Inspector Gadget Costume - Halloween 2010

Ok...I obtained the first piece of the puzzle...the coat.
ebaycoat2.jpg

The color is exactly what I wanted. I'm going to replace the buttons with white buttons just like the cartoon version. I've also ordered a set of yellow gloves that will be coming out of the hat. One hand will be holding a magnifying glass and the other hand I haven't quite figured out what to do with yet...maybe a large foam/plastic sledgehammer or perhaps a police badge. I've also ordered some brown leather gloves for my hands.

I'm very much still open to suggestions on gadgets to include, etc.

Can you share where you purchased this trench coat from? I've been looking for one exactly like this for a while now for another project I'm working on. I can't seem to find one anywhere!! Especially one that's even more of a gray than this!!

Can you share where you purchased this trench coat from? I've been looking for one exactly like this for a while now for another project I'm working on. I can't seem to find one anywhere!! Especially one that's even more of a gray than this!!

I picked this trench coat up off of eBay. It was really slim pickings for men's gray trench coats in this style, but I managed to luck out at the time.

Update 10/18 - I've completed the hat and just need to secure the hands in the correct orientation. Also, the Gadget glove just stopped working. I should have known better than to use a 10 year old battered Bluetooth headset for such an intricate project! I picked up a new BT headset for $9.99 and wired it right up. This one has 150 hours of standby, so no need to charge it all the time either. I am going to try to do a test run with the entire costume on sometime in the next few days and will post some pics!

you should grab one of those inflatable sumo suits and put it under the jacket and make it inflate like the show :D

great job man, this is awesome

This is awesome. I was just talking to someone at work about how I've not seen anyone do Inspector Gadget.

Can't wait to see this finished.

I'm really impressed by this. I decided to be the inspector last Halloween and as of yet I have done nothing but create a full amazon shopping cart. I was curious what you are using to make the robotic arms coming out of that hat, is that prefabricated or did you make it yourself somehow?

My girlfriend is going to be Penny, I'm using a dictionary and a couple 2.5inch, $14, battery powered digital picture frames loaded with a slideshow of graphs and MAD related pictures to make the "computer book". My dog is naturally going to be Brain but I'm not sure what Ill use for his mic/earpeice so that he doesn't poke his eye so a wire hangar is out.

If you have any other pictures or directions on how you got the hat together, ie: how the robot arms are fixed to it so they are stable and the hat stays on your head, I would really appreciate it. I'm going for something like this: http://www.americanthinkmachine.com/?p=205 but I cant tell how he did it as the pictures are so low quality.

Thank you so much for sharing this build, I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished.

PS: Awesome Kit conversion!

Last edited:
I'm really impressed by this. I decided to be the inspector last Halloween and as of yet I have done nothing but create a full amazon shopping cart. I was curious what you are using to make the robotic arms coming out of that hat, is that prefabricated or did you make it yourself somehow?

My girlfriend is going to be Penny, I'm using a dictionary and a couple 2.5inch, $14, battery powered digital picture frames loaded with a slideshow of graphs and MAD related pictures to make the "computer book". My dog is naturally going to be Brain but I'm not sure what Ill use for his mic/earpeice so that he doesn't poke his eye so a wire hangar is out.

If you have any other pictures or directions on how you got the hat together, ie: how the robot arms are fixed to it so they are stable and the hat stays on your head, I would really appreciate it. I'm going for something like this: american think machine » Blog Archive » Duh, Dnuh, Dnuh, INSPECTOR GADGET! Duh, Dnuh, Dnuh, WOO-WHO! but I cant tell how he did it as the pictures are so low quality.

Thank you so much for sharing this build, I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished.

PS: Awesome Kit conversion!

Good luck with your costume. It sounds like you have some really great ideas for the Penny costume as well.

The hat is designed with the rotating light as the "hub". I then affixed the robotic arms to the rotating light base. The robotic arms are wooden dowels and the joints are wooden balls. The hat itself is sort of snug, so it helps keep the entire fixture on my head. The rest is done with balance and weights attached to the hub in the back to counter-act the massive weight coming from the hands up front. It looks like the guy in the link you posted used the back-facing hand to balance the weight of the hat. I've never seen Gadget have a back-facing hand, but it makes sense why he did what he did.

As for Brain's mic, you could also dip the wire hanger in plasti-dip after you've formed it. That will keep it from being sharp and hurting your dog.

The costume is finally complete! I still haven't had a chance to put the whole thing on and take a picture or two, but I did snap a picture of the completed Gadget hat that I thought I'd share with everyone. :)

photo3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a couple of quick shots of me trying on the full costume for the first time. It's funny how simple this costume seems in photos. None of the gadgets (Gadget phone, rotating police light, siren, flashlight, laser, etc.) show in photos. This is definitely a costume to see in person rather than in pictures! I'll get some more up after Halloween and hopefully a quick Youtube video of the gadgets in action! Oh, and yes I'll be shaving before Halloween.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

That is way awesome, mate!!! You've done a fantastic job.....really can't wait to see some video of the costume in action!! :)

So I didn't get any videos of the costume in action before it all got boxed up. After the party, I was exhausted and wanted to just get all of the decorations packed up and the mess cleaned up. But I did get a couple of photos throughout the night which I'll put up here -

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

The hat was broken down into 3 pieces and packed up along with the rest of the costume, so no more pics or videos, but it was a sweet ride! :)

One question, How did you get the hands to stay on the hat? I've been working on this costume as well for Connecticon 2011 (a comic book convention in connecticuit) and I'm going as the Gadget and the Gadgetinis version. I have tried velcro to put the hands on the hat, but it's not working. Please help.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back