Enterprise studio model color question

Djh69

Since the studio model is the A version and not the original refit from TMP, shouldn’t it have the blue string back color pattern? All the Christie’s auction pictures clearly show the green strong back paint scheme. (Pictures below) I’ve seen the studio model a couple times at Blue Origin, (unfortunately they don’t allow pictures to be taken or I’d have taken a ton of them) and it’s definitely green and not a faded blue or some color issue with the camera. I’m trying to get paint to match and the Trek Modeler guide is vague about this part. Mixing a bit of this and a bit of that is hardly specific. Figured I’d ask here about all this and see if anyone had any answers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4783.png
    IMG_4783.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 80
Well consider that what was on film had the color graded (changed) in the final print and there is also the color of the studio lighting as apposed to the lighting where it is on display.
Plus the color settings on your monitor / TV.

Model kit's usually come with decals of both blue and green.
The ship QMX offered had green.

Since the studio model is the A version and not the original refit from TMP, shouldn’t it have the blue string back color pattern? All the Christie’s auction pictures clearly show the green strong back paint scheme. (Pictures below) I’ve seen the studio model a couple times at Blue Origin, (unfortunately they don’t allow pictures to be taken or I’d have taken a ton of them) and it’s definitely green and not a faded blue or some color issue with the camera. I’m trying to get paint to match and the Trek Modeler guide is vague about this part. Mixing a bit of this and a bit of that is hardly specific. Figured I’d ask here about all this and see if anyone had any answers.
You may want to consult these pics then, which were taken in better lighting; you'll see that the secondary hull strongback on the A is indeed bluish:

md_enta-41.jpg
md_enta-49.jpg
md_enta-52.jpg

Source: Mark Dickson/ Paramount Pictures; link: Starship Modeler: Star Trek: Movie Starship Reference

I would strongly suspect the lighting where you saw the filming model. As you can see here, it can skew the colors:
8a2738a790c321e3d4c4d38e32c030a9.jpg

The lighting has a yellow cast to it, which is going to skew the rest of the hull colors. I would consider the source carefully, given that in real life, the filming model is pretty white overall (trim colors notwithstanding).

It’s not far off from being the green from the refit after all this time and fading. Bezos has it sitting in the lobby of Blue Origin. Should be in the Smithsonian next to the TOS model.

I am confused as usual. I agree these amazing pics look blue but didn't Djh69 start this thread saying seeing it in person it is green for sure????:?

1) No camera in the world captures color the way human eyes see. Any color palette captured by a recording medium is severely limited by comparison to what we can see with our eyes.

2) Film stocks are further biased in the way they translate color. Particular film stocks were chosen precisely for the unique ways in which they represent given colors; this is why film stock color tests were shot routinely. The question of Superman's blue is: "What color does the material have to be to look a certain way by the time it's photographed?"

3) The color of the lighting and surrounding contributing ambient color also plays a critical role in how a color is captured.

4) But this is just the beginning. From the moment the film comes out of the camera, every step along the way irretrievably alters the color, as does every display device the colors are displayed on. It is physically and practically impossible to state in any definitive way "what color something was." It ultimately comes down to perception and preference. If you'd like a color to look the way it did to humans in the studio, you can only guess; it is impossible to accurately capture, and usually so different from how we end up seeing it as to be unbelievable or upsetting. If you want it to look "like it did in the theater" - also impossible. As printed on what sort of film stock? From which generation in the run? With which temperature lamp in the projector? On which screen? With what ambient color or lighting present? No two experiences were identical. Try to do this with a display device like a monitor or television and the problem gets infinitely worse.

It's depressing, but also liberating. It's your Enterprise. Paint her how she should look. We can obsess over things like dimensional accuracy; it is absolute. Color is not.

Best

Sci-FI model

Ever

Well...

Second best - to the Death Star.

Maybe fourth or fifth (M. Falcon, X-Wing, ESB SD)

OK - Best Star Trek model EVER...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back