Model Hogwarts

hmm, when I go to do this, Ill have to experiment and see what I can do. I have no experience doing anything like this. :lol

can you even install some leds?
Thats my plan when ever I do this project! I want to have lights inside and out. and if I ever found a permanent home for it, I would put some sort of mini pond to be the lake and everything!

Mates,
I have installed interior LED lighting in some rooms. In the shot below, you can see glow from the Great Hall and the upper floor of the building across the main bridge. There are other lights as well, but don't show up well in these photos. About 1/4 of the windows in the big cylindrical tower are illuminated.

1z5j5gn.jpg

That is really cool! I noticed it in the viaduct entrance and Great Hall, but never in the tower. When I get around to this, I want to be difficult on myself and put lights in as much of it as possible. The viaduct bridge has lights on it, theyre in metal brackets, so I want to do that. I think I mentioned before how I want it to look like the castle in the final film, so the courtyard will be bigger and everything.
Basically, when I get older and have my own place, I want to have a big house with a good sized entrance and I think it would be amazing to have Hogwarts right there in the middle of the room. :lol I think it would be a good focal point and around Christmas time I can make it look Christmasy haha

Yes, those are the Universal models for WWoHP. I didn't built them, but I did rehab all of Hogsmead a couple times and built a few of the shop buildings as the design of the park changed. The part I can take the least credit for is Hogwarts itself- really just did some repairs and touchups on that here and there. And I had to take it apart once and hack big-old holes in it from behind and underneath so the windows could be lit from inside (nerve-racking!).

These beautiful models were built by the HP movie model shop folks in the UK. The hardest part I had to do was match their wonderful work when I had to build a few buildings from scratch. Their work was really top-notch and it was nice to be able to learn from how they did things.

cgraham- what do you want to know?

M

They're beautiful - frankly, it would be worth a 900-mile trip to Orlando just to see these models. Are they on display to the public?

Sad to say I don't know what the current fate of the models is. They were a highly-guarded asset while WWoHP was being built, but not so much once everything was done. If they do still exist, I'm pretty sure they aren't on public display.

I almost forgot- I built the loco too:

2955655097_a3289e9435_z.jpg

2955656131_3bcc4c6be7_b.jpg

M

That is amazing work and I am in awe. I bow to your Kung Fu.
I must ask, what mediums did you use for sculpting the loco and buildings' stonework? Also, if you recall the scale you were working in, I would live to know.

The scale of everything was a strict 1/4"=1' (O scale in model RR scales) and everything was taken directly from the engineering drawings. However, you have to realize that the castle was scaled down from 'reality', and the scale got smaller as it went up. If you are ever at WWoHP, you'll see what an effective visual trick it is.

The buildings were a combination of resin-cast brick, stone and shingles (so they could be done in sheets), and press board, basswood, and photo-etched brass for the windows. A little styrene here and there was used also. The snow was a modeling compound (can't recall the brand name now) like you'd find in craft stores; very similar to Crayola Magic Modeling compound.

The loco was a combination of styrene, expanded PVC sheet plastic, brass wire, laser-cut acrylic parts.

Mark

Last edited:
I can't upload the foto but type in hogwarts deathly hallows 2 n go images google of course LOLZ.....there's one pic of hogwarts and its the one in the last movie it's a really good pic to...it's actually from the game but Its good.....P.E.A.C.E...!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back