to but I dont know if the movies available from Amazon are true HD.

... on a side note does anyone know how I can get the full HD footage of the 3 BTTF movies on my computer? I have the BD but dont have a BD player on my computer. I want to be able to do high quality screen captures without looking on my TV. I dont even mind paying for them if I have to but I dont know if the movies available from Amazon are true HD.

I have all three movies as untouched MKV HD files - that means best quality Blu-ray rips. But the files are very large - all together 68.7 GB. I don't know in which way I could give you the files.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my files are german dubbed (no english sound). But I guess it doesn't matter, since you need it for screen caps only.

Last edited:

Thanks Roland, I am going to try and have a friend rip the Blurays for me. Or I guess I will have to buy a BD drive for my computer.

I came across a 3D file for the Erlewine Chiquita guitar for $50. Does anyone know of a company that would CNC the file for a reasonable price?

I actually found another file by a different person selling it for $20. Seems a bit fishy.

Last edited:

This fabric you can order by the yard has the correct amount of hash marks unlike the Shah Safari reproduction. It was confirmed by screenused.com that the screen used shirt was custom made for the movie. If we can get these replicated in a run we would be able to have affordable replicas.
10915018_10203761107576218_4684415740232593318_o.jpg

http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/130468

I came across a 3D file for the Erlewine Chiquita guitar for $50. Does anyone know of a company that would CNC the file for a reasonable price?

I actually found another file by a different person selling it for $20. Seems a bit fishy.

You don't have to make this. You can still buy these, the company is still around.

http://www.erlewineguitars.com/pgs/contact.htm

$499

Are you just making it look like a guitar, or are you trying to make a real guitar?

Preferably a real guitar, but a nonfunctioning replica would be fine I guess. There is a yellow Hondo Chiquita on ebay, but its getting a bit too pricey.

Last edited:

Preferably a real guitar, but a nonfunctioning replica would be fine I guess. There is a yellow Hondo Chiquita on ebay, but its getting a bit too pricey.

I'm not sure a person could duplicate a working Chiquita inexpensively.

That Hondo is probably as inexpensive you could get an accurate-looking working guitar.

I'm not sure a person could duplicate a working Chiquita inexpensively.

That Hondo is probably as inexpensive you could get an accurate-looking working guitar.

Are the electronics completely custom for the guitar? If just the body of the guitar were replicated I was planning on buying electronics for it.

I originally thought that the screen used guitar was a Erlewine, but it could have been a Hondo. You can tell by the style of the silver bridge. The yellow Hondo on ebay has the same bridge as the movie guitar. Are there any pictures or statements that show that the screen used guitar was an Erlewine?
back_to_the_future-guitar.jpg

new-yellow-detail1.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back