Model Hogwarts

Took a new shot from my layout after watching my own copy of Deathly Hallows 2 that came out Friday...

11-11-11b002b.jpg

and here is a shot of the original prototype, Goathland Station

temp2.jpg

Last edited:
Dam thats big. If its the same one that i saw a picture of in the paper today, it's due to be on display at the Harry potter studio tour here in th uk.

Mark,
(if you still monitor here) regarding Universal's models of Hogsmeade, you wtote:
The buildings were a combination of resin-cast brick, stone and shingles (so they could be done in sheets)

I assume you mean that the resin-cast brick was scratch-made? I'm imagining modeling building fronts and sides in modeling clay (each stone shaped and textured with X-Acto knife) RTV molds made of each clay piece, then cast in resin with alterations (like opeings for doorways and windows) for individuality. I would expect to use a very similar method for producing several dozen dormer window units -- am I way off base?

Thanks,
-Clay

Essentially correct- although I cant say for sure how the original pieces were sculpted before molds were made; I suspect it was indeed clay.

They were just sheets of brick, stone, coblestone or shingle about 6 by 8 inches or so (going from memory here) with no other details. Holes for windows and doors where cut into the sheets. All the doors and windows were made from photo-etched brass. The dormers were again made from the sheets of cast stone/shingle, etc. The dormers were each individually built. There were also several different chimney sculpts that were molded/cast and repeated on the buildings.

Mark

Mark,
(if you still monitor here) regarding Universal's models of Hogsmeade, you wtote:

I assume you mean that the resin-cast brick was scratch-made? I'm imagining modeling building fronts and sides in modeling clay (each stone shaped and textured with X-Acto knife) RTV molds made of each clay piece, then cast in resin with alterations (like opeings for doorways and windows) for individuality. I would expect to use a very similar method for producing several dozen dormer window units -- am I way off base?

Thanks,
-Clay

Soooo yeah.

With the giant model out and resource pictures abundant, who's ready to tackle this big boy??? I know I'm looking into it myself!

A guest of a model railroad show in Timonium, Maryland recorded the brief video below of my version of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade Station last month and posted to YouTube:

Hogwarts HO - YouTube

Its not HD and is a bit wobbly, but overall gratifying to receive the attention.
-Clay

Last edited:
Hello to everyone - new on this site - first time posting. But specifically was interested in this castle build - having found out well after the fact (since HP is now just a DVD memory) that the castle was NOT location shots and CGI alone....but rather a huge model. Now I'm on the similar quest to spend more time and money than I should to attempt to build a version of it - naturally at a much much smaller scale than the original model - I mean who has a 50' X 50' X 20' more or less room or larger to do this in? But I've gotten this wild buzz on to build a version of it utilizing a LOT of stuff I've found now that the movies are in the can so to speak.

I'm planning on a scale that will allow for a space about perhaps 4'-5' by about 7'-8' where my pool table - which we're getting rid of - sits now. Trouble is this plan in my post below is the layout more or less of that UK model. And it's more SQUARE than long. My planning includes a detailed architectural style layout plan (I'm NOT a draughtsman - I can just draw well and use a ruler) and have a working drawing to go from....see the next post of this layout - has to be redrawn. I'm gearing up to get this build started sometime in the near future. So I guess I AM ready to "tackle" this process. Love to build stuff anyway and this just looked like a huge challenge. What I'd LOVE to do is to take a good amount of time, detail this thing to the hilt as much as humanly possible (and magnifying glasses will allow for and a steady hand) and get mine as detailed as I possibly can - moreso than many of the models I've seen built so far. I've amassed about 114 photos of the detailed model, about nearly 400 screen shots of the architecture, several videos, a paper model version layout (which I will use only for reference) and a few other model ideas from digital gaming builds of the castle, and I plan to "adapt" my version based upon the UK version which has some elements of the middle movies more than the real early or the last films - where the viaduct is much longer which increased the geography landscape footprint and knocks out the front of the grand hall courtyard to add those gates where the battles take place in the front of the space.

Lots of compromises for such a radically reduced scale I'm sure but I'm going to give it my best shot to see what I can come up with. Going to keep a blog someplace, a running video perhaps and obviously many photos and running expense accounting to see where this goes. Then I'll likely take many shots of it when it's done, keep it for a while and then sell it to the highest bidder at that time. We'll see what happens. Wish me luck. It's going to be a HUGE project. Oh, yeah, gonna try to LIGHT it too. Am I insane or what?? Don't answer that.

Anyway about time I signed up here and learned from other people's work.

---------------------
icanbuildthat

Last edited:
Here is the layout I quickly sketched up using the book that shows an actual architect/designers plan for the layout. It's kind of sketchy because the photo was one that someone had taken of the two pages in the book and it's a little off sqaure in perspective. But it's sort of the plan I intend to try to use. This is a bit different in some ways but the basic design is kind of what I had in mind. Thoughts anyone?? Ideas always welcome.

castle layout.jpg

And HERE is the same with the book that has the plan in it. I'm only showing this because I DO own the $75 dollar book that this photo came from. And it's just for review - all rights to Warner Brothers on the book which is great I might add. Everything you ever wanted to know about the making of those films. The actual footprint is a bit different in the actual UK model. They've apparently cut away some of the extraneous landscape behind the Great Hall and this side of the bridge rather than let it be that rounded shape shown. They may have shifted a lot of things so it is a little different.

castle layout with book.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
would it be of interest to you guys if I put the photos I took from the studio tour up in the gallery? They aren't great, and I didn't take as many as I would have liked ( my little boy was desperate for a wee), and I'm sure the gallery will be flooded with better pictures soon.
Good luck to anyone who tries to tackle this!!
minifig

Hi all,
would it be of interest to you guys if I put the photos I took from the studio tour up in the gallery? They aren't great, and I didn't take as many as I would have liked ( my little boy was desperate for a wee), and I'm sure the gallery will be flooded with better pictures soon.
Good luck to anyone who tries to tackle this!!
minifig

Is it against the rules (and copyright laws) to post photos even if they're your own?? I have about 100 photos of that UK model but could always use more - especially on the back side not just the front and ends. There are plenty of those photos around. Just not too many of the back side of the model sort of more back behind and especially since they have a building added in there in most of the model photos I've seen, yet in others it looks like they moved it out of the way and it isn't there. Seems it was just inserted to bulk out the space in the ravine to the inside of the courtyard that is just off of the huge tower - and behind it - that's next to the Great Hall and between the Great Hall and the "church" building some have called it down in that ravine between the two main areas but at the back side. I see it in some of the small models they used to develop the big model and in some of the shots showing the end past the greenhouses, and yet in other photos is NOT there at all. They've also removed the building at the end of the area knows as the training grounds that used to be a residence building or something. That's not there at all in the later films as it was in the very beginning. They've moved the willow tree from that area also to another locale as in the later films. But that ONE building that has a tower as well that sort of blocks the hospital wing bridge section that crosses from one building back over to the clock tower building it's there in some photo views and not others. I'd love to see more shots of the backside of the model.

But again are photos like that allowed here or is there a copyright issue? I could post some photos I've found - there are a lot - if that's the case if people can use them. They're out there on the net and free otherwise I'd not have been able to find them. But always on the lookout. And I do not nor would I post someone else's photos just because I found them. Some of them are shots that people took just like you did visiting the display. Some I don't know where I got them now. But I DO NOT nor would I ever violate copyrights in any case for any reason. Just not the way I do things.

Thanks

AHA!!! A EUREKA moment. I finally figured out what that "extra" building was. It's NOT an extra building - just looks like it because the photos are deceiving. It's actually the one side of the courtyard just beside the Great Hall that's connected to the big round turret thing. VERY deceiving in the photos because of perspective. But I've finally figured it out by looking at many photos and the architect/designers plans. Makes more sense now. Good so it's NOT an extra building after all - just looked like it. Now it's gonna be easier to build I think knowing what it is. Very cool.

Last edited:
I have a few I took at the tour as well, they are not great as the colour changes quickly and I was down to using phones by that stage as the camera battery had died.

O.k.

I've uploaded a dozen or so of the better photos of the Hogwarts model to the gallery...they're in the 'sorcerers stone' folder as I figured it was originally built for that, even though I know it was altered as the films went on.

With regards to copyright, I'm pretty sure Warners wouldn't have encouraged the taking of photos if they weren't expecting them to end up on the interweb!

m

O.k.

I've uploaded a dozen or so of the better photos of the Hogwarts model to the gallery...they're in the 'sorcerers stone' folder as I figured it was originally built for that, even though I know it was altered as the films went on.

With regards to copyright, I'm pretty sure Warners wouldn't have encouraged the taking of photos if they weren't expecting them to end up on the interweb!

m

WHOA!! THANKS for these added photos. They're great and will add to the 100 or so I have of this. They're great. I love that they change the lighting to blue for night in that display - really adds to the look and of course their lighting. Perhaps if anyone else is interested I should UPLOAD MY nearly 100 photos too of this model - that is if people are interested and would consider them useful. I have a lot of photos that are NOT the night shots (I do have some of those as well) and mine aren't as close always as these are - though I have zoomed into areas and fixed the detail and coloration of them. There is such a variety of color to the brick work on this building and it's bound to be a fun one to try to detail as much as possible. Although it IS going to be virtually impossible unless I can get the tiniest tools and pieces that match. The bell towers especially - I mean each opening in those area near the top have like 3 - 4 columns each with it's own capital and base and at scales small enough to fit into a small model - well as I said before numerous times MAJOR COMPROMISES will have to be made. But I do want to try regardless. Maybe I'm nuts - don't know. But it just looks like a fun model to try to build. Wish I had more space where I could make it a lot bigger - not as big as the original but bigger.

So if ANYONE else is interested in more photos of this - since you're right about copyright issues since they encouraged the taking of the photos so much (they want it to get out there and be seen by fans and tourists so they can make back their money - as if they haven't many times over already). But I'll upload mine if ANYONE wants them for reference since I guess it's okay to do that as reference shots.

Thanks again for these photos - they'll be added to the arsenal. If anyone DOES want them I'll upload them to the gallery in the HALF BLOOD PRINCE folder since this model was the one (according to the book) was the one the model was designed for with many changes after that for the final films. But let me know and I'll do that this weekend some time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back