How to build sliders timer electronics

Assuming you can either get a good enough mix, or find a spraypaint in as close a shade as possible.

As I have said in other threads, 'quality control' on the plastics color was not all that strict on these phones, at least at the supply level... The color gray varied from shipment to shipment of the housings and even between the two primary plastics manufactures Motorola used at the time... We had to date match and manufacture match the housing when pulling parts most of the time or else it was obvious that it was two lots and QC would kick the phones out as rejects... Heck sometimes the two different manufactures parts wouldn't even mate up properly even thought they were supposed to be identical... This was headache for those like me doing repair work, or when phones came back for service, it became standard practice to just junk the entire housing if it was in for repair with a part of the housing damaged rather then try to find a match... FYI the actual texture pattern on the plastic itself between the two manufactures was not the same either...

With that said unless you can color match in person to the screen used phone, just about any close shade of gray will be pretty 'kosher' to the real deal as the real deal didn't really have one locked in color...

FYI, same with the keypads I could go on and on about the headache encountered when they implemented a computerized visual scan of the keypad, and computerized button check just before going to QC... Same issues, different manufacturing dates vs different suppliers meant they where never the same and the computer would freak out and reject until reprogrammed for the new run of keypads...

i plan on continuing my project but the only problem is.... I've no idea what i'm doing. i got a simple multiplexed led display going kinda.... but nothing i do gets my 7 segments to light up.... so ill be messing with that. but i REALLY hope that's not him.

I have seen that a few Steve(n) Gensers come up when I dio a search. Many of them are in Canada. I hope it isn't him as he seemed like a nice guy from my couple of messages to him. I checked Rocket Visual Effects too but found nothing.

As I have mentioned, Lightbenders might do it if enough people guaranteed interest. He made great boards for the Egyptian timer but it depends how badly people want something as they are expensive.

Those electronics are jinxed. I really wonder if they will ever be done... :/

Well, in that case, put a post in the Junkyard, to gauge interest. Simple as that. :)

But, to my opinion, as this ( doing an electronic Timer kit ) is something that have been kinda "dead and alive" for years now, you'll have to generate a bit of a buzz for this to work : If you create such an interest post, you'll have to give it time to be seen by most people who could be clients for your guy, and spread the word.

I know there are some people interested. I am, for instance, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. " Pending on price ", of course. But, if you have the opportunity to solve this problem, then please give it a try and do so. :)

Sparticus, yes, this is "kinda" what we are looking for. Congrats for this build ! I'll head to your thread to ask a couple questions...

Well, in that case, put a post in the Junkyard, to gauge interest. Simple as that. :)

It isn't me trying to sell them.

But, to my opinion, as this ( doing an electronic Timer kit ) is something that have been kinda "dead and alive" for years now, you'll have to generate a bit of a buzz for this to work : If you create such an interest post, you'll have to give it time to be seen by most people who could be clients for your guy, and spread the word.

He isn't my guy. My dealings with him have been as a customer. He was originally going to do Original Timer boards. and I forget ezactly why he didn't continue. The idea was to mae them fit both the real Motorola phone shell and one of Thermalized Plastics shell kits. I think the problem was he didn't have a real phone to use for development and they getting hard to find.

I know there are some people interested. I am, for instance, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. " Pending on price ", of course. But, if you have the opportunity to solve this problem, then please give it a try and do so. :)

It's always "depending on price" with stuff here. Too many people expect the working boards are going to be done for $50 but it won't happen. They will cost $200 or more. Someone made it worth his time to develop the Egyptian Timer board which he does offer for sale. Again $50 is not going to get one.

I may see if Dan has any interest in me posting an interest thread but I'm pretty sure he'd want "definite" numbers not a whole lot of "may be interested". Dan's daughter is a member here so maybe she might pass it by him again.

Last edited:
Okay, you're just a customer, sorry for the mix-up... well, you could just send him a quick email then. What I wanted to say is, someone has to start the wheel and make it roll; A simple post or email can do the trick. That's all.

I think the problem was he didn't have a real phone to use for development and they getting hard to find.
I'm pretty sure people here could help on that point.

It's always "depending on price" with stuff here. Too many people expect the working boards are going to be done for $50 but it won't happen.
Crix's Portal gun electronics were more simple and yet sold around 150$ if memory serves, and nobody whined about that. For a complete Timer electronics, being under 200$ would be suspicious. And, yes, when someone puts a lot of work in something and also make something no one else does, I do not have problem to pay this guy what he deserves.
That said, 200$ ( and more ) are quite a lot of money, and one should not be surprised if there are not a lot of people who can't pocket out this sum.

Anyway, you should not mix the fact that people are cautious these times, hence the " Pending price ", with the behaviour we often see in clueless people who doesn't understand the prop hobby, and who ask for a complete suit for 50$. You can't avoid that. If you have patience you explain them the situation, if you don't, well, you just don't reply to them.
After that, it's up to him if he wants to spend time to do this, or not.

If he wants definite numbers, then he just should ask for a deposit first.

Again : A simple post, saying " I do this, I ask that much for that " is free, doesn't take much time and can change a lot of things. :)

Just my humble two cents. :)

I've been after one of these for so long now, we all go a bit crazy when price is mentioned. But I reckon after all this time I could stump up $300 - $400 for something that works and looks good (screen accuracy isn't a big concern to me)

So every data sheet in the world has the two common anode/cathode pins in the middle.... i guess the Chinese manufacturer said F$#@ that S&@# and pin these displays COMPLETELY differently.

Anyways, it works now.

so now I'm working on the multiplexed 6 digits... fun.

and I'm cheating and using an arduino. (this is my first project I'm allowed to cheat)

If we can get those guys to make a PCB then awesome I'm down. I've also got the Micro Digital Lite phone. but I'm not sure how i feel about shipping it to someone who may or may not do this.

Okay, you're just a customer, sorry for the mix-up... well, you could just send him a quick email then. What I wanted to say is, someone has to start the wheel and make it roll; A simple post or email can do the trick. That's all.

I've "spoken" with Dan about it and I will start an interest thread in the Junkyard when we sort out a couple more definite details. He's been thinking it migt be time to look at this again.

Crix's Portal gun electronics were more simple and yet sold around 150$ if memory serves, and nobody whined about that. For a complete Timer electronics, being under 200$ would be suspicious. And, yes, when someone puts a lot of work in something and also make something no one else does, I do not have problem to pay this guy what he deserves. That said, 200$ ( and more ) are quite a lot of money, and one should not be surprised if there are not a lot of people who can't pocket out this sum.

This isn't going to be a cheap board by any means. It is a bit more complex than the Egyptian Timer board and that will affect the price. Like that timer it would be controlled by a microcontroller chip which reduces component count somewhat and also means lots of functionality can be programmed in. He is willing to suck up the development costs I think but would need a profit on the boards to cover it. It is his job; he isn't really a "prop" guy.

I know it will be "a lot of money" and that some just won't be able to afford it which of course limits the numbers and keeps the price up per board. The cheaper option for them is static (no countdown) display piece. A display reading 12:34:56 or something can be done pretty easily.

Anyway, you should not mix the fact that people are cautious these times, hence the " Pending price ", with the behaviour we often see in clueless people who doesn't understand the prop hobby, and who ask for a complete suit for 50$. You can't avoid that. If you have patience you explain them the situation, if you don't, well, you just don't reply to them.
After that, it's up to him if he wants to spend time to do this, or not.

Yes I have mentioned that to him. I know the work that goes into this sort of thing but it is just beyond my ability to make it or I would have had a go.

I have one of his Egyptian timer boards and it is really well made on a quailty PCB with no rat's nest of wires. It can be seen on the Lightbenders website. It is just the electronics. Keypad and remote shell to be provided by the customer. I can put people on to the right keypad which needs modding slightly.

If he wants definite numbers, then he just should ask for a deposit first.

I have suggested that as well. It will need a few months of development and will require some imput as to what exactly people want it to do with regard to lighting sequences and such. I suggest people start making suggestions. My memory of all of the sequences is a bit hazy. I know people who are really interested won't mind waiting a few months if there will be something tangible at the end.

Again : A simple post, saying " I do this, I ask that much for that " is free, doesn't take much time and can change a lot of things. :)

Just my humble two cents. :)

It is pretty much how the post will be. Hopefully I might have a more definite idea of cost to the customer and more details.

your two cents is valuable. Polite and constructive comments are always welcome.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back