Hasbro Millennium Falcon : Weathering , filters and pastels

Thanks chaps, I did meander the net and found the ikea bins ( £1...bargain )..they look frosted so figured it would be ideal for the panel mounted in front of the lights but behind the engine grill. Got there in the end!

Has anyone produced a template for the engine grill yet? Is the Finemold accurate in terms of how many slots there are in the grill? If so I can upscale this but if anyone has created such a template, that would be much much easier.

D

Hi it's IKEA Dioder system , multicolour straight led , very very bright 12v that you cannot look at directly in any colour
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

i am planning to combine them with other LEDs for the cockpit , I am playing with some white from Ikea , they have another system with round lights that could be great for the large x wing or blockade runner , althought the cost would be prohibative for 11 engines , but could be done.

Once Iam ready to mount in final config I'll post

As an aside the bin was also IKEA very cheap :)

Hey, are the LEDs dimmable?

RE: the engine 'grill', a pattern I've been toying with is cut from a 'stitching craft canvas' material, (a plastic grid used to hold thread patterns.). I trimmed it into panels of the correct height but because it is of limited width (the 'canvas' I have is about 3 inches square), I had to use several pieces to cover the entire width of the 'sublight engine' exhaust. Because the plastic is semi-transparent, I figured it would work well to create a shadow pattern when back-lit. There may be larger pieces available, but I just used the junk I had on hand... here is an image of the 'thang' from a craft blog site: Roots and Wings

Hope this helps!
R/ Robert

Hey, are the LEDs dimmable?

RE: the engine 'grill', a pattern I've been toying with is cut from a 'stitching craft canvas' material, (a plastic grid used to hold thread patterns.). I trimmed it into panels of the correct height but because it is of limited width (the 'canvas' I have is about 3 inches square), I had to use several pieces to cover the entire width of the 'sublight engine' exhaust. Because the plastic is semi-transparent, I figured it would work well to create a shadow pattern when back-lit. There may be larger pieces available, but I just used the junk I had on hand... here is an image of the 'thang' from a craft blog site: Roots and Wings

Hope this helps!
R/ Robert
Hi R,
they are not dim able but can change colour, so for the party nights you can blink between colours or blend into each colour,

that engine grid idea is great , how much would a sheet of that be? Another type of shop to haunt :)

Vacformedhero, your build looks great. I was following this guys build on the same.
http://www.keeperoftheforce.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1102
I also found this http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=65981
really like the 3d printed interior for cockpit. I am in the process of getting a 3d printer and hope to use it on my build as well as the hero x-wing build. Apparently there are some guys already doing PE kits for the falcon.
thanks
I am following jaitea,s build here , it's my inspiration for my build.
the cockpit in my shots is deagostini adjusted to fit hasbro , cost is making me avoid 3d printed items, even though I know they are correct......but I am building this ship so that at a later date if any area I had to scrimp on, I can go back and redo. Everything will hang off the armature, it should be clearer as I move along

Hi R,
they are not dim able but can change colour, so for the party nights you can blink between colours or blend into each colour,

that engine grid idea is great , how much would a sheet of that be? Another type of shop to haunt :)

I'd recommend a Google search for 'stitching craft canvas' or 'plastic canvas needlepoint' to see what is available (I inherited the pile I had, so I didn't have to actually source it myself...) I expect they probably sell it at sewing & general crafts stores, perhaps even at Wally World in their crafts section. But surely it is available online as well. For example, HERE is one result I dug up for 'herrschners.com' that shows bigger sheets, in all different kinds of colors. Hey, I think I'm going to dig further, perhaps I won't have to try and deal with the six of so short pieces I have now... perhaps different grid shapes, as well.

Regards,
Robert

Quick update, armature 2 nearly finished with a more robust mounting of the lighting , I did test the electrical connector blocks behind the diffuser in two directions but I think my diffuser is enough to eliminate details , but I can play with this aspect later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 244
Finally the armature is completed, I may have made it too complex but the reasoning was the lack of confidence in my ability to bond plastics to whatever this is made of.
to that end, the armature includes horizontal bands that are being used to support the key upper hull cutout details, I haven't decided on how they will be fixed but it will enable me to take them back out to mould them, alter them. Also one is under the radar dish support which I will be reworking later to allow swaps, and maybe motorisation .
the other issue that has been flustrating me is the flexing of the hull, I have decided that there will be hero sides where the details will be as close to the ANH as my limited skills can pull together . To that end when I mount it the only sides facing the viewer will be the top (horizontal flight and vertical display) starboard (horizontal flight). The other walls will have detail but if I am short of grebles I will revisit these at a later date.
As the lower hull will never be seen i will make all permanent fixings to the armature from the lower hull, the cockpit and sidewalls will all be fixed to the armature and lower hull. Hull details will be fixed to the armature so the upper hull will be held to the lower hull when closed.
i found 4 places to bolt upto the armature from the lower hull, 2 of these are conveniently where the front and rear lower half join together , in the lipped edge there is a cavity in the lip that doesn't take much to hold a bolt captive, they can be see in the photos each side of the gun turret, there is also one in the front near the location spike, the rear is the vertical spike that is no longer used as the upper one is behind an engine vent which will be removed.
lower hull cutout details will be left as is for the moment, upper mandible cutout details will be supported by the lower mandible cut outs.
you can see in the final photos the docking ring and lighting system refitted, these use plastic caps that insert into box section to cap them off, I have trimmed off the outside of the fins so they can be removed easily, but strong enough to hold on the covers , the docking rings and engine blocks for the mandible mounts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 180
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
It's been over a month , I have been going through all the threads for inspiration..... Some great work out there
now time to get back to the falcon

3 Hours Ago Apr 15, 2015, 3:29 AM - Re: Deagostini Falcon. Anyone seen this? #1565
Just found this on an older thread , great reference all the films can be accessed from the gallery
http://starwarsscreencaps.com/star-w...kes-back-1980/

Last edited:
The falcon built for ANH is 5' and the ESB is 32" (slighty bigger than the Hasbro then).
Take a look at the other threads in this section to see how the models are made.

I think we will never see any studio scale Episode VII Falcon as it looks to be all CGI, so it doesnt fit the studio scale section. I would love to learn that a filming miniature was built for this movie though !

You can't move the thread by yourself, only a moderator can do that.

As I'm sure many of you know very often real models are built and scanned and photographed and then use to construct and texture the CGI models. I think its a VERY good bet that the CGI version of the falcon for Episode 7 is based off scans and pictures of the 5 footer... with some artistic license taken after the CGI model was built. If you look at the details on the5 footer and the still from the trailer as well as other shots like the fortune magazine cover its pretty clear they based the episode 7 falcon on the 5 footer. Still since this is a 28-29" model its not studio scale... but certainly general modeling :) But, just because the model on film seems to be CGI - I'd support any attempt at a studio scale 5 foot episode 7 falcon as belonging in the studio scale thread :D.

Opinions may vary - and Tox your's hold more weight then most based on your builds. I may not be as much of a purist about it, and feel that if a reference model was made, that should be considered the studio scale... again my opinion.

Back on topic - I love the build but agree with others that trying to use the Deagostini parts will be tough since they are about 10% too large for this model.

Keep At it!

Jedi Dade

I have learned a lot from the RPF especially from the reference photos of the Five Foot Millennium Falcon model, I was tired of going through my stored files trying to find the one item I was scratch building so this week I created study reference sheets that show a particular feature of the falcon and I assembled multiple views of that, for example the mandible end details I am scratch building, I thought I would share these with everyone so they can dip in when they are scratch building areas.they can be accessed in my public profile folder here:Thanks to everyone who has shared images of the models, as its very hard for me to get access to the movie props. I will create sheets later on for painting features later on (When I finally finish scratching ), i will be adding to these as I focus on other areas.

http://www.therpf.com/members/vacformedhero/albums/5ft-anh-millennium-falcon/

Some progress to try and invoke some deadlines on myself, key areas or iconic features of the falcon are the priority
first off replicating the 1/5 entex rotary engine and gearbox assembly.
as all the best math teachers say " show your workings"
i had been having problems converting the features from the hero model as I didn't know it's scale and I wasn't sure of the hasbro falcon, after rereading all the falcon threads I will go with the 5 foot falcon (weird how lorne Peterson calls it the 4 foot) being a scale of 1/20 (1/24 scale makes sense as some of the other fighters were 1/24) The hasbro being approx 1/48 scale
so as I don't have the entex rotary engine I used measurement taken from photos on rpf and drew it out free style.
next I did my calculations to create the 1/48 version, and drew it onto acetate , this allowed me to offer it up to the hasbro to see how close it is, and using proportions against other features on the hull it looks bang on. So I moved on to cutting out a profile and start building them using as much model parts as possible to try and give it detail.
So far each gearbox has gearbox bell housing from a 71 Plymouth gtx , half of a Matilda turret, and cement chute and box from 1/24 scale cement . It will have brass rod for details, still figuring out how to get the casting marks on the outside .
The ferrari engine details on the mandibles I started by scratch building with radiator for the grilles , but I'm not happy with them so I'll scratch build with brass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    925 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    765.2 KB · Views: 168
Help needed can anyone confirm in cm the dimensions of the ferrari engines (I have the original model parts at 56.79mm X 48.056mm), panther G 62mm X 24mm and after scaling down I offered up the new sizes to the model again they look correct, but always good to double check.

... after rereading all the falcon threads I will go with the 5 foot falcon (weird how lorne Peterson calls it the 4 foot) being a scale of 1/20 (1/24 scale makes sense as some of the other fighters were 1/24) The hasbro being approx 1/48 scale...

I think where some of the confusion about the size of the two versions of the falcons has been is how they were measured in the 70s by the ILM guys and how we talk about them now...Lorne Perterson was correct in calling the larger ANH falcon a 4 footer if you realize he was referring the the width and not the length, they did the same thing when they talked about the smaller one built for ESB, calling it the 2 footer, clearly talking about the width as we have actual measures for that one and it is about 24 inches (23.4in) wide...you can even see them labeling the "32 inch" falcon as the 2 footer in this image...

10012651_809353185758661_1863961127_o.jpg

One of the best indicators for the scale is the size of the cockpit compared to the sets, which jives well with the 'official' measures given on the Wookieepedia site of 34.74m x 25.61m...so a scale of approximately 1/21 for the larger ANH falcon still holds true with it being 5 feet (64.5in) long x 4 feet (47.5in) wide...with a scale of about 1/43 for the smaller ESB falcon at 31.8in long x 23.4in wide...at least it all seems to make since to me ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back