I'm a Bro and I Sew... Who else is with me?

i thought this was from the movie...

385591_10100559280010426_1819624419_n.jpg

very nice ^_^

I'd bet good money that was taken at the Hyatt during Dragon*Con. Heck, I could probably take you to the exact spot. :lol

Anyhoo, learning to sew is one of those things that I want to punch out on the bucket list eventually. I have some screen accurate buckles for a Browncoat, see...

I'm a bro and i do sew. Mostly self learned with some help from my mother and grandmother
I like doing it when i need to, Just a new skill to add to the Hobby.

Chicks dig it also when i say that i sew.:love

Made a Fallout 3 Jumpsuit.
finishedf.jpg

Sewed the anchor emblem on my haddock shirt and his sailer sack.
winae.jpg

This thread (well, the women saying it is sexy) has made me finally get a sewing machine. I haven't used one since I had to take home economics in the 70's. Now the only thing stopping me from a job at the Tantalus Penal Colony is the boots.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

I'm a bro and I just started sewing on a machine. (I have done some hand-stitched repairs and I can sew the heck out of a button.) I borrowed Mom's machine and she ended up buying a new one, so it's sitting in my office with a copy of "Me and My Sewing Machine" (IIRC).

This was my first minor project: sewing new rings onto my son's Indy satchel. This was the second one. Not too bad for not having any idea what I was doing.

bag2.jpg

My next project will be modding an Indy shirt for the boy. (Adding the front...plackets? and epaulettes.) Maybe. Oh, and then hand-sewing a new ribbon onto his new/old/real vintage fedora. So much to do...

DSC07571.jpg

I often wish I'd taken Home Ec in high school. Mom signed me up for typing, and I resisted, but when I found myself the only boy in class, sitting in front of a cheerleader, I changed my tune. Definitely the most valuable class I ever took.

Last edited:
I did my first bit of sewing outside of home-ec class (16 years ago?) this summer while I was visiting my parents. I made a black robe/cloak for my Sith Acolyte costume I wore to Celebration 6.
It was frustrating, but I'll be giving it a go again in the future. I was told after I finished my cloak that the machine I was using is a pain in the rear.

Small picture of my first attempt at sewing.
7884303378_2c236fc841.jpg

Hi all

Sorry i have been a bit of a lurker here, and thought i'd show some costumes my wife and i have put together. I have been costuming since 2008, and enjoy it now as much as when i first tried it.

Here are a few costumes we have put a needle and thread to.......

First my Scarecrow from Dr.Who 'Family of Blood' & 'Human Nature'

P8040157.jpg

Family Of Blood - YouTube

next my Clown, this character is one of Penguin's thugs from 'Batman Returns' the clown is from the Red Triangle Circus, we see them emerge from a great big parcel at the start of the film. My wife hand made all soft parts to screen accuracy, even my MP5K has been modded to screen accuracy, There are two varients of the clown, one with a red wig one who rides a motorcross bike........

P9230139.jpg

106_6297.jpg

106_6298.jpg

Next we made this for my daughter Hit Girl,

P8180090.jpg

P9010034.jpg

I had to get Kick Ass so this is mine.....

P9220024_zps545a6cc3.jpg

P9220074_zps64e859ed.jpg

P9220064_zps95992342.jpg

I have a few more costume in WIP D.rWho Judoon's Captain Tybo, also Star Wars Garindan and soon a Gamorrean Guard.

Well I don't sew too much, but I have sewn together a couple military style harnesses for Metal Gear cosplays.

Peace Walker Big Boss SPIE harness (commissioned for a friend)
6868126113_9b57f6f070_b.jpg

6965353946_447865e19e_b.jpg

Snake Eater Naked Snake STABO harness
6783630566_f032e7830a_b.jpg

7591161812_a90be9993f_c.jpg

I'm actually about to take on my biggest sewing project with a military inspired jacket and pats for my Protoman costume.

I'm a bro and I sew! I took home-ec for 2 years and leather work in boy scouts, so I combined these into leather sewing. I have a sewing machine that does well with fabric and deerskin. I have done a few deerskin vests and skirts, but always as gifts. I have only done hand sewing for costuming, alterations and repairs, as well as a number of custom sword and knife sheaths for my own collection. This year I have to do some alterations on a skirt for my daughter's costume, so I guess its' time to sharpen the skills again. :)

These are a couple of my 1st attempts at sheaths, the knife is my wife's backpacking blade, it didn't come with a sheath and she wanted to bring it on an 8 week camping trip. I made one from heavy belt grade cowhide and stretched buckskin over it. It's seen a lot of use (and rain) since I made it in 1994. My regret is that I used plastic beads on the fringes, I wanted to replace them, but she likes it the way it is. The sword I ordered for a ren fair in 95, the catalog said it came with a sheath but when it arrived (the day before the faire) the was none. I spent that night (about 8 hours) making this one for it out of whatever was on hand. The base is cowhide, buckskin outer layer with blue glass and brass trade beads. They insist on peace ties (I HATE having a plastic zip tie on my sword!) so I made the removable/adjustable swod frog with built in peace ties. I was going as a "barbarian" that year so the primative design worked well. The horizontal "hang" on the belt also makes drawing a 48" curved blade easy and smooth! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6366.JPG
    IMG_6366.JPG
    311.4 KB · Views: 99
Guilty as charge, most of the stuff in my sig I have put together except the Starshipp Troopers stuff and the Captain Kirk stuff. I learn to sew doing car interior and then moved over to costumes. Recently coughed up the cash and got a Babylock Serenade, what an awesome maching!!!!

Just wrapped this up last night!

US5.jpg

US2.jpg

US1.jpg

undershirt5.jpg

Thats SWEET Rikarus! What model did you get? I'm still struggling with a Singer education model surplus from the local high school!

I haven't sewn in a long time but spent a week sewing an undersuit for my Havoc Trooper a few weeks ago

550840_363742423709912_586053213_n.jpg

485719_363742467043241_555271618_n.jpg

and here it is under the armor
431746_363742390376582_1760512415_n.jpg

Thats SWEET Rikarus! What model did you get? I'm still struggling with a Singer education model surplus from the local high school!

Just don't replace it with a new Singer. When I looked at the machines on Joann most of the reviews were half "It's great!" and half "It was broken before I took it out of the box!" I went to a Janome dealer and bought a machine from them. They do repairs there so I won't have to ship it somewhere if it needs work.

I made a couple of small things in the classes they have for new purchases and I'm starting to cut the fabric for my costume. That is taking a LOT longer than I thought it would.

BD the Model is the Serenade, Babylock is the brand, they are pricey but worth every penny! I second the singer comments, I had a singer HD that I wiped out trying to sew doublets becasue it couldnt handle layers.

I just picked up my sewing machine, a Janome HD 1000, this is a lot better than my old cheapo machine. I cant wait to start making more items.

Im a Bro and I Sew... :)

I just picked up my sewing machine, a Janome HD 1000, this is a lot better than my old cheapo machine. I cant wait to start making more items.

Im a Bro and I Sew... :)

That looks like a good one. I probably would have gotten that if my dealer carried it.

I did a mock up of my Star Trek Halloween costume in muslin and tomorrow I start cutting the real stuff with adjustments.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back