HBO's House of the Dragon

I saw it, and I dig it. It could easily go either way. I'm not sure how I feel about it over all so far (which is probably good, given that it's a single episode).

Does anyone remember if this is meant to be a single season one-and-done story arc? or is this another "we've got a story and we're telling it a season at a time until we're done." thing?

Does anyone remember if this is meant to be a single season one-and-done story arc? or is this another "we've got a story and we're telling it a season at a time until we're done." thing?

Not sure if they've announced a specific number, but it's definitely intended to be several seasons.

I haven't read Fire & Blood, but considering that it's supposed to be heavily based on the 1138-1153 Anarchy in England and Normandy (i.e. Viserys I is Henry I, Rhaenyra is Maude, Aegon II is Stephen, etc.), I imagine we're in for a lengthy set-up. My guess is we won't get to the civil war until Season 2.

Fire & Blood?

Is this series based off of a book Martin wrote? I thought it was just HBO buying rights to make shows, and going "lets fill in the actual story of some of these books that sir davos is always puttering through".

Fire & Blood?

Is this series based off of a book Martin wrote? I thought it was just HBO buying rights to make shows, and going "lets fill in the actual story of some of these books that sir davos is always puttering through".

As I understand it (and with no research on my part, just my nerd buddy telling me yesterday) it's based on a "text book" history style GOT book, and it's supposed to be 5 - pre planned out, seasons....

But I didn't verify any of that, and could be pulling it out of my @ss.

Call me Doomcock II

*takes off my stupid helmet*

Fire & Blood?

House of the Dragon:

Fire & Blood:

Fire and Blood is great. It reads like a history book though. I actually got it again on audible because it’s a good listen as well. Great compliment to the source material as is The World of A Song of Ice and Fire almanac. The Dance of Dragons civil war and the Blackfyre rebellions are both series I wanted to see made since I read about them.

Seems like there's a lot more "Prince of the City", "Knught of Old town", "position of place" in this episode than in all of GoT. The places seem a lot more specific in the references, where as in GoT it seemed more "North", "Vale".

Anyone who's dug into the books know if that's a specific difference between the two time periods? Or just the nature of who happened to be on screen in this one episode, and it's kind of a fluke?

Two episodes in, and overall it still seems reasonable to me. Lots of pieces getting placed in motion and plenty of nuance in characters' choices, believably laying the groundwork for a situation where the audience may find itself conflicted as to which party to root for. And personally, I haven't minded the CGI.

I will say I'm a little confused what Otto expected to happen at Dragonstone... but at worst that's hopefully an isolated instance of odd tactics.

Also, still a bit thrown by the GOT theme music's reuse. As wonderful and catchy as it is, why not the equally-excellent new music from the trailer?

Last edited:
I loved this episode. as someone who enjoys history, I like the political maneuvers and the chess pieces being put in place. Wasn’t sure on Matt Smith at first, but liked him quite a bit in this episode. So far I've really liked the entire cast from top to bottom.

I'll say this....

8c607999-9c06-40a8-bea7-4ca77d1be1a8_text.gif

I've been enjoying the show, but this kind of stuff is absolutely my jam. I loved GoT up until it became an absolute dog's dinner of fast-travel and non-sensical storylines.

I am really liking the characters. It's nice to see Matt Smith get a roll with some actual meat to it.

We watched the first episode last night. The intrigue and characters are interested and well realized. But it did strike me how gratuitous certain aspects of the old show were and the new show remains. HBO has apparently not fired their "CEO of Boobs." That plus a bunch of the violence just felt like they wanted to be like "Hey, remember all the sex and ultraviolence you loved in GOT? Well, it's all here, too!!" And, yeah, a certain amount of sex and a certain amount of violence is to be expected, but it just felt...I dunno...forced. Pronounced for the sake of being pronounced. Gratuitous, really.

It's not bad, and I don't mind it, but it also felt unnecessary and kinda eye-roll-inducing. Like, yeah, yeah, I get it. Boobs and blood. I'm not impressed. The last few seasons of GoT had plenty of boobs and blood, too, and they sucked because the storytelling sucked. I'm here for the story, not the boobs and blood. I expect it will continue, but I do hope they modulate it a bit better in future episodes.

I'll say that I'm also a lot less worried about watching this and being disappointed because (1) I'm not as invested in it, and (2) we know how the story ends. It's like watching an historical drama about Henry VIII. I know he's gonna kill Anne Boelyn. I'm just watching to see how that story is being told this time. Same kinda thing here. I know how this story ends. I'm just curious to see it played out on screen.

As I understand it (and with no research on my part, just my nerd buddy telling me yesterday) it's based on a "text book" history style GOT book, and it's supposed to be 5 - pre planned out, seasons....

But I didn't verify any of that, and could be pulling it out of my @ss.

Call me Doomcock II

*takes off my stupid helmet*

for anyone interested, the story arc seems to be culled from these novellas although beware spoilers

Those stories are expanded upon and added to others in this one:
It's not a novel or a novella, but reads like you're being told the histories by a maester, so no dialogue and things like that, but it does seem to have multiple viewpoints on events which is interesting..

I’ve been looking into the debate as to whether or not Queen Aemma was doomed to die – i.e. whether Viserys’s choice was between:
A. Aemma experiencing a less-painful death vs. the baby surviving, -OR- B. Aemma surviving vs. the baby surviving

Ryan Condal, the episode's writer, settled it from his own perspective in a post-broadcast behind-the-scenes feature:
We were trying to show how dangerous childbirth was, but also to dramatize the terrible position that Viserys is put in, because it’s made very clear to him that Aemma is going to die either way. The only choice that you really have in the matter is whether you try to save the child, and he knows that it’s his duty to put forward a male heir, especially if his wife is not going to make it and not be able to generate another heir for him.

Yet I’m not sure it’s made so clear in the context of the episode. Below is the relevant dialog:

Mellos: During a difficult birth, it sometimes becomes necessary for the father to make an impossible choice… to sacrifice one, or to lose them both. There is a chance that we can save the child. A technique is taught at the Citadel, which involves cutting directly into the womb to free the infant. But the resulting blood loss…
Viserys: Seven Hells, Mellos. … You can save the child?
Mellos: We must either act now, or leave it with the gods.

External knowledge aside, either interpretation could be consistent at least with Mellos's first three sentences. On the one hand, Mellos only suggests saving the baby, making no explicit mention of a possibility to save Aemma. On the other hand, “sacrifice one” is ambiguous, and Mellos makes no explicit mention of Aemma’s fate being sealed, nor is any evidence made obvious to the audience such as significant present bleeding; he may have just been encouraging the choice he felt was right (as he has done in most of his scenes so far). My own interpretation was admittedly the former on my first watch; however, it shifted towards the latter vice-versa scenario on a second viewing.

The hitch I see in retrospect is Mellos’s reference to blood loss. Forgive me if I misunderstand maternal death, but given that destructive vaginal extraction was a very real procedure for attempting to save a mother's life in the event of an obstructed labor (due to breech or a variety of other reasons) prior to safe C-sections, it's a little odd for a mother to be declared doomed to die simply because the baby is failing to exit alive. IF Aemma’s death was assured, and given that we don't see any indicative external signs, it would presumably have to be on account of either present internal hemorrhaging or some inevitable future hemorrhage. OR maybe inevitable infection (though doubtfully diagnosable). OR maybe fatal hypertension (again, doubtfully diagnosable). So Aemma was already most likely going to die by blood loss, or otherwise she was going to die by (doubtfully) some other means. Really in whichever case – but especially if she was going to hemorrhage – why call attention to the resulting blood loss of a C-section? The only reason I can think of is maybe Mellos’s statement, interrupted by Viserys, was meant to suggest not just that Aemma would die but that the high rate of blood loss would cause Aemma to die sooner? That Viserys would lose Aemma more quickly?

It seems the official interpretation could be the case, but it requires both a very particular reason for Aemma's diagnosis that was not specified, AND a very particular meaning behind Mellos’s blood loss warning that was not specified. On the other hand, a vice-versa scenario, where a destructive vaginal extraction could have possibly saved Aemma, strikes me as much more easily plausible. Moreover, the vice-versa interpretation lends the sequence greater shock, and cruelty, and tragedy – Westeros's brand, after all – and makes a more complicated, conflicted character of Viserys. All around, a more compelling story in my opinion.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back