Man of Steel costume thread

Looks good to me, would like to see more. The cape looks good and LOVE the bigger S - the Returns one was horrible (dinky little thing on his chest) so far this one is a thumbs up from me:thumbsup

It totally blows. Too dark, I despise the texture, and why, oh, WHY do they feel they have to make his chest shield a big, plastic monstrosity??? And they wonder why the Reeve suit grows more and more beloved as the years pass. I miss the good ol' days when movie makers had common sense.

I don't think the S shield is too big, just too high on the chest. Remember, Routh's S shield was a bit on the small side.

I agree about the texture of the suit. It seems that all new superhero costumes are going this texture route. Let's see how it plays out.

I can't wait until the Siegel-and-Shusters do their period piece Supes, because this making-Superman-relevant to-modern-times thing is recockulous. If there's one superhero that needs no context, it's Superman. Of course he's out-of-step with the times. He has always been out of step; he should always be out of step. That's the point of the character and the story.

He's Moses raised by corn folk; how is that "relevant" to modernity? Except, you know, to emphasize moral codes? Truth, Justice, and the American Way, everyone! Superman's the one superhero who gets cats out of trees for kids with no sense of irony whatsoever.

I dunno; I know the people at DC do their best being stewards of an iconic pantheon of characters of myth and fable. I know you have to break Batman's back every once in a while, and there's going to be a million Green Lanterns, and I can never remember if Aquaman has his hand now or not, but Jim Croce said it best.

And where did you hear that they are doing a Supes movie? I've never heard this.

I can't wait until the Siegel-and-Shusters do their period piece Supes, because this making-Superman-relevant to-modern-times thing is recockulous. If there's one superhero that needs no context, it's Superman. Of course he's out-of-step with the times. He has always been out of step; he should always be out of step. That's the point of the character and the story.

He's Moses raised by corn folk; how is that "relevant" to modernity? Except, you know, to emphasize moral codes? Truth, Justice, and the American Way, everyone! Superman's the one superhero who gets cats out of trees for kids with no sense of irony whatsoever.

I dunno; I know the people at DC do their best being stewards of an iconic pantheon of characters of myth and fable. I know you have to break Batman's back every once in a while, and there's going to be a million Green Lanterns, and I can never remember if Aquaman has his hand now or not, but Jim Croce said it best.

People always complain about the ****in' suit. Just get used to it.

nicolas-cage-superman.jpg

They always complain about the suit because it always ****ing sucks.

I like Zack Snyder's work, I like the cast (including Cavill), but the suit sucks and so does his hair.

And I don't want a period piece.

*****, how hard is it to make a good movie?

Personally I think that DC/WB needs to stick with doing animated movies of these characters. It just works better.

So far this is making Routh's suit look like a masterpiece...

I like the larger S-shield, and it reminds me of John Byrne's version, but the rest of it doesn't really hold up.

My biggest issue is how odd all of the textured pieces look together, but then mixed with a normal fabric cape. I don't think Aquaman's fishscales look good on Superman's costume. I think if the boots and S-shield were plain they would look a lot better together and those weird cuff pieces seem unnecessary too.

The texture on the return suit ( tiny S) made people angry and they hated it. This one seems to have bigger and more visual S texture. The whole suit also looks a little thick..not as bodyhugging as the return one. So all that makes it look cartoony.. But that don't mean that the movie will suck.

I love the suit!
I think the toned down colors work better for a more real world feel.
And let's face it, briefs on superheroes just doesn't look right in contemporary times.

Love or hate superman returns, I think Routh was a really good choice for Supes.
Some may not like his dialog or the story around him, but his face and physical stature would work well with this new suit which in my opinion is much more believable than the Reeve suit.

Being an Art Director, it's instinctive form me to want to just tweak aspects that I feel would just set things a bit more right. It's sort of my thing.
Here's my take on what's wrong with Cavill's look.
It's the hairline and lack of spit curl.
I really would prefer a part on the side and a pompadour like Reeve and Routh wore.
But this would do in my opinion.

manofsteelsuperman_GINO.jpg

manofsteelsuperman_GINO2.jpg

Last edited:
I think if Ruth had had a better script to work with he'd have been great. I bet if you'd teamed him up with Richard Donner for superman returns it would have been gold. But you'd have needed Mankowitz writing it.
What I'd have done with this movie is open it with a variation of the Death of superman storyline and then introduce him with the black and silver costume he wore as his powers were coming back then lead into a new storyline.

I would have trimmed it more:

0804supes-bigcopy.jpg

After my nerd rage subsided, I realized it's the hair that is the deal breaker for me. Although the lack of set texture bothers me. It identifies more with Schumacher than Nolan.

Anywho, I'll sit back and wait to see how it all moves.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back