MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Looks like an interlude right before the final battle. As for me, it took some time and I had to send them a link to their own FB page to prove my point, but they finally cancelled my hoverboard order. Pfew.

Well, just sent in my cancellation, here's hoping I don't have any trouble with it. Looks like we are well on our way to having picture perfect boards here anyway. Never underestimate angry nerds I guess.

Does anybody know what colour the magnet holders are on the Hero boards?

It looks like a salmon type colour in some shots, then dark orange. I think I saw one that had a lighter colour to it as well, on the board that Marty picks up and puts in the DeLorean.

PH_Mattel_board_only.jpg

4lqym.jpg

Last edited:
It would be great to have real colour values for at least one or two parts of the board, then we could at least try to relatively colour match the rest.

I found a stash of hoverboard photos yesterday (from when Bob Gale brought the two hoverboards in to Mattel), so I'm going to do some more matching from those. I was thinking the Mattel measurements were for hero boards, but it looks like they were both stunt boards afterall.

Yeah, we'll be waiting a while for those though.

brown.jpg

PH_Mattel_board_only-1.jpg

I think it's pretty clear why this is so difficult. :)

Second one actually looks like Rustoleum Berry Pink. Lord knows.

spray-paint-upside-down_thumb.jpg

It's almost going to just come down to personal preference, even if we do get the colour values... they are just the values for one board (Only 1 of Bob Gale's Hoverboard has the Magnet assembly).

This is one thing on the Hoverboard that I'm sure varied. Gale's board is probably just painted with Testors Red or something. The Hero boards, and various others seem to have a more orange finish... some look just like a darker pink.

If only people who owned these boards weren't so set in their ways and would actually post about them.

The colour looks a bit off in that shot. I think it's a bit cold, making the red look a bit more blue tinted.
And I just noticed that the magnet bracket is out of alignment.

It's amazing how much variation there is in these boards, and yet somehow Mattel still managed to get it completely wrong to every single one in every single way. :lol

If I ever make a hoverboard, I'd probably go slightly darker and more saturated than those values. Not that I think it would be more "correct" (whatever that is), but I prefer the look of the images that have them look that way. A little girl's toy would probably have more vibrant colours.

Yeah, Mattel screwed up big time... lol

As for the pinkish brackets, this board has the same colour.

PH_Mattel_board_only.jpg

bottompic.png

But I gotcha, the hue is a bit off in that shot. The neon pink doesn't really look too neon, it all looks rather dull.

As long as I don't have the exact color codes, I will use this image as a reference for my own board.

attachment.php

Right, however the difficult thing is... What colour is that.

I've scoured the internet looking for a salmony, terracotta model paint. Nothing that is greatly accurate has been found.

The closest things I've found, to give you an idea... is like Boyd Sunburst Red.. and stuff like competition orange. Bright colours, nothing quite so dull as that. Maybe it's just me, but I can't match that colour. I simply have no idea.

I'm a weak-ass colour matcher, I fully admit that right now. Well, except for the guess of the Testors Panther Pink for the Battery box.. that is pretty damn close.

I don't think there's so much variation. The appearance of the colors rather depends on the lighting (daylight/roomlight, shadow/direct sunlight).

As a general statement I was referring more to the shape, which they got completely wrong, although in regards to colour, I really meant how much difference there appears to be from image to image.
I'll work under the assumption that all boards were probably painted the same colour, and any variation is due to the factors you mentioned, and probably aging over the past 20+ years.

Off to top of my head I can think of one paint that might be similar. Testors Ford Engine Red. I used it on a build over a dark base if I'm remembering correctly...

Maybe they used a dark or medium primer and that is what makes the Red so dull?

Here is one of Bob Gale's Hoverboards compared to a BTTF123 Replica. Obviously it isn't just a straight red, it's quite a bit more orange by comparison... and dusty.

IMG_0556-2.jpg

I'm thinking they used a lighter colour on some Hero boards, and just used orange/red for the later Stunt boards.

yeah i think red oxide will be close enough..watch out though every brand will be differant

ive got some plasticoat brand in the shed , maybe get you a pic later

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back