MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Thanks much for the update. Weren't you in contact with Sommers at some point and got the original color codes from them? Or were you just able to confirm that they still did have a record of the correct color and would still sell the original stuff with a huge minimum order?

I feel you pain on the investment so far. To this point, I've ordered the square-shaped prismatic adhesive vinyl in pink, then purple. Then I finally found the correct honeycomb stuff with Rowlux and ordered Passion Pink, Chrome Red translucent, solid, Clear, etc. Then I ordered the material Phillipes sold. I don't have as much money as you invested in trying to get the right stuff, but I may not be too far behind.

If you were able to find out the color codes of the 100% original and correct stuff, I actually think $130 is doable for those wanting complete accuracy. But if the color you are eventually going to arrive at is based on visual comparison and so won't be 100% accurate, then $130 sounds like a bit more, since the possibility will remain of either getting material in the future that is slightly more accurate or eventually getting access to the correct original material, meaning that we'll have to spend the money again.

To be honest, though, I think the material you posted originally was very promising. It looks like you're within a couple percentage points of the real stuff.

The hero board had rounded off top bevels? I though all of the boards had angled bevels. I guess you learn something new every day.

Yes Sir, the Hero boards... most of them, had rounded bevels. The foam boards, and later wooden versions had angled bevels.

I don't know what Nick means by not entirely true because I pretty much said the same thing.

I_Dunno.JPG

I don't know what Nick means by not entirely true because I pretty much said the same thing.

I_Dunno.JPG

I was just talking about the difficulty we've had in defining what a "hero" board is.

Is it a wooden board with lenticular?

Foam board with lenticular?

Wooden photo board?

Of those 3 only one has filets rather than chamfers. It's just difficult to nail down "universal" answers to any question about the boards since so many variations were made.

The same haziness surrounds questions like: What did they put on the edging of the hero boards? Should the indents in the interior magnet brackets have a backing to them or be open to show the board? Green velcro or no green velcro? Do you NEED a handlebar hole in the front magnet ot make a board "accurate" to a hero board?

Basically what I was saying is that there is never just one answer to a question about Hover Boards...and it's part of why we're still sitting here, with the same expression as that baby most of the time. :lol

-Nick

Ah, righto. I very much understand where you are coming from there, Nick. :lol

Personally a "Stunt" board, to me is one that lacks the magnet assembly altogether. I consider most of the Hoverboard's to be "Hero". I usually try to translate on TheRPF though because many people consider the photo boards to be "Stunt" and only the boards utilizing lenticular to be "Hero".

It is kind of funny how we're all still kind of stumbling on what is Hero and what is stunt. I think at the end of the day it's just going to come down to personal preference.

I want to live in a world where photo boards AND lenticular boards can sit side by side, Hovering together in harmony without being called "Stunt". :lol

Hoverboarddisplay-1.jpg

I want to live in a world where photo boards AND lenticular boards can sit side by side, Hovering together in harmony without being called "Stunt". :lol

Hoverboarddisplay-1.jpg

"...no wheels below us/above us, Deloreans fly/imagine all the plutonium/Libiyans sore and hurt/yoo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo........

By definition, the hero props are props that are for the close ups, that look like they are imagined to be. Stunt props on the other hand don't have to have the detail or superior workmanship as they are for further away shots in film where the resolution of such detail will not be picked up by most viewers of film.

So to get what you hope for, either the hero's need to look crappy or the stunts need the same fine detailing, which most studios would are not willing to pay for.

Hero's and stunts are what they are, it is interesting to see the differences of such pieces from a prop maker.

I WISH when a manufacturer such as Matty says they are going to produce a greatly detailed replica, that they fulfill that promise to do so.

The thing is - BOTH types are used for close ups.

Even in the initial few seconds of the Hoverboard chase there are closeups of photo boards.

Many of the most iconic Hoverboarding scenes were done with photo boards. Take this one for instance:

vlcsnap-2012-11-22-00h24m35s218.png

IMHO: The definition of Hero VS Stunt for Hoverboards are more up to the individual since they used photo boards just about as much in closeups as the lenticular boards. There is almost no right or wrong for this designation - it's what the individual believes.

Though, as I said... for me. No magnets = stunt. The type of material/decal used isn't a decider for me on which board is a stunt or a hero. They swapped lenticular for a decal because it was cheaper and easier, not because they were making only stunt boards.

The least detailed boards would be the ones that completely lack the magnets. Footpads got changed from board to board, yada yada yada. Magnets. That is where the designation lies for me.

Stunt:

429555_10150660489199844_1096493348_n.jpg

Last edited:
We've mostly been calling the lenticular boards the "hero" boards due to that being the original board construction method, before they switched to an alternate/quicker construction method using a photo background, the fact that lenticular material is a higher-grade graphic material than the photo background, and the lenticular board was what was seen in "money shot" closeup.

But the term is really not exact when it comes to hoverboards. As many have mentioned, the photoboards were used in many scenes for both the far and close-up shots. If a board is being used in close-up shots then many consider it a "hero" board.

It would be more accurate to refer to them as wooden lenticular boards, foam lenticular boards, wooden photoboards, and foam photoboards, and add + wheels or - magnets to designate rare special-purpose boards, but "hero" and "stunt" are so much easier to type, so people will most likely still use "hero" for a lenticular board and "stunt" for a photoboard, with mention of material (wooden vs. foam) usually omitted.

I say we need some sort of grading system for boards. Like an L1 could be a wooden lenticular board with full velcro, a P2 could be a foam photo board with no magnets. Or more simply a W-L is a wooden lenticular, and a F-P is a foam photo board.

I feel like if we started doing that we might not like how many variations actually exist. Plus we'd probably need a full novel-length guide just to decode the grading. :lol

...Maybe it's best we don't know.

-Nick

"But the term is really not exact when it comes to hoverboards."

Actually it is. In this case, it is the continuity of the director and producers of the film to make sure hero's are used properly when filming. Star Wars had the same problem with some characters and light sabers but the industry definition stands.

In the BTTF films, I think they had two issues, use of stunts when they though it would not matter, and a supply issue of the hero's being destroyed during rehearsals which prevented their use at critical points of filming later on.

Update from mattycollector.com:

"We were REALLY hoping to have PR samples by now to send out to some key fan sites (BTTF.com is way owed one!) but due to a snafu they haven't arrived yet. We will likely get some in, but it will be very close to the sale date and not sure if we can get them to reviewers in time. We are trying! This is way to important of a piece not to get out samples if possible.

Worst case scenario is I will do a video with the early final sample we had at NYCC (I still don't have a final production sample beyond that one!) but that one does represent final product. It just is a pre-run for final check off.

More details as soon as I know when our PR samples are coming in (if at all! Arg!). That should clarify all remaining product questions! ;-)"

I say we need some sort of grading system for boards. Like an L1 could be a wooden lenticular board with full velcro, a P2 could be a foam photo board with no magnets. Or more simply a W-L is a wooden lenticular, and a F-P is a foam photo board.

I feel like if we started doing that we might not like how many variations actually exist. Plus we'd probably need a full novel-length guide just to decode the grading. :lol

...Maybe it's best we don't know.

-Nick

You forgot to add a code for the edge transition, beveled vs. radiused (chamfer is the specific bevel type, but not many people know or use this word, and fillets refer to the rounding off of INSIDE corners).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back