Sliders Timer replica

JakeConhale

Over the COVID lockdown, I had a lot of spare time on my hands and decided I'd put my new 3d printer to the test.

People of culture may remember a Sci-fi show a ways back called Sliders - a group of folks testing out a device allowing passage to alternate dimensions become lost and are seeking their way home. It's a lot like Quantum Leap, actually.

Over the course of the series, they used a device known as a "timer" to hop dimensions. The first one looked like this:
Timer reference.jpg

It was built into a particular brand of cellphone. (Though never stated, I suspect the rationale was to allow the characters to interact with the device in public while not drawing undue attention, people would just assume someone was fiddling with their phone). The top set of digits indicated how many days until the next "Slide" - on the original prop this was just a static display, the lower set of digits displayed hours, minutes, and seconds until the display, and the rest were basically blinkies to make it look like it was doing something impressive. The circular section above the "earpiece" was a power or intensity indicator.

Anyways, here's my build:
Timer Circuit 1.jpg

The unit is powered by an arduino nano and a 9v battery. I was able to find a particular 3 digit clock display that I could flip upside down to complete the hours/minutes/seconds display as well as the days remaining.

I designed and order a custom circuit board for the build. It turned out... alright. There were some errors in the design (all my fault) but nothing I couldn't work around. (the power jack port pins were completely the wrong way around, for example, and rather than being soldered to the board, the jack had to be connected through wires)
Timer Circuit 2.jpg

The initial plan was just to have the power knob be completely disconnected, as I didn't know what I could do with it. I found an 8-way rotary switch on adafruit and was able to turn it into the power switch. I also found a ring like on Adafruit and, with the help of a voltage divider circuit, was able to repurpose the power display from an intensity dial to a battery power indicator. Rather proud of that.

After that was said and done, I printed the top and bottom using a notch connection design I found online, and was able to assemble the thing:

Timer assembled 1.jpg

Timer assembled 2.jpg

The HH:MM:SS display is red LEDs under red glass cut to size using the score-and-snap method. The keypad is functional and one is able to input a desired time. The device actually has a number of functions:
  • The sliders Timer function, including a randomly generated new time after every "slide", assuming you do slide, otherwise you'll be stranded for the next 27 years.
  • A clock function
  • An options page, allowing one to turn the sound on/off, change the boot sequence between original and Egyptian displays, whether or not to flash the LED blinkies, adjust brightness, and how long to wait before going to "sleep".
The code clocks in at 1430 lines. I always meant to add a stopwatch function, for general practicality, but haven't gotten around to it. It's in storage at the moment.

I think I need to adjust my settings on the 3d printer, the print came out with more striations than I had anticipated, not sure it's quite getting sufficiently hot. Meant to have a keypad cover but the mounting arms broke so I need to revisit that design. I also need to actually implement the wormhole generator at the top pf the unit, but I have ideas on that.

Anyways, what do ya'll think?

Good job for a custom timer, though the keypad is completely wrong for the orginal. It used some of the original buttons from the phone. The Egyptian timer and the Jensen/Rickman timer use a keypad (87 series) made by Grayhill Inc. The phone used for the original timer was a Motorola MicroTAC Ultra Lite. The Egyptian timer was an RCA RCU4GLW Niteglo universal remote control and the Jensen/Rickman timer was a Mad Catz Sega Genesis game controller.

Attachments

• 2022-08-19 (1).png
    2022-08-19 (1).png
    138.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Over the COVID lockdown, I had a lot of spare time on my hands and decided I'd put my new 3d printer to the test.

People of culture may remember a Sci-fi show a ways back called Sliders - a group of folks testing out a device allowing passage to alternate dimensions become lost and are seeking their way home. It's a lot like Quantum Leap, actually.

Over the course of the series, they used a device known as a "timer" to hop dimensions. The first one looked like this:View attachment 1565252

It was built into a particular brand of cellphone. (Though never stated, I suspect the rationale was to allow the characters to interact with the device in public while not drawing undue attention, people would just assume someone was fiddling with their phone). The top set of digits indicated how many days until the next "Slide" - on the original prop this was just a static display, the lower set of digits displayed hours, minutes, and seconds until the display, and the rest were basically blinkies to make it look like it was doing something impressive. The circular section above the "earpiece" was a power or intensity indicator.

View attachment 1565254

The unit is powered by an arduino nano and a 9v battery. I was able to find a particular 3 digit clock display that I could flip upside down to complete the hours/minutes/seconds display as well as the days remaining.

I designed and order a custom circuit board for the build. It turned out... alright. There were some errors in the design (all my fault) but nothing I couldn't work around. (the power jack port pins were completely the wrong way around, for example, and rather than being soldered to the board, the jack had to be connected through wires)
View attachment 1565255

The initial plan was just to have the power knob be completely disconnected, as I didn't know what I could do with it. I found an 8-way rotary switch on adafruit and was able to turn it into the power switch. I also found a ring like on Adafruit and, with the help of a voltage divider circuit, was able to repurpose the power display from an intensity dial to a battery power indicator. Rather proud of that.

After that was said and done, I printed the top and bottom using a notch connection design I found online, and was able to assemble the thing:

View attachment 1565256.

View attachment 1565257

The HH:MM:SS display is red LEDs under red glass cut to size using the score-and-snap method. The keypad is functional and one is able to input a desired time. The device actually has a number of functions:
  • The sliders Timer function, including a randomly generated new time after every "slide", assuming you do slide, otherwise you'll be stranded for the next 27 years.
  • A clock function
  • An options page, allowing one to turn the sound on/off, change the boot sequence between original and Egyptian displays, whether or not to flash the LED blinkies, adjust brightness, and how long to wait before going to "sleep".
The code clocks in at 1430 lines. I always meant to add a stopwatch function, for general practicality, but haven't gotten around to it. It's in storage at the moment.

I think I need to adjust my settings on the 3d printer, the print came out with more striations than I had anticipated, not sure it's quite getting sufficiently hot. Meant to have a keypad cover but the mounting arms broke so I need to revisit that design. I also need to actually implement the wormhole generator at the top pf the unit, but I have ideas on that.

absolutely wonderful!
any further progress on this? I finally have the 2266-87AB3-201-ND keypad for my Egyptian timer scheduled for delivery tomorrow and its got me itching to start designing a circuit board to drive it. then i found your project and i am wondering if you happened to release your Arduino code, or would be willing to share?

Over the course of the series, they used a device known as a "timer" to hop dimensions. The first one looked like this:View attachment 1565252

View attachment 1565254

View attachment 1565255

View attachment 1565256.

View attachment 1565257

• A clock function

I myself would be interested in knowing how to make this, I enjoyed the show Sliders, and I really would enjoy making it. How did you make the circuit board, and is there a step by step how to make the Timer?

absolutely wonderful!
any further progress on this? I finally have the 2266-87AB3-201-ND keypad for my Egyptian timer scheduled for delivery tomorrow and its got me itching to start designing a circuit board to drive it. then i found your project and i am wondering if you happened to release your Arduino code, or would be willing to share?

I have been researching and developing my perfect Egyptian timer for about 4 years now. The hardest part is tracking down old stock of parts or trying to reverse engineer how they did something. Though with modern technology. The easiest part nowadays is designing the electronics and PCB. So many companies doing PCB fabrication and surface mount soldering of ics.

As of today I have new old stock of:
The RCU4GLW remote used as the chassis
The RED ACRYLIC plate that covered the front face.
A 1:1 replica of the EGYPTIAN WINGED SCARAB metal plate at the bottom face. Have 2 that have both patina to a perfect look.
I Have been looking EVERYWHERE FOR THE BRASS EMITTERS that have the cut scored lines on them. Cannot anywhere.

Also.....I'm not sure the 12 key grey hill keypad is the exact one used. I bought 1 and thought so myself being that the 4x3 matrix of it would make using it a snap. Problem is. The clear.caps that can come off cannot be turned by 90°
It won't fit back in. The ones on the prop timer have the indented sides of the cap on the top and bottom, but the come left and right....if you just turn the pad, it's now in the 3x4 look and not the 4x3 look, so I'm unsure how to proceed on that front as well....

Any insights to these issues is great appreciated!!!

Sir, you are my hero. This was one of my favorite shows when it was on and I may have met 2 people who have even heard of it let alone seen it. The build looks amazing. I love how it is such a classically scifi looking prop and the functionality you gave it is exactly the type of thing an actor on set would love in a prop.

Cheers sir

I have been researching and developing my perfect Egyptian timer for about 4 years now. The hardest part is tracking down old stock of parts or trying to reverse engineer how they did something. Though with modern technology. The easiest part nowadays is designing the electronics and PCB. So many companies doing PCB fabrication and surface mount soldering of ics.

As of today I have new old stock of:
The RCU4GLW remote used as the chassis
The RED ACRYLIC plate that covered the front face.
A 1:1 replica of the EGYPTIAN WINGED SCARAB metal plate at the bottom face. Have 2 that have both patina to a perfect look.
I Have been looking EVERYWHERE FOR THE BRASS EMITTERS that have the cut scored lines on them. Cannot anywhere.

Also.....I'm not sure the 12 key grey hill keypad is the exact one used. I bought 1 and thought so myself being that the 4x3 matrix of it would make using it a snap. Problem is. The clear.caps that can come off cannot be turned by 90°
It won't fit back in. The ones on the prop timer have the indented sides of the cap on the top and bottom, but the come left and right....if you just turn the pad, it's now in the 3x4 look and not the 4x3 look, so I'm unsure how to proceed on that front as well....

Any insights to these issues is great appreciated!!!

AGREED, the circuit fab is by far the easiest part, programming will be a bit trickier, but not an insurmountable challenge.
*my research has shown that they took apart the keypad and turned all the keys 90* then re-assembled it.
*the brass tubes are just standard stock from a hobby shop (i forget the dia atm) etched with a pipe-cutter tool.

I have determined that the top of the remote chassis will need to be either CNC or laser cut to get a perfect fit, but i am quite happy with how my faceplate/lense came out. I am probably going to make a revision with some additional etching on the backside to allow for the solvent to stay where I want it.

I designed the plate so that the box and text are just etched on the face, this allows you to pull up that section of protective paper and you have a paint mask already applied! I am sure that the outcome could be improved with a bit of additional cleanup before pulling up the mask, but for my initial test, I think it came out very well.

When I finalize the design, ill post it on thingiverse for others to use, still need to find a place to order the lasercut from that stocks the correct red as ponoko only had 1 translucent red option available but it worked well enough to test the results.

I am also going to design a 3d printed replacement for the IR lense, with holes and mounting for the brass tubes modeled in, as I don't want to even try and drill 30 year old brittle plastic, especially without a drill press.

What I need help with, is decoding the bargraph patterns for 0-9, I know that there tied into the 2 seconds digits. I have attached a reference i have been building. each number segment is labeled with A-G + DP (decimal point) 1 was the easiest to figure out, as its just 2 segments (see attached) so if you have any insight or freetime, and want to help me try and figure out the patterns, I can complete the wiring and finish the board.
1682192272017.png

Attachments

• 20230422_112142.jpg
    20230422_112142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • 20230422_122641.jpg
    20230422_122641.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 146
  • timer countdown refference.png
    timer countdown refference.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Unsure how much life is left in these threads for the Original timer, but I recently designed a 3D printable file that can be used as an insert for your timer build. Planning on posting this item to Thingiverse for all if there is any interest.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.JPG
    IMG_3357.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
  • Timer Insert.png
    Timer Insert.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 103
Hi all

I'm currently working on a fully 3D printed Season 1 model, with electronics and PCB, as getting hold of the original MicroTACs isn't easy. Not ready to put it out there just yet, but keeping this thread alive would be good.

Unsure how much life is left in these threads for the Original timer, but I recently designed a 3D printable file that can be used as an insert for your timer build. Planning on posting this item to Thingiverse for all if there is any interest.
Anything timer related we are looking to collate. I've been over the last month compiling everything I can on all 4 timers to make a MASTER post for everyone, so any information and files would be helpful. Some people have produced amazing work, but unfortunately, I have not been able to convince them to SHARE the work with everyone, which is there prerogative I have over the last 20 years been collecting and researching all of these timers and would like to think I have amassed enough information to help most people get a good leg up on it all..

The 5 TIMERS I am referring to are,
1. ORIGINAL TIMER
2. EGYPTIAN TIMER v1 & v2
3. LOGAN St.CLAIRE TIMER
4. RICKMAN TIMER

I do not include the PILOT "ANTIGRAVITY DEVICE" or the "WORLD KILLER" device. They are more of PROPS designed for that episode. One could argue the LOGAN TIMER is also, being it was a one off, though it was always intended ORIGINALLY for LOGAN to be a recurring SEASON 3 VILLAIN, this her TIMER was made to be used for multiple episodes, like the RICKMAN.TIMER.

Just out of curiosity BeakZ how far along are you in the development process for the timer?

Here's a couple of renders of the model. It's about as accurate as I can make it from measurements and references that I have from around the Internet. The front has a recess for acrylic to give it that shiny finish. There is a non-cannon hole in the back at the moment for a piezo disc for the speaker, and I'm going for basic sound output, no MP3 playback etc. Trying to make it sound more like an old device with limited audio. This may change depending on testing results.

1688370647292.png
1688370671874.png
1688370898366.png

There's a PCB prototype that works, but am updating it already to include the extra row of buttons along the bottom and respacing of some components now the physical prototype is in my hands.
1688370986706.png

I've been working on this over on the Props3D Discord (Join the Props3D Discord Server!), and have a few others interested in this when it's ready. Have plans for a docking station, which then offers other features like using it as a desk clock and charging etc.

Disclaimer: It's never going to be 100% screen accurate, but without a regular cheap supply of the base phone, 3D printing is probably within the budget of many now.

Here's some of the prototype remnants:

Sliders Timers.jpg

Happy to post updates here, or come on over to the #sliders-series-1-timer-device channel on our Discord.

Happy Sliding,

Paul

Also, to EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM THREAD, a HUGE THANK YOU TO EVWRYONE FOR THE WORK AND SUPPORT!!! I never imagined when I started my timer journey back in 1997, 26 years ago that we would be at this point where we can now manufacture our own plastic housings using 3d CAD tools... Along with now being able to design, place, and have files sent for both 3d printing and PCB manufacturing to companies that will then make them for us, the everyday joe walking the street and such.

THANK YOU TO YO6 ALL!

Really incredible to see the work being done on this. The timer has been my grail of a replica ever since I saw it flip open and open a wormhole as a kid.

I can't tell you amount of calculators I took apart to make my own shoddy toy to play with as a kid.

Just joined the discord to follow the progress, thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back