Merlin Models AT-At build and mods

Thanks for the kind words on here , and youtube :).
Well, i wasn't planning on selling these as a kit, but i guess if you fancied a set i can cut some out for you. There will be little details missing like the Universal greebly, and a couple of other kit parts. It is a tricky build, with quite a few real screws (some complete, others cut down) and fiddly details to work with. but that never stopped me before LOL.

I will think ahead and iron out any potential issues for the modeller from the design. If you fancy a set, i guess i can do it for you !
I would definitely be interested in a kit, hopefully with all of the fabrication work already done (pistons, cut down screws, scribe lines (?), etc). I figure I can source the original kit parts needed.

I would definitely be interested in a kit, hopefully with all of the fabrication work already done (pistons, cut down screws, scribe lines (?), etc). I figure I can source the original kit parts needed.
I got a few of the parts even before I had the kit lol

Hi everyone.
Well i've been bashing my head, trying to work out a cost effective way of making some sets of legs up. To be honest, i don't think i can do it. The hours taken to complete a set will make them very expensive, also the legs need to be fabricated using some of the original Merlin kit parts, as you can see in the video. So i've come to the conclusion that unfortunately, the only way i can possibly offer these is as an unmade kit. You will need to do a fair bit of work to make them up, and modification to the model parts as seen on the video.

I'm sorry guys but an unbuilt cut Acrylic kit is the only way i can offer these.

If you're still up for the challenge, just let me know and i'll organise the parts and get a price.

The Merlin Models AT-AT may not 100% but it's close enough for me.

Ever since I first saw them on screen I thought these machines were incredible and I always wanted a model that was detailed, articulated and BIG. Merlin Models has been the only one to make my dream come true and I knew when I first saw their model I just HAD to have it. And when I first saw it in person (BIG shout out to Peter Lawrence) it was even more impressive than I imagined. I found it hard to believe it could all fit in such a small box.

Suffice to say I love it and am so grateful to Ethan and Justin for filling the void with a great product.

In saying that though I have been picking up some kit parts from vintage kits that ILM used on the AT-AT and decided to take some pics of them to compare them to the AT-AT kit.

View attachment 1715804View attachment 1715805View attachment 1715806View attachment 1715807View attachment 1715808View attachment 1715809View attachment 1715810View attachment 1715811View attachment 1715812
These are the reasons I sold off my kit. Merlin Models showed all the kits that were being studied to get the kit parts correct but they didn’t achieve that in this kit. I wanted to build this and sell off my MR walker, but ended up keeping it since it was so much more accurate. I hope Merlin can go back and update it for future releases.

Yes, another fantastic video Andy!
Excellent approach to this overhaul. It's really coming along nicely.
And loving the comentary on your thought process behind the decisions that you have made.

As a side, can I ask what type of camera you shoot your video's on?

Yes, another fantastic video Andy!
Excellent approach to this overhaul. It's really coming along nicely.
And loving the comentary on your thought process behind the decisions that you have made.

As a side, can I ask what type of camera you shoot your video's on?
Thanks man. Just doing what i feel is needed for the collectors. I shoot the vids on my phone !. It probably shows, but it will have to do for the time being. Thanks for watching the vids Bjorn. :)

Thanks man. Just doing what i feel is needed for the collectors. I shoot the vids on my phone !. It probably shows, but it will have to do for the time being. Thanks for watching the vids Bjorn. :)
Perhaps others could tell, but the vids look great to me. Keep em coming mate!

I thoroughly enjoy your videos Andy and they look great to me, so much better than my videoing efforts off my phone also. End of the day, folks just like the interaction of the maker to the model in hand.

Hi again folks. Well its been a while, and a fair bit of paint has been thrown around. I did a few more mods on the Merlin AT-AT. Split the chin guns so they can recoil under the head, added the correct rear panels and side guns and a couple of other bits. I've tried to follow the feel of the ILM paint job, all the splatters etc, i think its close enough for me to live with. Base colour was to match a screen shot with the warmer feel than the Chronicles books detail reference, and i think its in the ball park for sure.
IMG_6011.jpeg

IMG_6012.jpeg

Still working on the final base ideas, but the model is pretty much done now, bar the little things which may bug me after i've looked at it for a few days. I always find something after stareing at it for a while.
So heres the finished thing with all the chipping and edge work, as well as a dose of snow for good measure. More to be added if the base ends up with snow, and the feet need matching into the environment.

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6175.jpeg

I'll drop the video on here once its finished uploading and you can see how i did the painting.

I think it came out pretty good with the mods and tweaks. It's certainly nice to be able to pose it without all the hassle of breaking the joints apart with every movement.
Now it just needs its special base and some snow to walk through.
Hope you folks like it, happy modelling everyone. :)

Heres the final video for this build folks. I tried to replicate the little details as best i could, whilst trying to keep the paint technique as close to what i presume to be the way they were painted back in the day. I hope it shows something which may be useful to you in your endeavours with these fabulously different star wars paint jobs. :)

Absolutely awesome !
...and very inspiring.

Would you mind tell us your snow recipe ??
My recipe is very simple. Tamia snow :).
I tried a few different makers, warhammer, and such, but found the Tamia to be just about the right look without all the crazy reflectivity of the particles that others seemed to have.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back