I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

While over the years my wife (some of you know her as Madam Nostrodomous) has done all of the sewing on her trusty Kenmore. Buy a new machine for my daughter has inspired me to finally do more work on the sewing machine. I am going to start taking lessons on Thursday mornings to hopefully make the Amy Pond costume that much better.

This is exactly what I recommend for people looking for their first machines. Maybe not so much as getting a next door neighbor that will give you one for free, but to find one of these old belt driven models. Usually they sit around in thrift stores for less than $30 bucks. And if you get it professionally serviced (usually somewhere in the $75 range depending on where you are), you have a under $100 machine that will sew thru those cheap machines you get at Wally World. Hell, I was just working on some thicker materials that my $700.00 Bernina started to balk at, so I pulled my 60s, belt driven Brother up and it went right through it like butter.

Hands down the way to go for a learning machine. You just can't plan on travelling with it.

The Goodwill store near my mom has a couple of older sewing machines, including one in lovely avocado green. I am really trying to keep from buying something before I actually need it, but I might have to take a second look at them.

I'm not sure what year it was made in but it's a Singer Fashion Mate 362 and looks to be a little on the older side..(maybe 60's-70's?)

Sorry for the book...I just had to share:D

I really liked this story.

I bond with my sewing/shop machines the way some people bond with cars. And it's more romantic when you find an old used one and fix it up. Most of mine are used, except for the one I bring to my classroom - but even new machines can have personality.

gosh. i totally envy those you who make your own costumes from scratch! such talent. :)

my mom was a seamstress. i'm so sad i didn't learn the ways of sewing from her. the lack of this skill definitely limits costume creation, especially when your funds are very limited. all i know how to do is mend holes..

but it's never too late to learn, right? i love creating my own Halloween costumes.. i know i'll never be able to reach the level of you dedicated hobbyists, but it's high time i start learning and kick my costume making up a level!

any tips on where to start? how did all of you get your start?

I like this thread. Got an old Pfaff Creative 7550 that I inherited. It can do most anything but I only use it for basic stitches. I sew all of the soft-parts of my costumes on it.

I raise my Beer mug and finest machine needle to this thread! I inherited my Dads old sewing JC Penny machine when he upgraded.

Steve%20Hatfield%20012.jpg

I have been sewing with this beauty for a decade now and has made many anime and hero outfits!

Last edited:
I keep trying to get one of my lady friends to do one, but have thus far been unsuccessful. Kristinaleigh (another board member who is like my little sister) has been saying for years she was going to do one. I told her that if she does the red gown, I'll do the black embroidered outfit that goes with.

Though everyone wants to do the red gown. I want to see someone do the green walking dress.

I'd be down for either of those actually...Maybe I should just do BOTH. Okay, okay, you've twisted my arm...I'm officially putting them on the To-Do list. :cool

Here's my machine. It's an old Montgomery Ward with direct drive and a vibrating bobbin. The foot mounting is great, as it has allowed me to make a zipper foot. I've done BSG OD BDU mods, BSG coveralls, a Rick Deckard coat and a Resident Evil Sanitation outfit on this, as well as some clothing alterations. I have also done other work using a borrowed Viking 1.
attachment.php

I learned to sew at my Mother’s knee on an old Singer treadle sewing machine.
Over the years, I have made so very many costumes.
My favorite was a Spandex Elvira dress, for a very amply endowed young woman…
... for the obvious reasons! Sadly, no photos exist...

Basic life skill if you ask me.

It should not be something special to know how to sew.

You know what else should be a basic life skill: ironing. Yet in this day of wrinkle-free and permanent press, people don't know how to iron.

My mother taught me to sew, but never taught me how to iron. She absolutely hated it. She has a convoluted and time-consuming way of doing laundry so that my dad's clothes didn't wrinkle and wouldn't require it. If something did need to be ironed, my dad did it. The Navy taught him how. I had to teach myself when I became an adult and had a professional job that required me to be wrinkle free.

I think it's so awesome that guys can sew! I've tried to teach my bf, but he just doesn't have it in him -_- :cry He can paint and help with props though, so that's good! :lol

Basic life skill if you ask me.

It should not be something special to know how to sew.

That, sir, would be a perfect world. I've actually overheard someone walk by the old sewing sections in Walmart and say "People still sew??" Like it's a stoneage art form or something.

You would think middle and high schools would force a home ec course and how to basic hand sew...but they've really phased that out since I left school. Sad really.

I went to my seamstress today for my spiderman suit. I gave her the print a month ago. She promised me that she would finish it in two weeks. It's been a month and she didn't even touch it. So I decided to buy a sewing machine and try to do it myself. Luckily, the machine comes with sewing class.:lol

I went to my seamstress today for my spiderman suit. I gave her the print a month ago. She promised me that she would finish it in two weeks. It's been a month and she didn't even touch it. So I decided to buy a sewing machine and try to do it myself. Luckily, the machine comes with sewing class.:lol

Sewing stretch can be tricky for a beginner. Easier to do on a serger. However, it isn't terribly difficult as spandex doesn't require as much care as many fabrics. Also, there be tricks. One of my favorites is to used strips of fusible lightweight interfacing along the zipper seams to keep it from stretching out where you sew it.
Good luck with it.

I think it's so awesome that guys can sew! I've tried to teach my bf, but he just doesn't have it in him -_- :cry He can paint and help with props though, so that's good! :lol

At least he tries... I would give my now ex small tasks, like pick up a pair of shoelaces, and she couldn't even do that... And she knew how to sew. She just didn't put effort into anything other than school/work. This applied to many aspects of her life. I'm the guy. I'm not supposed to be the one repeatedly using the phrase "you're not getting into this bed until you shower."

That, sir, would be a perfect world. I've actually overheard someone walk by the old sewing sections in Walmart and say "People still sew??"

I've heard this as well. Makes me facepalm...

You would think middle and high schools would force a home ec course and how to basic hand sew...but they've really phased that out since I left school. Sad really.

Have they really phased this out? WTF?

Have they really phased this out? WTF?

It may be a regional thing, but I know it's definitely not a requirement or even looked upon as something that's "needed".

At least he tries... I would give my now ex small tasks, like pick up a pair of shoelaces, and she couldn't even do that... And she knew how to sew. She just didn't put effort into anything other than school/work. This applied to many aspects of her life. I'm the guy. I'm not supposed to be the one repeatedly using the phrase "you're not getting into this bed until you shower."

LOL aww. And hence why she's the ex I suppose!

Sewing stretch can be tricky for a beginner. Easier to do on a serger. However, it isn't terribly difficult as spandex doesn't require as much care as many fabrics. Also, there be tricks. One of my favorites is to used strips of fusible lightweight interfacing along the zipper seams to keep it from stretching out where you sew it.
Good luck with it.

Thanks for the tips. I will try my best to learn how to sew. I am trying to sew spiderman suit. Hope I can get it done before Halloween.:lol

love your Steam punk Batman.... just fantastic! I'm a bro that can sew currently making Jack Sparrow costume..... would love to see more pics of your work

While I can't brag having sewn any costumes from scratch myself, having learned my way around a sewing machine, as well as the basic hand backstitch is someting I have never regretted. Essential for costume maintenance, and costantly pushing me towards new challenges, I really can't imagine getting by without it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back