What if the design was similar to Ryan Wieber's where the set screw goes all the way through the bottom of the blade?

View attachment 451061
Yeah that actually could have been the case, though I'm guessing as far as Ryan knows, it's his own original idea. I actually have a couple of those Sabershop blades, that little hole makes it really easy to secure them in a hilt. I just wish they were a little longer. Based on the info available on http://www.proparchives.com, the movie used lightsaber props had stunt blades around 37" to 38" long when attached to the hilts, but the Sabershop blades are only about 32" long once inserted into a Novus. They're a little on the short side, but not so much as to prevent them from looking like Lightsaber blades once you add the effects.

As far as I know, any set screws were secured near the top of the hilt. You can see a screw on a Windu saber and there is a shot of an Obi Ep. III with a set screw - both in the emitter section. The idea here, as I found out with my custom V2 - the more material you have beneath the set screw, the stronger it can be.

We are still wondering the same thing, because in a lot of the pictures of props from EP I & II, you can see 2 fasteners going through the blade and the metal rod inside. However in "ROTS" bts pictures we haven't seen any of that + they are covered in a heat shrink material which causes us to believe they're attached differently. Perhaps submerged into the hilts somehow.

From saberz current projects, it appears the blades had a steel threaded lug glued into the blade with some screws crossing through the steel (or set, but I think I saw a through hole)

The saber hilts for ROTS had a threaded socket in the hilt pretty far down and the tang fed down the hilt and screwed into this socket

From saberz current projects, it appears the blades had a steel threaded lug glued into the blade with some screws crossing through the steel (or set, but I think I saw a through hole)

The saber hilts for ROTS had a threaded socket in the hilt pretty far down and the tang fed down the hilt and screwed into this socket
Our Nova Carbon blades do replicate the pushrod that was present on the ROTS carbon blades. However, on the original props, those pushrods were simply glued or press-fit into the carbon tube with no fasteners needed. For Nova Carbon, we wanted the user to be able to swap between a long screen-accurate pushrod, or a shorter one that could be adapted (using the included parts) to fit in a 1-inch or 7/8-inch blade holder. So that's why we added the set screws. They weren't on the originals, but appear on Nova Carbon for that reason. It's our one minor departure from the originals, but in my opinion is a nice callback to the Ep1 and Ep2 blade attachment method, and gives Nova Carbon a nice kinship with those blades.

Our Nova Carbon blades do replicate the pushrod that was present on the ROTS carbon blades. However, on the original props, those pushrods were simply glued or press-fit into the carbon tube with no fasteners needed. For Nova Carbon, we wanted the user to be able to swap between a long screen-accurate pushrod, or a shorter one that could be adapted (using the included parts) to fit in a 1-inch or 7/8-inch blade holder. So that's why we added the set screws. They weren't on the originals, but appear on Nova Carbon for that reason. It's our one minor departure from the originals, but in my opinion is a nice callback to the Ep1 and Ep2 blade attachment method, and gives Nova Carbon a nice kinship with those blades.
Couple of questions:
1. Do you think you will have your stunt sabers available to purchase this summer?
2. Have you ever seen what Hayden's Episode 2 stunt saber looks like? I do not think I have ever seen his episode 2 prop saber.

We are currently pricing out a few different options. Something will eventually be available. What it is, and when it’s finished, I can’t tell you for sure yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back