Millennium FX Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Jedi

I can't seem to find the thread on the Millennium FX Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver. Was this the one that sold for hundreds of dollars and had a limited run of 500? So the one that was made and is screen accurate didn't have any sounds in it only a blue light?

I can't seem to find the thread on the Millennium FX Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver. Was this the one that sold for hundreds of dollars and had a limited run of 500? So the one that was made and is screen accurate didn't have any sounds in it only a blue light?

Yes, with the remaining stock bought up by a London-based dealer last month.

Out of interest - I don't have an issue with the lack of sound, but I know some prop replicas out there do have sound (Trek stuff for example). What about the MR Star Wars blasters? Do they have sound chips?

Cheers

Doug

I still desperately want one of these. I'm bummed that a dealer purchased the last load of them. I was hoping that they'd go down in price towards the end of March, during the sale because of MFX not being able to sell them after April 1st. Then that jerk went and purchased the rest in bulk and is now charging even more than MFX was. Con man.

So yeah, I doubt I'll ever get one now :(

What were they selling for? I can't believe they don't make a sound though. It's harder for me to pretend and make a SS sound. I can do lightsaber sounds though!

They are getting £299, but I've seen one sell for £450 in the last week on the collectors market. It's likely to be the only licensed version ever made available now as it was a nightmare for them to make and get to the market. The low edition will probably see them disapearing into collections permanently. I've only ever seen three offered for sale on the secondary market since September last year.

Don't know a thing about the quality of his repos, but I do know he's banned.
[/url]

I really want one of those Celestial ones, I'm just still in the process of talking myself into spending the money. I've read some independent reviews, and they seem to indicate a really good piece.

I agree about the sound issue, so I never looked at the Mfx version. I can't wrap my head around buying a sonic screwdriver, unless it's totally sonic'ed up.

I hear he's out of China and they make them to order. Were there guys on the RPF that didn't reveive the ones they ordered?

I really want one of those Celestial ones, I'm just still in the process of talking myself into spending the money. I've read some independent reviews, and they seem to indicate a really good piece.

I agree about the sound issue, so I never looked at the Mfx version. I can't wrap my head around buying a sonic screwdriver, unless it's totally sonic'ed up.

I hear he's out of China and they make them to order. Were there guys on the RPF that didn't reveive the ones they ordered?

Oh, I never heard anything like that. From what I've read he's absurdly full of himself and acerbic when he gets onto internet forums. Therefore, he's turned a lot of people off. But I did a little research, and every indication is that he's a skilled craftsman and a reliable seller.

I'm sure the banning was well-deserved for failing to play nice with others. But that's not necessarily anything that bothers me personally; I have a long-standing policy of separating art from the artist.

I've never heard of his customers not receiving their sonics from him- yeah, he can be very bad-tempered with people (not customers, though!) who don't agree with him, but he knows what he's doing, he's got excellent customer relations, and his sonic screwdriver replica is second to none.

Thank goodness for the lifting of the rule that you can't talk about banned members :)

Anyway, mini review of his sonic that I own:

Very solidly constructed, easy to disassemble for battery replacement, excellent overall look. The paintjob is perfect, the sound is nice (not the sonic screwdriver sound you'd expect, but it's there and it's good quality), the LED is nice and bright, it extends and retracts smoothly and solidly... The slot in the middle is thinner than the prop, and the perspex tube is a bit frosty around the red and black wires, but everything else looks to be spot-on in terms of screen-accuracy (the head and end cap are especially great to look at).

Overall, an exceptionally fine prop replica, worth every penny. As a customer of CT's, I can say that I highly recommend his products.

P3300683.jpg

Last edited:
How quickly people forget.

I think it's more like the product speaks for itself! A lot of people out there were slagging off something they had not seen (and in the case of the MFX replica, praised what they had not seen). In the end the craftsmanship of CT has won out & a lot of detractors have been left with egg on their face, selling MFX versions on ebay & stubbornly refusing they were wrong re CT's product.
If people want a correct but better than screen replica Sonic, a better by miles than MFX sonic, a Sonic that has sound & easy slide action then CT is the person to buy from. You'd be mad not too! (or too stubborn). It's a no brainer

I don't know why you think the MFX is such a piece of junk. Mine has no problem with the slider and looks great. Sure there's no sound, and that's a problem I'm going to tackle myself.

I'm not going to say anything about the CT because I'm tired of necroing arguments. It's impossible to have a fair discussion on the subject.

your not going to get a more accurate screwdriver than the MFX one. Theirs was reverse engineered from the original prop so there was no guess work making in 100% accurate. That goes for the sound too, the real one didnt have sound so neither does the MFX one.

Also, its nice to have its heritage considering Milliennim Fx do the characters for Dr Who

I don't know why you think the MFX is such a piece of junk. Mine has no problem with the slider and looks great. Sure there's no sound, and that's a problem I'm going to tackle myself.

I'm not going to say anything about the CT because I'm tired of necroing arguments. It's impossible to have a fair discussion on the subject.

I didnt say it was Junk at all. Its a nice little prop but its not the best. I suppose the only way to judge is to compare the two side by side. True the TV version didnt have sound, but it doesnt mean that a replica with sound is a 'No go'. The RB classic series Sonics have sound, also unlike the original TV prop, & people want that saying its a great addition. Everyone liked the CO toy, that too had sound, but I didnt hear customers moan about that cos it wasnt like the silent TV prop.

Fettster you can get a more accurate screwdriver than the MFX one, its the CT prop (the original didnt have a die cast emitter section to name one flaw). Just have a look at those who have a CT one and you'll soon seen the difference especially when the CT season 3&4 version comes out. Yeah heritage is OK, but for me quality, accuracy & sound is better. At the end of the day its personal choice of what we want from our Sonics and the good thing is we have a choice.

Ok, seriously, when we say something incorrect we're flamed for it on his blog, but when his supporters say stuff that's wrong they get off Scott free. Comparing the MFX and CT sonics side by side would not tell you which one is more accurate, they're based off of different props. The only proper comparison would be to compare each one to the respective prop it was copied from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back