In Defense Of George Lucas

Oh for sure. I haven't liked most of what he's be involved with in the last 15-20 yrs but he was the genesis of a trilogy that is near and dear to my heart. Without him we would have none of this. I'll always be thankful for that.

Again this is a case of people going to the extreme - Lucas to me is not a genius but he's also not a terrible filmmaker. He's an imaginative guy who created, produced, and/or directed a few great movies early in his career. He created Star Wars and I will always be grateful that he gave us such an entertaining universe to tell stories in.

On the other side of the coin he also seems to be one of the most insecure filmmakers of all time as his inability to stop tinkering with his earlier creations seems to signify. He seems to be the only filmmaker I am aware of who wants to revise his works and erase the original vision from the history books. In my opinion he also failed totally to create a compelling trilogy with the prequels.

In other words, like most other filmmakers, he has done some inspired works and he has done some lesser works but I see no reason for some idiotic backlash all of all sudden just because Star Wars The Force Awakens is raking in money by the truckload.

When Lucas made Star Wars, AG, and THX he was really at the top of his game, and deserves the respect he earned generating new techniques and pushing the technology of film making. For that, we should be grateful to him.

But **** him up the *** with a chainsaw for Jar Jar Binks and the travesty that was the prequels.

Great article.I love George for what he brought into my life. I didn't hate the prequels and they aren't that great but they don't detract anything from what he and his collaborators gave us with the OT. Nobody creates genius with everything they make.

Ben

Nobody needs to defend George Lucas. He's not losing sleep over any of this. He has the most comfortable bed possible, made out of money.

;)

I haven't seen most of what Devin was talking about with respect to TFA and people decrying the original Star Wars, so it seems kind of like a straw-man argument to me.

As I've said before, I think George is an amazing idea guy who does his best work in collaboration with people who'll tell him "no" and when he has budgetary restrictions. The article, however, does address that point.

I'm glad that the Star Wars franchise will continue without him at this point. Beyond that, I'm not sure it really matters a ton. He made some great movies and some crappy ones. Now he's out of the game, and a new generation has taken over where he left off. I'm less interested in focusing on what he did and didn't do at this point, and way more interested in talking about what's to come.

You know it is so funny I read this link today for the first time and last night I was thinking about the PT. If you could get someone or a small group of people to go and re-edit and do a few minor re-shoots I think you would have a very great set of compelling stories that would flow right into the OT and it would be awesome. If you think about it the general ideas of the PT are sound. Also if the entire first 6 episodes are about Anakins fall and redemption it would work. Also please don't say it would cost to much for the re-shoots and editing because if it was done correctly it would be a diamond mine that **** out a gold mine.

No we don't. Sure, he made three really good movies once. But what has he done for us recently? In fact, on balance, he's done more to harm Star Wars than he has done to improve it. IMO, everything he did since 1983 in the Star Wars universe was crap. He gets credit where credit is due, he doesn't get put up on a pedestal because he once made some good movies.

You know it is so funny I read this link today for the first time and last night I was thinking about the PT. If you could get someone or a small group of people to go and re-edit and do a few minor re-shoots I think you would have a very great set of compelling stories that would flow right into the OT and it would be awesome. If you think about it the general ideas of the PT are sound. Also if the entire first 6 episodes are about Anakins fall and redemption it would work. Also please don't say it would cost to much for the re-shoots and editing because if it was done correctly it would be a diamond mine that **** out a gold mine.

Not to sidetrack this, but I actually don't think you can rehab the PT, really. At least, not the whole thing. The first film is completely unnecessary. The second two might be workable, but for my money, the real issue is the choice of why Anakin goes evil, and then how that is handled. If the reasoning is "Because he wanted to restore order to the galaxy," then the film could've done a LOT more to show how and why this drives him. There's barely anything done, aside from like 1 conversation. If the reasoning was "Because he was emotionally stunted," we still didn't really establish why he was emotionally stunted, other than "Uh...Jedi don't 'do' emotions." Which is still conveyed more by the somewhat stilted performances of the Jedi characters than through actual exposition.

Personally, I always preferred the version of the story where Anakin is a tragic hero who saw too much death and destruction, and chose the path of evil in a "Never again" notion, thought he could go "deep cover" and got sucked in too deep. I wasn't that interested in the "Jedi don't do emotions, but this kid is just a storm of emotions" as a concept, but even if that was the goal, I think it was poorly executed. We can debate why that was, of course. Lucas' "direction" (e.g., "Faster. More intense."), green screen robbing the actors of the ability to really put themselves in the moment and inside of their characters, or weak writing, but whatever the cause, it just didn't play out as well as it should've.

All that said, I've come to the conclusion that a lot of what I wanted to see in the PT was ultimately unrealistic for storytelling purposes. I wanted, basically, the political science side of things, basically showing a sci-fi version of Weimar Germany turning into the Third Reich, and the tragedy of World War 1 preceding (or coinciding) with that. But all of that ultimately pulls focus from the characters and their development, unless they're involved in those events. I think you could've had the characters be more involved in such events, but you'd basically need to start with AOTC, stick in a middle movie that deals with more of this stuff, and then wrap up with a revised version of ROTS.

Instead, I'd rather just watch the Clone Wars cartoon.

Solo PM was all character development. Cut out Jar Jar, reduce the pod racing scene and delve into what your talking bout how this was the first step in a master plan to lead to the empire and I think PM is actually the most workable.

Also if they led the story to be that Anakin had scene so much death and destruction and that he couldn't bare to lose Padme and the twins and that he was so desperate that he would do anything to save them. If you make that the real focus of his turn from the end of AOTC and ROTS then you can really spin a wonderful tale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry wrong Solo. But now that your here what do you think? You agree with me and not dan right?

Frankly, drcraig13, I do agree with your cuts in TPM. But, the kid who played Anakin was SOOOOO bad, I would want him cut out of the picture too. So, TPM just doesn't work for me. I say go right into AOTC and forget about that first set-up. In fact, I really like Solo4114's thought about "a sci-fi version of the Third Reich" kind of story. That would have really been interesting!

As the new movie has since come out, I made my wife watch the original holy trilogy with me to gear up for it. NOW she wants to watch the prequels. So, I'm going to see TPM for the first time in nearly 15 years. Maybe I'll have a different answer after I see it again...but probably not.

Sorry, drcraig13, looks like I gotta go with my brother Solo4114 on this one.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back