Jack Sparrow Compass Toy Conversion

<div class='quotetop'>(Ramiel @ Jul 13 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]1280163[/snapback]</div>
Hey jhusel, here the popcorn :D
Just for curiosity (yeah, sure)... How much could cost the shipping of a set like that in Italy? ;)
[/b]

well if it were to be bought and repacked probably not too much. The box it comes in, the walmart ine that is, is very long and thin. It didnt weigh that much either probably less than 2 pounds total weight with a box. Even a little less on the shipping if you only want the compass and not all the other frilly stuff. But i dont think it will make a difference either way, the other stuff does not make up that much weigh. Looks like about 21.00 for airmail parcel post

dan

my search on pictures of the real prop i cant make out the actual color is it supposed to be black? some pictures it looks grey in others wood color, i'm sure theres more then one version of the hero as i've seen "screen used" pictures shows brown leather under the lid and grey leather its confusing.

Nick :confused

the first movie compass dial seems quite a bit different too, im going with the new one when Im converting mine. I think its a very dark wood, which can look different colors in different light.

<div class='quotetop'>(lilpropdude @ Jul 14 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1280532[/snapback]</div>
my search on pictures of the real prop i cant make out the actual color is it supposed to be black? some pictures it looks grey in others wood color, i'm sure theres more then one version of the hero as i've seen "screen used" pictures shows brown leather under the lid and grey leather its confusing.

[/b]

The wood is ebony, at least it was for the first movie.

thanks sith :) loved your video by the way not that you havent heard that a million times already but really cool. You got sooo robbed (oops salt on the wound) anyways your jack sparrow in my book any day...

<div class='quotetop'>(SITHcamaro @ Jul 14 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]1280747[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(lilpropdude @ Jul 14 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1280532[/snapback]

[/b]

The wood is ebony, at least it was for the first movie.
[/b][/quote]

little update, got most of the trim donw on the outside, since there was no raised panels. Just thin plastic from the box it came in cut to size :D Ill attach the clasp after the outside is painted, since it overlaps one of the white strips. Also primed it to see the clear strips better while working.

compass19.jpg

compass21.jpg

compass20.jpg

Kylash, now that you knee-deep into the project, any more thoughts/insight as to your selection as the base toy for the project?

I'm still torn between the two...

id still say go with the costume accessory one...the MegaBloks is just too darn big, and has nothing inside, you dont get the dial, you dont get the inside detail. And a small update, Ive got the spinning dial set on a small screw thatrs loosely sitting inside an extra piece I cut from the gears inside the toy, and glued it to the inside bottom after grinding some stuff out so now it sits and is a little wobbly and can spin, like a real compass. :) I also finished the trim pieces around the outside, so im probably going to start painting the main body piece now.

Thanks for the insight, amigo...

I've got a big mit, so the smaller one is -- well -- pretty small, but I do like the porportions better, and the fact that I can flip it open and closed easily with one hand.

Two more quick questions if you odn't mind...

1. Since the smaller one doesn't have the leatherette detail inside the lid, what did you/will you use?

2. Did you do anything to the hinges to make them look more 18th century?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back