In Defense Of George Lucas

He never intended a trilogy to be. It's such a lie when you hear the guy on the VHS tapes say "In 1977, George Lucas created the Star Wars trilogy...." please!!!

I've read so much Lucas bashing, J.J. bashing, omg when will people either appreciate their work or agree to disagree???????

Them Ewoks grabbed some here by the heart.

Obi-Wan lied....

On and on and ibuprofen please.

Lucas is sad and by his actions it's evident. I saw that coming faster than 12 parsecs after he sold the franchise.

It's just sad, but he did, and I'm still a die hard fan.

Too much politics ruins the show.

I must be the only one that found the interview funny, he goes on about what NOT to do during a break up, then does all those things!:lol He was like a cranky uncle at a holiday meal, especially with the slaver comment tossed in. Keep counting the cash uncle George.

It's just bitterness than they did a better job than him with the new movie. He is exclusively and solely responsible for the prequels, and they sucked. Comparing those to TFA and you see he's got no talent left in him. I'm not saying that a 'space politics' trilogy wouldn't have been good, but it was so poorly handled that he needs to stay away from SW in every shape and form.

A LOT to defend him for, dear gawd SW sparked a massive breaking of the dam and a flood of genre stuff came pouring.
A LOT to attack him over too, we know those things well.
And he still can have his say, I don't think shut up George is acceptable. He has a right to say what he wants in regards to JJ Wars as any of us.
Who knows maybe he has something new in him before he leaves this earth too.

Painting himself as the grand inventor in the whole TFA debate is really ridiculous.
He did a lot for us, he created a world that is such a grand part of my life and even personality. But at the moment I feel like a teen who finds his parents less and less admirable. It makes me a bit sad, and that sadness started in 1999.

From that BMD-article:
Too many of Lucas’ modern critics equate inspiration with remake, and they parrot too many easy lines about Lucas’ history with Flash Gordon. Yes, the earliest spark for Star Wars was Lucas’ desire to do something like the Flash Gordon serials he had watched on TV as a youth, but Star Wars isn’t Flash Gordon fanfic. When Lucas approached King Features about getting the rights to Flash Gordon he was almost relieved that they wouldn’t grant them - he didn’t want to get stuck with characters like Ming the Merciless, characters that didn’t interest him. What did interest Lucas was recreating the feeling he had when he watched those old Flash Gordon serials, not the actual events or characters themselves. Buck Rogers, it should be noted, was just as important, and yet nothing in the plot and none of the characters reflect those serials and comics. Freed of the specifics of the things he loved as a child he was able to get at the heart of what he loved about them.

The early ANH scripts show an almost verbatim copying of narrative structure of the old serials.
The characters, locations, creatures and vehicles are heavily lifted from the old movie serials and even more so from the old Alex Raymond Flash Gordon comics.
That was really softened by all those talented people who worked on the OT.

The article quoting Dune as a donor for the "DNA" of ANH? Sorry, I have both seen those old serials and read Dune, and I personally see more of FG in the early scripts than I see Dune.

Proof? Look at the PT. Flash Gordon serials unmistakably serving as patterns for the narrative structure of PM. I personally do not mind hommages. Film noir detective story shoehorned into AOTC, which is actually my favourite part in AOTC, but how is a detective story Star Wars? Politics over politics, a dispute about trade routes ... hmmm ... Dune?

Sorry, but the points that he now critizises are IMO totally moot, because its like the pot is calling the kettle black.

Calling them white slavers though? Sorry, criticism is one thing, but he's a ********* for saying that.

I think it's safe to say he was speaking off the top of his head figuratively , the next part of that sentence would probably have been " ...and they prostituted them out".
Well he sold his "kids" to a huge studio entity, sort of like the ones he railed against when he was young. So I think that is his old seventies self speaking out against
the big studio system. In a way that's kind of cool that that fire is still burning a little there. But of course he has no one to blame but himself. And we have to factor
in that he wanted to donate so much of that money and I suspect he thinks other things were more important than making more SW movies when he could take the 4 billlion
dollars and give it to charities and make a difference beyond entertainment. Just the fact he's giving most of it away should earn him some get out of jail free cards.

Do you know what's really amusing??....George Lucas does not and has not ever cared what any of us think....I think people actually think he worrys about our opinions and the only thing he 'use to' worry about was making a successful film or two.

And he's done that in spades and he's stinking rich....guess who gets the last laugh??......;)

Sure, because he realized what a ****** thing it is to say to compare the new owners of his property 'white slavers.'

Listen, this whole situation is no different than Roddenberry and ST. We're not going to **** on Roddenberry on the original series, but is there anyone who can really say that the first season of TNG was really top quality stuff? I mean for god's sake, he gave us Wesley ****ing Crusher, the Jar Jar of ST. But when Roddenberry stepped aside, we saw how good it could be with someone with new fresh vision and we got the rest of the series.

And then those people's vision became crap and we got Voyager. So JJ Abrams swooped in and then he .. okay.. so he made it worse with the movies. But SOMEONE might come along and make ST great again.

We can only hope.

it's ironic that his new woman is black:lol....

You have all missed the whole point I'm sure.....it's called MARKETING.

You might say SW needs no marketing...but it doesn't hurt ticket sales for GL to come out and 'offend' some folks.

It's all good publicity....and here we are talking about it and thinking about it and....SHTI I just have to go and see it again...:lol

I still think the best direction would have been hundreds of years into the future and get away from the entire fate of a galaxy populated by untold gabillions of aliens and worlds is tied to a single family lineage of humans. I might just get that someday.

Though I am curious what Lucas's ideas were. In another reality that is what would have been made.

Probably something to do with inter-dimensional beings... Or midichlorians. :rolleyes

May I use "gabillions" too...? ;)

Last edited:
As I've said before, I think George is an amazing idea guy who does his best work in collaboration with people who'll tell him "no" and when he has budgetary restrictions.

Now don't go calling me an expert, but in my lowly opinion I'd be willing to bet that is why with most major corporations you will find a Board of Directors...!

The early ANH scripts show an almost verbatim copying of narrative structure of the old serials.

Don't forget The Dam Busters... "I'd say twenty guns, some on the surface, some on the tower". Nearly verbatim lift. And was the trench run really "inspired" by The Dam Busters, or was it templated straight off of the earlier film?

Georgie needed Marsha. She saved ANH and she made sure he didn't screw up the pace that Kershner shot Empire at.

And don't forget the Huycks. Even after their script-doctoring, Ford (and others, I'm sure) still had trouble with some of the dialogue.

Last edited:
Clever mashups kick ass I think is the lesson. The first Matrix did this too.
Lucas nearly killing himself making the first film is also part of it. Suffer for the art.
When funds are limited one is forced, pun not intended into often being more creative with cheats and other methods.
He needed help he had to use those around him and it helped him.

If I made the next SW movie that is where I would go for new story materials, back to all those sources
of the mashup and there are like half a dozen major rich sources
with untapped materials. But I think few in control now would be comfortable with that,
I'm sure much of their story arc is already penciled in with JJ type mimicry.
So much is set in place now I fear nothing but extremely familiar territory looking forward.

Re-watched Empire of Dreams last night (the only disc that gets used from my SE ;) ), even if it is a love letter to GL ( it still shows how incredibly egotistical and unrealistic he was! ;) ), it really highlights how selective his memory is today. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't or revisiting it if you haven't watched it for a while.

Watching a Trek doc on Netflix (I forget which one) I was really taken aback by how similar Gene R and GL are/were. GR started to believe his own hype, that he was a prophet, something above and beyond mere mortal, and like all powerful people who buy into their own hype, he went off the damn rails. A decade and a half of fawning over GL in the 80s/90s really must have warped the guy in some way. I mean, he didn't turn into Jim Jones or anything, but he clearly lost sight of something that makes a normal human a normal human. You see it all the time with rich, powerful people developing a warped view of reality. Oh well, we'll always have Paris.

What follows is based on what we see from our public perspective. I understand there is much more to the man than we know...

That said, I truly feel sorry for GL, as he appears to be a sad an pathetic man, with the emotional maturity of an adolescent.

He has compared viewing TFA to attending an ex's subsequent wedding to another. As a GROWN-UP, you don't attend your ex's wedding if your sole intent is to p*ss on the bride and groom. The more mature and emotionally sophisticated route is to keep your feelings to yourself, or simply don't attend.

At nearly every significant turn, or milestone, in GL's post-1983 SW history, he has fumbled, contradicted himself (if not knowingly lied), demonstrated virtually universally agreed-upon poor creative choices, and become repugnant in the face of criticism.

--Constant and poorly executed revisions of the SW OT
--A documented (filmed) statement declaring he is actively against modifying a work once it has been released for public consumption, followed by his ravaging of the OT
--Critically panned series of prequel films that appeared to demonstrate his unbridled hubris and refusal to acknowledge input from other respected sources
--And the list goes on...

But in my mind, the most significant failure on his part is to maturely and professionally accept valid criticism for the PT, and the OT revisions. Both in the court of public opinion, as well as in the reviews of professional film critics, these filmmaking ventures were essentially deemed as failures - not financially, but creatively. Perhaps not utter failures, or perhaps "failure" is not the best word, but all readers here know what I mean.

However, rather than publicly accept the fact that perhaps he misstepped, (that perhaps his creative choices are not necessarily "up to snuff" and/or perhaps he should have factored more input from others), his basic response was, "Eff you all - I made the movies I want and I think they're fine. But when all your audience can do is rip you apart for it, it's no fun anymore and I'm gonna take my filmmaking toys and go home."

And he quit...

He basically got pissed off, picked up his toys, and left the sand box.

Thankfully for us, he sold his toys to someone else - for Four Billion Dollars. Now that "someone else" is playing - quite well, I might add - in that sand box.

And GL is sitting off to the side, butt on the playground asphalt, knees brought up to his chest wrapped up by his arms, glowering and fuming as he watches someone else play with his toys.

Again, I feel sorry for the man, as I fear his personality and psychological issues may well lead him to a state of misery, possibly on to his death bed.

Rather than reflect with warmth and positivism on what we all appreciate about him (the creation and delivery of the SW and IJ stories), and rather than embrace the fact that he made some missteps (we all make mistakes - when you're as large as GL, your mistakes will be large too) and reach a degree of peace with himself over it, and rather than fully accept that fact that he has indeed handed off the SW franchise (for better or for worse in his purview), he has elected to remain indignant and to demonstrate a notable absence of respect, professionalism, and emotional maturity.

Basically, he has elected to stay pissed off, and allow himself to wallow in a degree of misery...

Again, this is MY interpretation based on what is has been published, and publicly discussed. I hope I'm not all together right on these issues.

Last edited:
Seems about right to me, although we will never know what really goes on inside his head.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back