Inspector Gadget Costume - Halloween 2010

Good luck with your costume LuigiJumpman. Gadget was a big hit for me, so I trust it will go over well at the con. The hat is designed with the rotating light as the "hub". I then affixed the robotic arms to the rotating light base with hot glue. The robotic arms are wooden dowels and the joints are wooden balls. The hat itself is sort of snug, so it helps keep the entire fixture on my head. The rest is done with balance and weights attached to the hub in the back to counter-act the massive weight coming from the hands up front.

Good luck with your costume LuigiJumpman. Gadget was a big hit for me, so I trust it will go over well at the con. The hat is designed with the rotating light as the "hub". I then affixed the robotic arms to the rotating light base with hot glue. The robotic arms are wooden dowels and the joints are wooden balls. The hat itself is sort of snug, so it helps keep the entire fixture on my head. The rest is done with balance and weights attached to the hub in the back to counter-act the massive weight coming from the hands up front.
Thanks! Maybe I should use dowells instead of vaccum tubes, so i'm figuring out what i should use whether it being the magnifying glass, windex bottle, paintbrush, or flashlight hat hand commbinations. Once again, thanks for the advice!

I just want to say that this costume is awesome. I have started my own and I think, without trying, that I found the exact same brand and type of coat you have. Mine is a Ralph Lauren haha. What is yours?

I just want to say that this costume is awesome. I have started my own and I think, without trying, that I found the exact same brand and type of coat you have. Mine is a Ralph Lauren haha. What is yours?

Thanks for the compliment! I just took a look and my coat is a London Fog.

The hands are standard yellow rubber gloves stuffed with cotton and the shape is held by creating a "skeleton" hand of standard craft pipe cleaners.

Fantastic costume!! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the hat hands to pose like that? I am just confused on how did the hands.

This rpf has really inspired me to be inspector gadget for this years halloween but im torn between movie or cartoon. I always wanted to build the helicopter hat from the movie and had already started it. Ive also just built a pair of stilts that are a sinch to walk on that i will put some of that dryer ducting around to make it look like the gadget legs kinda from the cartoon. So being that i kinda chose the movie version my trenchcoat and hat are a tannish color. I love your hands and siren magnifier and badge wallet. So im trying to incorporate that into the costume. I am also working on a stomach and chest plate that i can fix a bunch of gears and gizmoz like in the movie where they have gadget on the operating table with the exceptiont that in the middle of it all ill have my ipod mounted in the middle of the mess and have a couple tiny speakers attached to the chest area so i can play the theme music and the song Ill be your everything by youngstown from the gadget movie. Things are in process let me know if youd lik to see some pics and if you have any idea on how to get the propellers to be collapsible. Oh where did you get your brown gloves? For my yellow gloves that come out of my hat i found some nice yellow deerskin gloves at work and i stuffed the fingers with cotton and wire and filled the middle of the glove with greatstuff and shoved part of a flexi lamp in there so they looked mechanical and be able to twist and position them. Oh another thing for the hat i took the ribbon off the top and am incorporating a scrolling led marquee that says stop in the name of the law or you have the right to remain silent. like in the movie but my marguee wont go around the whole hat as that is impossible for me its just gonna blend in with the ribbon and be about 3.5 inches wide. on the front of the hat.

Wow inventor401. You've certainly got your work cut out for you. Sounds like an awesome costume with lots of cool features. I've always liked the movie version as well. You should start your own thread with progress pics as I'm sure a lot of people would like to see your progress!

As for my gloves, I got them off of eBay. As for the collapsible helicopter blades, I'm at a loss on that one. I really wanted to incorporate that in my costume as well, but there's only so much stuff I could fit into my hat. Hopefully you find a way to make it happen because that's a really cool gadget feature.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back