Merkymerx's The Amazing Spider-Man Build using Sonjou's Pattern (Pic Heavy)

Re: Merkymerx's The Amazing Spider-Man Build (Pic Heavy)

Thank you so much for the positive feedback you guys! I appreciate it :)

You beat me to it! I was waiting until I had a few more progress photos, but oh well =) I also have a Sonjou pattern printed by fabric on demand, and I'm using the same puffy paint, and the same applicator bottles, and some of your process pictures are identical to mine! I puffpainted the separate mask first, and put it together. I'm having trouble lining up the webs...Have you begun work on any part of the mask yet?

Looking forward to seeing your photos! :D

You've started sewing your mask? I hope everything would line up okay in the end though.

I'm very excited to work on the mask so I'm saving it for last haha!

Re: Merkymerx's The Amazing Spider-Man Build (Pic Heavy)

Thank you so much for the positive feedback you guys! I appreciate it :)

Looking forward to seeing your photos! :D

You've started sewing your mask? I hope everything would line up okay in the end though.

I'm very excited to work on the mask so I'm saving it for last haha!

The pattern I got had two masks. One which was attached, and another in case I wanted it to be separate. I used the separate mask as a prototype, and to see how difficult each task would be on the rest of the suit. (from honeycombing, to webbing, to sewing) I initially fabric glued the mask together at the seams. It looked alright, and stretched on my head decently. so I locked it in with my sewing machine (using a ballpoint needle so it doesn't tear through thee fabric.) It's not the easiest thing in the world getting those webs to line up. Especially on the sides of the head. Another part that gave me troubles was the part on the front piece of the mask, those two curved slits pointing towards the nose. you really want to follow the curves (maybe even exaggerate it) because if it's too straight, it'll make your face come to a weird point. I've got a few pictures

The side where the seams mostly lined up.
50f03202.jpg

And where they didn't
f5b827f7.jpg

And the front. I just used black fimo for the eyes. I plan to spend more time on the actual finished eye frames. and glossy black/blue paint.
67ad95bb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures amazingspider. Are you still planning to repair your mask?

Made a lot of progress with my suit!

253548_3718646451009_658977392_n.jpg

Finally got one boot done! The darn thing took forever. A total nightmare to puff paint.

421610_3718647331031_1351921219_n.jpg

Closeup of boot details.

400921_3718648171052_1827662967_n.jpg

Started work on the left arm.

576912_3718650371107_1113871406_n.jpg

Left glove in progress.

578576_3718652131151_1424954356_n.jpg

Left shoulder done!

545877_3718653771192_474307445_n.jpg

Thumbs are 50% done. My girlfriend painted these for me :)

I'm hoping to get at least 90% of the suit done over the weekend. Will be getting some help from friends. It's really tough trying to puff paint a whole suit in under 3 weeks. I wish I had more time haha!

Your suit is looking SO great! I've got all the pieces puff painted except for the main body. I finished a boot,(I'm not sure what it is about the boot, but it's an absolute nightmare to paint) and ran out of puff paint, so I haven't been able to continue. I'll probably be picking some up tomorrow after work. I've already started sewing the arms together, and I can't figure out the thumb/palm.. this suit is a large headache =/ but well worth it =)

Your suit is looking SO great! I've got all the pieces puff painted except for the main body. I finished a boot,(I'm not sure what it is about the boot, but it's an absolute nightmare to paint) and ran out of puff paint, so I haven't been able to continue. I'll probably be picking some up tomorrow after work. I've already started sewing the arms together, and I can't figure out the thumb/palm.. this suit is a large headache =/ but well worth it =)

Thank you for the compliment!

The boot is a nightmare because the hexagons on there are really tiny haha! I really disliked applying the texture on it but the end result was totally worth it.

Hey, nice build! I have a quick question, I got the same pattern from sonjou as you did, but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to puff the back spider, because it has no guide. How did you, or how are you planning to do it? Thanks!

Thanks for the great feedback you guys :)

Hey, nice build! I have a quick question, I got the same pattern from sonjou as you did, but for the life of me, i cant figure out how to puff the back spider, because it has no guide. How did you, or how are you planning to do it? Thanks!

I'm actually not going to puff paint the back spider. I'm planning to cut up a cheapo red silicone iPad case and glue that on the back pieces once they're sewn together. Hopefully all goes well!

Once again, thanks for the great feedback, everyone :)

looks fantastic! how did you get the emblem looking so clean?

Mostly it was just a lot of careful painting. But I made sure to apply it in layers to try and get everything as even as I could.

During our lunchbreak at work, I was able to run a few of my Spidey errands.

541219_3744153448668_2052681294_n.jpg

Got the paints I needed for some of the parts of the suit. If it's of interest to anyone, I bought Tamiya Deep Metallic Blue for the lenses (left) and Racing Blue for the web shooters (right).

271045_3744153048658_1307982330_n.jpg

I also picked up some stuff from a diving shop close to our office (just found it by luck). Redtogusa, in his build, suggested using a neoprene sock for the shoe gluing process. The store had a sale so I went ahead and bought an inner compression shirt for times when I want to remove the top part of the costume.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back