Inspector Gadget Costume - Halloween 2010

azknight

My first post on the RPF!

I've decided on my 2010 Halloween costume and have landed on Inspector Gadget. I want to try to stay true to the cartoon version as far as colors, etc. go, so I've picked up a grey trench coat and am starting from there. I'm thinking of doing the gadget phone in the glove, a laser in one of the glove fingers, some hands popping out of the top of the hat holding magnifying glass, etc.

This will be my first documented costume on the RPF, but I've been a huge costume buff for many years. I've been a Ghostbuster, Austin Powers, Ron Burgundy, Gene Simmons, Beetlejuice, Teen Wolf...just to name a few! Here's a link to my costume last year - The Three Amigos - The Three Amigos Halloween 2009

Anyway, I definitely want some feedback and thoughts on what really makes or breaks a good Inspector Gadget costume. I'd really like to incorporate a working pop-out mini gadget-copter, but I haven't quite figured out the logistics on that one yet!

Looking forward to the feedback!

Go Go Gadget Thread Subscriber!

Good luck on your costume. Glad to see your not doing the live action version, that outfit was... interesting.

Ok...I obtained the first piece of the puzzle...the coat.
ebaycoat2.jpg

The color is exactly what I wanted. I'm going to replace the buttons with white buttons just like the cartoon version. I've also ordered a set of yellow gloves that will be coming out of the hat. One hand will be holding a magnifying glass and the other hand I haven't quite figured out what to do with yet...maybe a large foam/plastic sledgehammer or perhaps a police badge. I've also ordered some brown leather gloves for my hands.

I'm very much still open to suggestions on gadgets to include, etc.

Last edited:
i say Police Badge

and if you can figure it out, try to make the arms or hands detachable and make a few diferent ones
that way when you ware it places you can mix and match XP

Yeah, I'm thinking a police badge in one "hat hand" and a magnifying glass in the other. In the middle will be a small rotating red police light and I'm going to embed a siren in the hat too.

The gadget phone is completed. I disassembled an old bluetooth headset and and old cell phone for parts. Here's the before:
d73cec3e.jpg

Disassembled:
b91cb72b.jpg

Rewired:
btheadset.jpg

Completed:
2e62a463.jpg

I implemented the dummy retractable antenna in the thumb and extended the speaker and microphone from the bluetooth headset to reach the pinky and thumb. It works great and so far everyone I've shown is just blown away at how cool it is and yet how simple the concept ended up being.

The wife and I have started replacing the gray buttons on the coat with white buttons to look more like the cartoon version.

Last edited:
Probably a bit..."ambitious" but he did have one holding an umbrella if I remember right,what else?

*thinks hard*

Well I can recall these two:

Flashlight.
Squirting flower.

And he had a helicopter blade stored in there too.....

Wait a sec, that phone glove actually works? If so, that's awesome! I kind of want to make one for myself now.

Probably a bit..."ambitious" but he did have one holding an umbrella if I remember right,what else?

*thinks hard*

Well I can recall these two:

Flashlight.
Squirting flower.

And he had a helicopter blade stored in there too.....

Yeah, weight is going to be a big issue on what the hands can hold. I've basically got a very tight fitting fedora and the rest of how it's going to stay is just balance. The squirting flower could be fun to build in, though. Thanks for the idea…that definitely made the list of possibilities!

Wait a sec, that phone glove actually works? If so, that's awesome! I kind of want to make one for myself now.

Yes, the phone actually works. Obviously since it's a bluetooth headset, it is for inbound calls only (unless you have voice dialing set up on your phone). The calls on this gadget phone are surprisingly crystal clear and people wouldn't even know I was talking through a glove! haha

Sweeet!! I gotta say so far I'm impressed, the coat looks great! I'd love to see how this progresses, such an EPIC bluetooth glove phone - keep up the awesome work man! I'll get you next tiiiiiime Gadget! Next Time!! haha :D \m/

Yeah, weight is going to be a big issue on what the hands can hold. I've basically got a very tight fitting fedora and the rest of how it's going to stay is just balance. The squirting flower could be fun to build in, though. Thanks for the idea…that definitely made the list of possibilities!

Glad to be of help :)

Also-how loose is that coat? you remember that he could pull on one of his coat buttons and it would inflate like a balloon.....now you may not get it that far,but it'd be funny if you could get it to bulk up a little.

And (really stretching folks memory here) Gadget had a mustache in the very first episode,may want to drive people mad by including that.

*ETA*

Here's what I was looking for,a list of all the stuff he had as gadgets,some he only used once but it's all there (scroll to the bottom)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspector_Gadget

I can see he also had an aerosol can used by a gloved hand to freeze things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words and great ideas everyone!

I've added one feature to the right hand gadget glove. Well, it's sort of a three-in-one feature: UV light, flashlight, and laser.

glovelights.jpg

This is EPIC. You need the Police flyer he has at the beginning of the intro to the cartoon which shouldn't be too hard to reproduce. Maybe think about having Dr. Claws fake hand cuffed to your wrist.

-Ash

just thought... gadget had the spring shoes too. you could get some heavy duty springs for the bottom of your boots.

this. thread. is. awesome. any chance you'd make me a gadget glove phone?

I'm not sure making one without spare parts lying around would be very cost-effective. That and I wouldn't consider my glove build "sell quality". It works well and will last me through all of my Halloween parties, but I'm not sure of the longevity of a BT headset crammed into a glove! haha

This is a really unique and fun costume to put together - can't say I have ever seen anyone do it - not to say it hasn't been done before but it looks like you're off to a great start!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back