Mord' Sith - Legend of the Seeker. The definitive costume research thread.

Hi guys this is some great stuff! However i'm a guy and i'm looking to make a male Mord Sith costume. Instead of the dark red color I want to use black and make black agiels also. Of course i wont be making a corset but a similar (and not so tight) armor type piece. I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this before or if i'm the first. Basically my vision is Edward Scissorhands meets Mord Sith. This will only be about the fourth costume I have made and i've never worked with leather. I want to make a neck piece and leg piece that resemble that of the Mord Sith too. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice or comments. Thank you....

Indra, you're pretty much on your own here in terms of how to make your costume. Male Mord'Sith don't officially exist in the books that I recall so there aren't even any descriptions to go from. If I were to approach the project myself, I think I'd probably take elements from the D'Haran soldier's rig as well as the female Mord'Sith. Maybe some loose leather 'trousers' that were a little tighter in the thighs so the thigh holster could be worn with out bunching up material. It might be challenging to get anyone to recognize what you're going for but if you do a good job, people should like it anyway. Heck, when I wore my costume out over Halloween, only one person I met actually knew what I was doing (and she was ecstatic). Everyone else just called me a dominatrix. If they only knew...

Hi guys this is some great stuff! However i'm a guy and i'm looking to make a male Mord Sith costume. Instead of the dark red color I want to use black and make black agiels also. Of course i wont be making a corset but a similar (and not so tight) armor type piece. I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted this before or if i'm the first. Basically my vision is Edward Scissorhands meets Mord Sith. This will only be about the fourth costume I have made and i've never worked with leather. I want to make a neck piece and leg piece that resemble that of the Mord Sith too. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice or comments. Thank you....

I think this definitely a unique idea, and done right could be hot as well...a good looking man in leather :love One option is to have a professional leather crafter work with your ideas. Legend Costumes on Facebook is a great source for a lot of stuff, and I heard that she has a new vendor that is supplying hand-crafted Agiels and they would probably do a custom black for you. PM me and I can give you more info on some leather craft contacts I have. I hope you go through with it...I know how it is to be a "horse of a different color"

Hi!

I'm new here. I know there is a lot of threads talking about making a Mord Sith Costume, but I'm really not good with sewing and all this stuff. Do you know who I could contact to buy one? I can't afford the screen-used ones on EBay plus they wouldn't fit me anyways. (I'm not allowed to post in the Junk Forum for the moment....)

Hi!

I'm new here. I know there is a lot of threads talking about making a Mord Sith Costume, but I'm really not good with sewing and all this stuff. Do you know who I could contact to buy one? I can't afford the screen-used ones on EBay plus they wouldn't fit me anyways. (I'm not allowed to post in the Junk Forum for the moment....)

Check out Legend Costumes on Facebook. She is offering a Cara version for a little under a grand for the catsuit and the belt with leg piece. I guess it all depends on how screen accurate you want to be. I am making my armor (I purchased the catsuit from Legend Costumes and I LOVE IT) and have spent about $160 in buckles alone, and that doesnt include the $200 for leather or all the small hardware. I figure when all is said and done, I will probably end up spending a little over a grand, which isnt bad, when one considers the original went for well over 6K. BTW Legend Costumes also offers an amazing Agiel :)

Indra, you're pretty much on your own here in terms of how to make your costume. Male Mord'Sith don't officially exist in the books that I recall

OK, I just finally read the first book "Wizard's First Rule" and Denna said her first trainer was a male, whom years later she killed and took his Agiel, which is the one she was using.

So while no other mention of them in the book, it shows that male Mord'Sith actually DO exist in that world, though they never showed any on the TV show. I'd think they'd have a similar type of costume to the females in a variety of ways if they were to be brought into the real world.

The female mord-sith costume really plays up the female form - skin tight clothing to show off and not hide any curves, heels on the shoe to elongate the leg, and the whole costume is really a play on the dominatrix look.

For men, I would think you would want to play up a man's best features, maybe something a bit Roman or gladiator in style if I were to do it, something to show off the abs, the biceps and maybe leg muscles. Maybe have two leather straps criss-crossing over the chest (blood red), maybe matching red leather pants that are similar to the females version, maybe a large wide belt with a huge buckle. Maybe armor over the whole length of the arm, or separate shoulder and forearm armor that connect together somehow at the elbow. To finish I would add some very masculine boots to compliment the feminine boots that the female mord-sith wear.

In the mythology of mord-sith in the books, there are only female mord-sith. The explanation for this has been described very little. This could be a slave mentality by the Lord Rahl, to always have females around him serving him and doing his bidding.

I remember from the books that Denna's training was difficult because she was harder to break. They were almost going to kill her because of it, but then if I remember correctly, Lord Rahl took it upon himself to train her, and he finally was the one to break her. In my mind, the male trainer of Denna probably didn't wear a mord-sith style costume, that was reserved for broken Mord-sith who could train people, that was their uniform. I would think the male trainer wore whatever uniform he wore that was befitting of his station, perhaps a First File member, a hired trainer from far away, but I personally don't think he was actually a male Mord-Sith who wore tight red leather. But since I don't think this was actually explained very well, so we are all free to imagine what we want. I've come across a few males on FB who want a male version costume and so I would love to see what they come up with. I think it should compliment the female and match in some sort of way, using the same leather and all that.

Cara's trainer was a female, whom she nicknamed Snake because of the snake-ish smile she gave Cara when they first met and when Cara was first captured. Traditionally, it's been female Mord-Sith who go out and retrieve little girls and bring them back to the People's Palace. I think this male trainer of Denna might have been the only male trainer described in the books.

If I were to make a male costume I would research gladiator costumes and maybe male dominatrix costumes on google. EDIT: Make sure you have some sort of safe filter on if you google/bing male dominatrix, I didn't see any costumes just some disgusting mutilation pictures!

Hi Folks,

I just recently noticed this discussion here, though I've been frequenting this forum for a while.

I can confirm that my company, Historic Enterprises, is the manufacturer and retailer of the two styles of buckles used on the neckpiece, and I am the creator of those original designs. We had sold quite a few of these to the production company, but it didn't hit me that they were used in a popular series. Legend of the Seeker actually only came to my attention when today a customer asked when we'd have those back in stock and that they were used in this series.

Currently I have an order in with my manufacturer and hope to get the new stock just after the first of the year.

Since I had no idea that people were so interested in this series and recreating these costumes, I had no idea that I should keep better inventory on those buckles. I will try to do a better job now, so you folks can have exactly correct buckles for your outfits. The ones we still sell are all made in the same molds that the ones used in the series costumes, so you can have ones exactly like the screen used ones.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock, President & Master Armourer
Historic Enterprises, Inc
Ramona CA
Historic Enterprises, We're making history

PS- you might also be interested to know I made the armour and many of the weapons for Army of Darkness, back in '91. Small world, eh?

Hi Folks,

I just recently noticed this discussion here, though I've been frequenting this forum for a while.

I can confirm that my company, Historic Enterprises, is the manufacturer and retailer of the two styles of buckles used on the neckpiece, and I am the creator of those original designs. We had sold quite a few of these to the production company, but it didn't hit me that they were used in a popular series. Legend of the Seeker actually only came to my attention when today a customer asked when we'd have those back in stock and that they were used in this series.

Currently I have an order in with my manufacturer and hope to get the new stock just after the first of the year.

Since I had no idea that people were so interested in this series and recreating these costumes, I had no idea that I should keep better inventory on those buckles. I will try to do a better job now, so you folks can have exactly correct buckles for your outfits. The ones we still sell are all made in the same molds that the ones used in the series costumes, so you can have ones exactly like the screen used ones.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock, President & Master Armourer
Historic Enterprises, Inc
Ramona CA
Historic Enterprises, We're making history

PS- you might also be interested to know I made the armour and many of the weapons for Army of Darkness, back in '91. Small world, eh?

This is amazing news! Thank you so much for taking the time to join and share this information and availability with us!!!

There are people interested in buying the corset buckles. Where can we find these, do you know?

centerbuckle.jpg

Wow! Glad to see this thread hasn't died yet. I've been sidetracked on RL and other projects and haven't started any of my LotS stuff. Also, my Mord'Sith is away til the beginning of February.

I came really close to picking up some fabric for my Rahl the other day, but it ended up being too narrow. His robe is definitely a chenille with a vertical texture or pattern to it, but the fabric I found had the pattern running the width of the fabric. Unfortunately it was only 54" wide... I'm 5'11", so i would need more than 60" wide fabric to get a back cut that is the right length.

If anyone in their fabric shopping runs into a nice, deep red, textured chenille with the pattern running lengthwise please let me know.

Hey,
I have just found this thread and what a blessing it has been, saved me so much research! I have my catsuit on the way and was wondering what people are doing for the boots, anyone found a source for them or something similar?
Look forward to posting on here more :)

Jo

Hey,
I have just found this thread and what a blessing it has been, saved me so much research! I have my catsuit on the way and was wondering what people are doing for the boots, anyone found a source for them or something similar?
Look forward to posting on here more :)

Jo

If you're on Facebook, there is a group dedicated to this very thread here:

Mord'Sith Leathers Group | Facebook

You might find the info. you're looking for.

Our "Heart shaped" buckle
Buckle, Bronze ''heart-shaped'', 1-1/4'' [SL-BK13] - $7.95 : Historic Enterprises, We're making history
fc592db62c546905c8e17b3055055bea.image.239x250.jpg

and "Ulrich" buckle
Buckle, Bronze, Ulrich Busch Effigy, 1-1/8'' [SL-BK10] - $13.95 : Historic Enterprises, We're making history
566336e0b9c98b516fd1b2cdb5806f27.image.230x250.jpg

will be back in stock next week.

You might also be interested to see the offering from another US company, which seems to be a more likely candidate for the corset buckles:
https://www.quietpress.com/later.html
B-28.JPG

Look near the bottom of that page, at items B-28 and B-32. I believe these are actually the buckles shown in the closeup photo posted above, rather than the buckle from Italy.

Best,

Jeffrey-----
HistoricEnterprises.com

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back