Indiana Jones (Disney+ series)

If I’m not mistaken…most of that list is from their existing IP portfolio.
Sure, the Marvel ones are from their IP purchase, but other films were original stories (Frozen, Moana, etc.) that they developed into their current IP.
You stated in the last TEN YEARS, they havent made anything that wasn't a sequel, remake, prequel, “reimagining” of their current IP portfolio, which is not true. Doing a first film with an IP is not a sequel, remake, prequel, “reimagining”. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, and Black Panther were all first films for those acquired IPs... and that is why you buy an IP, to launch a film.

Putting out another movie every 2 years doesn't have to be a disaster. The Marvel run in the late 2000s & early 2010s demonstrates that.

But it requires a well-planned-out storyline, some delayed financial gratification, good creatives at the controls, etc. SW didn't get that. Modern Disney isn't capable of managing anything that well.

Sure, the Marvel ones are from their IP purchase, but other films were original stories (Frozen, Moana, etc.) that they developed into their current IP.
You stated in the last TEN YEARS, they havent made anything that wasn't a sequel, remake, prequel, “reimagining” of their current IP portfolio, which is not true. Doing a first film with an IP is not a sequel, remake, prequel, “reimagining”. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, and Black Panther were all first films for those acquired IPs... and that is why you buy an IP, to launch a film.
The Mouse Marketing Machine (MMM) is still spewing those inane words (and coming-up with some more for the future) :mad:
It's really empty in the end. No new stuff, just the same façade with a different coat of paint:rolleyes::devil:

The Mouse Marketing Machine (MMM) is still spewing those inane words (and coming-up with some more for the future) :mad:
It's really empty in the end. No new stuff, just the same façade with a different coat of paint:rolleyes::devil:
True, but when those IP franchises have been proven to make you billions in revenue, and you know fans will still flock to see films under the franchise umbrella, not to mention YOU OUTRIGHT OWN THE IP and you don't need to pay anyone to acquire it, or use it, you can't necessarily fault them for continuing to tap that well. We may not like it, but from a business decision point of view, it makes total sense.

What gets me about the Mouse, is that they CAN do things the "right" way. They've done it before. But Disney is as sensitive to the political and societal winds of change as much as any other entertainment production company would be, and I feel they have recently preached to that segment of society a little too much... and it's reflected in their current and recent entertainment offerings.

Last edited:
Yep even Lucas started to go downhill with Rotj. I mean Ewoks are cute, but taking on and defeating Imperial troops. Boba Fett taken out by accident. Leia in a brass bra. Don't get me wrong I loved the outfit. But Lucas went to pains to show her as a strong, competent woman, and then puts her in a bikini. Again, loved the outfit, ; ) And don't even get me started on the prequels. But even after all this, I would take almost anything from him, over the crap Disney has produced. I think there should be a history split like BC and AD for Star Wars. BD and AD, before Disney, and after Disney, ; )

I think Carrie was my first real crush.

EL1mstBXYAEkRe8?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I can't see much of a future for SW anymore. Kennedy spent the last decade dropping turds in the pool. The only solution is to drain the whole thing out to clean it. But it's probably gonna be the 2030s before Disney will even consider such a drastic step. FFS it's 2023 and they haven't even fired Kennedy yet.

Wanna get REALLY frustrated? Chew on this: I could imagine a scenario where Disney starts remaking (read: altering & replacing) George's SW movies before they remake Kennedy's.

Picture the pitch meeting:

"We should stick to what the public wants. Everybody likes Han & Luke & Leia & Darth Vader. They don't wanna see more of Finn & Rey & Kylo. Lucas's movies are 40 years old and ripe for being remade with better action & spectacle. So let's make the classic SW movies, bigger, badder, & uncut. We'll add modern diversity and get rid of a few things that haven't aged well. Younger kids will respond to them because the storyline has such good bone structure. Older diehard SW fans will complain about the remakes but they will hate-watch them out of morbid curiosity anyway. And none of those movies would be hard to shoot. By modern standards they are only medium expensive. ANH is gonna be the cheapest one to remake so we'll start with that and prove the concept. If it sells tickets then we'll shoot ESB and ROTJ back-to-back. This is a slam-dunk low-risk project."

I've often thought that I MIGHT enjoy an animated version of A New Hope. Heck, use the original dialogue tracks.

Screen_Shot_2018_09_22_at_9.49.17_AM.jpg

tcg7VSmEVECS0YQyvqFiaKJ89CGaK3.jpg

I fail to be bothered by the slave outfit/scenes.

It made sense in the storyline. She was a beautiful & important figure in that world. Of course Jabba would want to chain her up & treat her like a trophy. But her character was maintained too - she saw an opportunity and promptly killed him with her chains.

Granted, modern Disney would not let a SW princess into that outfit for any plot reason.

But modern Disney would put Lando in a romantic relationship with a droid, and point out that he sexually pleasures it, when it's not even necessary for the plot. Take Disney's judgment for what it's worth.

But modern Disney would put Lando in a romantic relationship with a droid, and point out that he sexually pleasures it, when it's not even necessary for the plot. Take Disney's judgment for what it's worth.

...well, it's complicated, as L3 said. I took her statement to mean the other way around.

Although I did really enjoy Solo, and I personally LIKED the fact that L3-37's "brain" became part of the Falcon. Fleshed out the Falcon as a character a little bit more for me, when seen through the OT.

(quickly runs away to avoid the rocks and pitchforks)

Granted, modern Disney would not let a SW princess into that outfit for any plot reason.

Well, Disney did do this:
1lDq.gif

...and this...
5baba01ba5f7132127000dbc?width=700.png

With two of their other princesses, and then this with their Pirates of the Caribbean theme park attraction, their "redhead" character was portrayed as follows:

b0e779149faed244e0b16419-disney-nerd-disney-disney.jpg

il_570xN.3308185125_skaj.jpg

But all of that was decades ago, so not with the current societal sensitivities.

Last edited:
Lucas also created those tentpoles, limited as they were, but he survived because he spread them out enough. That's a different thing than acquiring an IP and continuing it at breakneck speed. I'm not suggesting they ignore their properties but given how unimaginative they've been with them they'll need new ones if they want to stay relevant and keep up this pace with releases. Again continuing vs. creating. Thus far we have little evidence Lucasfilm is currently capable of creating their own original property, where George built entire companies to support his creations.

As I said before, the one example of them looking to expand is now in development with Paramount.

I would argue that Lucas survived because of the pioneering work of his ILM visual effects production house, sound engineering and recording studio(s), and THX sound specs./certification.

That was also a huge part of his success. Though in terms of the content he created and released under Lucasfilm as a company, the reason he sustained a lot of business over the years with his movies was only because he spread it out over a long period of time. Though to your point, Lucasfilm may still be developing tech for the film business, but it's not going to be as prolific as George because he was still facing uphill battles that took him decades to win. Just about anything is possible now.

I've long argued that as earth shattering as Star Wars is as a property, it's Lucas's innovation of film technology that is his true legacy as a film maker.

Last edited:
I fail to be bothered by the slave outfit/scenes.

It made sense in the storyline. She was a beautiful & important figure in that world. Of course Jabba would want to chain her up & treat her like a trophy. But her character was maintained too - she saw an opportunity and promptly killed him with her chains.

To be fair, everyone knows the first robots to be sold will be sexbots. We all know it. Spaceflights are long so... :lol: Still we don't have to talk about it in SW.

As for Leia, I'm pretty sure Leia had something to do with why I'm more attracted to brunettes. Probably some Counselor Troi in there too.

Maybe somebody will correct me on this. But I recall an anecdote that Carrie Fisher complained to George about her SW & ESB outfits. She said they weren't very feminine (or flattering, etc. I don't remember the exact wording). George kinda went "Hmm, yeah . . ." and the rest was history.

Funny thing is, Carrie also said the outfit was loose & hanging off her. You can kinda see that in the movie once it's been pointed out. She saw the outfit for the first time when they brought her in for measurements to construct it. She thought "Yikes!" and started dieting/exercising more. By the time they filmed the movie she was down a size from the measurements.

Maybe somebody will correct me on this. But I recall an anecdote that Carrie Fisher complained to George about her SW & ESB outfits. She said they weren't very feminine (or flattering, etc. I don't remember the exact wording). George kinda went "Hmm, yeah . . ." and the rest was history.

Funny thing is, Carrie also said the outfit was loose & hanging off her. You can kinda see that in the movie once it's been pointed out. She saw the outfit for the first time when they brought her in for measurements to construct it. She thought "Yikes!" and started dieting/exercising more. By the time they filmed the movie she was down a size from the measurements.
Yea I remember reading somewhere, that a crew member would have to yell, " Bare B#$b " ! When one would pop out on the Sand Barge deck scenes, lol. Didn't see that on the Blu-ray, behind the scenes, ; )

Last edited:
To be fair, everyone knows the first robots to be sold will be sexbots. We all know it. Spaceflights are long so... :lol: Still we don't have to talk about it in SW.

As for Leia, I'm pretty sure Leia had something to do with why I'm more attracted to brunettes. Probably some Counselor Troi in there too.
Yea, love Marina Sirtis !

Attachments

• 74F704D.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Yea I remember reading somewhere, that a crew member would have to yell, " Bare B#$b " ! When one would pop out on the Sand Barge deck scenes, lol. Didn't see that on the Blu-ray, behind the scenes, ; )
Can you imagine showing up for work one day and having that conversation with your supervisor? "Uhh, listen Tom, today I'm going to need you to stand right here and keep your eyes focused on Carrie's chest. If the top of that stupid costume moves and exposes her, I need you to yell 'Bare boob!' at the top of your lungs so we can re-set and start over. D'ya think you can do that?"

It's almost a shame that Femi Taylor wasn't afforded the same protection on Return of the Jedi. :unsure: :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back