Can you Sew Onto a Latex Mask - Help

rosHG1989

Hi guys, I want to make a Leatherface mask like this one, does anyone know whether you can sew normal thread without breaking the latex?

Attachments

• 66D36CDD-AD31-4778-8B98-80573D5F15C4.jpeg
    66D36CDD-AD31-4778-8B98-80573D5F15C4.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 62
You may need to increase the stitch length if you are using a sewing machine. Having too many holes close together can perforate the material and cause it to rip too easily under stress. Also you may need to loosen the thread tensioning so the thread is not pulling too tight and also cutting through the material. If you are sewing by hand you can make these adjustments manually.

You may need to increase the stitch length if you are using a sewing machine. Having too many holes close together can perforate the material and cause it to rip too easily under stress. Also you may need to loosen the thread tensioning so the thread is not pulling too tight and also cutting through the material. If you are sewing by hand you can make these adjustments manually.
Hi, thanks I’ll bear that in mind. I was going to sew by hand. I just want the look of stitches on a mask I bought and am customising, i’m not actually sewing two pieces together.

You'll be fine, just don't over-taut your stitching. I hand-stitched sutures onto a latex without any problems, I was working with a larger leather needle and fake sinew.
On mine I had an idea of the stitch layout I wanted, so I went through with a dry-erase marker and dotted all of my points on the mask as a guide. After hand stitching, the marks rubbed out with a cloth. If you do this, of course test the marker on an inconspicuous spot first, but mine wiped back off easily (might have used a spray of water or two as well).

You can also put strips of cloth on the backside. Sewing through the strips will reinforce the area to prevent the latex from ripping.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back