MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

The most expensive part of my hoverboard was printing the decals. But that was only because the rest of it was made of pretty cheap materials. The whole thing came out to be about $40-45. If a really accurate hero board was made, it would probably be around $200 give or take.

Last edited:
Maybe for a future board. I wanted to keep the costs down on this one. So far this project is about $8 :lol

No, no, your idea is really very good. Not only because it's cheaper, but because I can imagine that it comes very close to the original stunt board, maybe closer than Vinyl. I will try this myself.

Mine print of Roland's decals were done on a semi-gloss and then laminated. They came out good.

Sorry to sound stupid but what do you guys mean when laminating.
I understand what laminating is, but what do you use to laminate the decals. Is it those thin plastic sheets that you use on book covers?

Sorry to sound stupid but what do you guys mean when laminating.
I understand what laminating is, but what do you use to laminate the decals. Is it those thin plastic sheets that you use on book covers?

A picture is worth a thousand words:

attachment.php

No, no, your idea is really very good. Not only because it's cheaper, but because I can imagine that it comes very close to the original stunt board, maybe closer than Vinyl. I will try this myself.

I even got my 2015 news papers laminated so they can be handled without concern. You can see how colorful they come out even in my avatar.

:thumbsup Thanks, i have one of those but the only paper i ever seen is in a4 format. When print out the decal i am going to do it 1:1 size.

I have laminating film sheets in A3 size, so it's perfect for the A3 version of my graphics. That version is not bad, since you can hide the cutting edges under the pink velcro strips (at least on the upper side of the board).

Just got an email from MattyCollector. Hoverboards are "On the way to our warehouse", and will be shipping Dec. 1st. Cards used to place the orders will be charged 3 days prior, on Nov. 27th.

Just got an email from MattyCollector. Hoverboards are "On the way to our warehouse", and will be shipping Dec. 1st. Cards used to place the orders will be charged 3 days prior, on Nov. 27th.

Great news!

At first I was like "what the heck?! Where's my email?" then I checked my phone and there it was!

This board and the v2 K-Mag are what I've been waiting for all year!

Just got the same email. I'm a little scared, as I don't know how these are actually going to look in person. But I'm keeping my order.

Just got my email too. Not sure if I still want the hoverboard though. LoL Seeing as how i'm buying another car. :/ decisions, decisions.

Well... there's always re-sell. There's definitely going to be a market for the Presales for the Mini-board.

I'm keeping mine, despite the nonsense. I'm a big enough fan of BTTF, that if Mattel had just announced it and showed off the board they did at NYCC, i'd still have bought one. It's not the screen accurate replica they said it would be, but for what it is, I like it.

I got the email too. Now I need to decide if I want to have the CC info updated so the charge can go through or not, as the card I preordered it on was replaced by my CC company. It may not even be necessary since it's the same company, and the charge gets carried over. Bah, choices choices.

Just got my email, too. But only for one of the boards I purchased. (the second is for my brother).

I dunno, I'm still a little excited about getting it.

When it comes down to it, $120 isn't bad for the base board with sound effects and the pink velcro. Everything else is coming off, including the magnet assemblies if I can possibly hack them off without destroying the electronics.

Lenticular details coming soon... What do you guys think of the color?

Clock88, whatever happened to the details that were coming soon on the lenticular material you posted? It looks like you just called Rowlux for a sample of Barbie Pink—the color I suggested. Will you at least confirm that this is/isn't their Barbie Pink color?

If you came up with some custom color and are in talks with a company to do a run, fair enough, but since the hoverboards are about to ship I'm wondering what my options are as far as adding real lenticular material to the board. If you have access to accurate-looking material and plans to share the source or do a run, it would be cool for you to let us know soon before we glue something else down to our new Mattel boards.

Clock88, whatever happened to the details that were coming soon on the lenticular material you posted? It looks like you just called Rowlux for a sample of Barbie Pink—the color I suggested. Will you at least confirm that this is/isn't their Barbie Pink color?

If you came up with some custom color and are in talks with a company to do a run, fair enough, but since the hoverboards are about to ship I'm wondering what my options are as far as adding real lenticular material to the board. If you have access to accurate-looking material and plans to share the source or do a run, it would be cool for you to let us know soon before we glue something else down to our new Mattel boards.

I already posted a link to a Junkyard link here that got deleted by a mod (to see if there was interest). Right now it is too expensive.

No; it's not a custom color print from Rowlux or even close to Barbie Pink (Tried it and it looks way too purple. What you see is NOT what you get). I've also gotten a lot closer than the photo's I posted here.

It's been an absolute nightmare trying to nail the perfect color. I have spent over $1,300 on getting these test prints made up to get it down perfectly. This is why I am not blurting out any information. It's taken way too many hours. Even just +2 or -2 on the Hue or Sat value changes the material in dramatic ways. It seems so easy... but it really isn't. If it looks correct in one light it looks bad in another.

Right now, I can't sell it to a reasonable price to anyone without it putting me out of pocket. I want to make some money back from what I have spent, but at the moment it's costing me 50 bucks per hoverboard side (100 bucks per hoverboard). I am going to have to sell it at least for $130 total (for both sides) to make a little bit of money ($30 total profit per sale), but that is way too expensive for most people.

I am trying to get the costs down but no luck ATM.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back