Jack Sparrow Compass Toy Conversion

yeah i forgot to mention that, i need to cut off and replace the hinge :p Havent found one yet, but havent had the chance to go looking. And im not sure on the leather... gotta find the right texture...might just sculpt it in with something...not sure... or just grind the texture in with a dremel.

ok a few more pics. Got the main parts painted and weathered and the clasp on. The pics make the white look alot brighter than it is, its actually a yellowed dirty color. Now gotta find a hinge thats right...and im not sure where to start finding the back ring... also, in hindsight, i think I cut the bottom half down a bit too much, didnt really notice until I got the white trim on and saw what space was left...but too late now. Either way, slowly getin there.

compass10.jpg

compass11.jpg

compass12.jpg

wow looks good, what did you use for the trim? i've started this project to and im at the stage where i cut 1/2 inch off bottom and have sanded down the whole toy, not using the original bottom made one from sheet styrene and i'm glueing a stem in place to hold the dial glueing the whole thing together and then sanding it smooth. thought of using styrene for the trim but dont know.

<div class='quotetop'>(Firefoxm31 @ Jul 16 2006, 03:51 PM) [snapback]1282065[/snapback]</div>
dont supose you'd scan the face of the compass( the paper dial)...looks to be the most accurate i've seen..is it?
Will
[/b]

I was thinking the same thing. I plan on making a hardware compass but i didnt know what to do for the paper dial. Maybe someone with a master replica compass could make a free paper prop version.

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/bluep...wcompass01.html

Just found this on google. Looks fantastic.

i dont have a scanner :( Otherwise I would, its pretty accurate, missing a few little tiny thin line details i think, but thats it. For the trim I used cut strips of the thin clear plastic used from the toys packaging.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kylash327 @ Jul 17 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]1282070[/snapback]</div>
i dont have a scanner :( Otherwise I would, its pretty accurate, missing a few little tiny thin line details i think, but thats it. For the trim I used cut strips of the thin clear plastic used from the toys packaging.
[/b]

I should be able to...

got the gold sundail middle thingy done, ill try getting some pics tonight, need new camera batteries...

kylash what did you use to make the middle part its killing me i cant find anything to use :cry

<div class='quotetop'>(Kylash327 @ Jul 18 2006, 07:42 PM) [snapback]1283267[/snapback]</div>
got the gold sundail middle thingy done, ill try getting some pics tonight, need new camera batteries...
[/b]

well i just moved and its takin a little while to get those batteries i need ^^; I used some pieces i had laying around, a styrene ring, some styrene for the top triangle part, the side pegs from the toy glued under the ring, and cut the tip off the end of a plastic test tube for the dome on the spinning dial undere the sundial.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back