Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

I have been waiting for this thread to breath life again and I thank you very much for your dedication. Watching your Youtube stream now and going to support your project. I can't wait to make the holster and get my hands dirty with leather working!

I don't have the time and leisure to follow streaming media. I do fully agree with jazkaat's post #223. I'd have preferred a pdf book like it was announced earlier. It just took too long, so meanwhile I have made my own ANH holster without it anyway, only by eyeballing and using some hints from the beginnings of this thread.

I have been waiting for this thread to breath life again and I thank you very much for your dedication. Watching your Youtube stream now and going to support your project. I can't wait to make the holster and get my hands dirty with leather working!

Thanks so much for your support. I hope you enjoy the videos as much as I am having fun making them (and sorting out all the technical issues). I think this will be fun, and I look forward to seeing all the holsters people make.

Last edited:
I don't have the time and leisure to follow streaming media. I do fully agree with jazkaat's post #223. I'd have preferred a pdf book like it was announced earlier. It just took too long, so meanwhile I have made my own ANH holster without it anyway, only by eyeballing and using some hints from the beginnings of this thread.

Like I responded to an earlier post. The streaming media is not a replacement for the book. It is an alternative to these forums. I can explain more in an hour of streaming media than I can here because it is much easier in person (on a live stream) than I can in long forum posts.

There will still be a PDF book in the end. The live streams/videos are an opportunity for everyone who is interested in this project to follow along, get involved, watch some of the process, pick up some hints and tips, and even support me financially if they think I am super awesome.

I am happy that you were able to make your own holster using some of the info here. I am sorry I wasn't able to get the book out in time for you to make your holster, but I am sure it turned out awesome. I would love to see some photos.

Just so you know, the live streams are saved on YouTube, so you can watch them at your convenience whenever you have time. I just did a stream yesterday regarding the Episode 4 Pouches, I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you have some time to watch it.

Last edited:
Smugglers Holster
v 1.0

Streaming, PDF Book, and Misconceptions!

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to make an official post about what is happening since there seems to be a bit of misunderstanding and/or animosity towards this new direction I am taking with this project.

To start. I want to be clear that there will still be a free PDF book of the pattern at the end of this project. That hasn't changed and won't.

The reasons why I have decided to take this into the realm of live streaming are:

1. It is more exciting for me

Live streaming has been something I have wanted to get into for some time. I have so many projects and ideas that I think would be really cool for people to see, and the idea of figuring out how to present them for everyone is really exciting to me.

Streaming has also been a challenge for me. I have had to overcome some self-consciousness, technical issues, and logistics. This has rejuvenated my passion for this project which admittedly in the middle of the nonsense I was dealing with before, felt more like a chore than a passion.

I am having fun with this project again, and when I am having fun, I get more and more into it.

2. It is more time efficient for me

When I started this project, I admittedly didn't have a lot going on. I had my own business which gave me with a lot of free time to do other things. Now, I have a healthy wife that finally was given legal status in my country and family, a crew position with Marine Search & Rescue, a new crew position with Air Search & Rescue, a PC repair business, and a graphic design business.

My time is much more constrained than it used to be. That means that I have to be a lot more efficient with my time. Streaming allows me to sit down and for an hour or so, get all the information to you guys that in the past would take way longer. If you look back a few pages, I had to write down all the information that I had gathered, along with photos and other media.

It took a long time. It also was only seen on this forum (and another), meaning that my reach was limited for getting new perspectives and information.

3. I want my passions to be my life

I love doing the projects that I do. As many of you know, I loved movies so much that I became a make-up FX artist the second I was old enough to move to the "Hollywood of the North". When that career came to an unfortunate end, I switched directions and became a graphic designer. For 15+ years I have made my living (granted the majority has been a starving artist living), doing art.

Like so many others, yourselves included, I have wanted my passions to be how I make a living. While I understand not everyone is fortunate enough to do that, I have finally gotten to a point in my life where I am stable enough to pursue some of the passions I have been putting on the back-burner for years.

As I mentioned, I have a PC repair business I started, but it isn't my passion. It is something I do to pay the bills. I'm not going to beat around the bush here, or try and sidestep my intentions. I feel I have a lot of amazing information and talents and I would like to try and figure out a way to make that a source of income, so I don't have to spend as much time cleaning cat hair out of keyboards.

To me, streaming and such is at least an opportunity for that to happen. If I work hard and try my best, maybe I might be so lucky to have gracious and amazing people who love my stuff and want to throw a little support my way. I will continue to do the projects I love regardless because ultimately I do them for myself, but I sure wouldn't complain if others gained enjoyment out of it and wanted to support me so they could see more.

I love the RPF. This place has been such an amazing resource for many of the projects I have wanted to do. It has also been a great source of inspiration and knowledge. I can understand how taking my information to another platform can be a bit annoying and even perhaps a bit of a slap in the face, but that is not my intention.

I won't abandon this place ever. I will share my progress and continue to make posts here, but the live streaming has given me a new energy and passion for all my projects. I love sharing them, I love the feedback, I love the opportunities to be creative and make things awesome.

My hopes are that this post has helped to explain things a bit. The support and understanding I have gotten from so many of you who have every right in the world to be skeptical and cranky at me has been amazing. This project has taken much longer than I had hoped as well, but I am determined to get it done, and hopefully encourage you guys to stick around for the many more projects that I have planned.

Thanks for your understanding, patience, and support!

Jeff

Last edited:
Yes, please post some pics.

I'm thrilled to hear this book is still forthcoming. But I'm not quite getting how live streaming (or you tube for that matter) gives us a chance to put our 2 cents in. it'll work, I suppose... I just don't see how.
In the mean time, how about we chew through it one movie & piece at a time. Like the front buckle (ANH)... do we have the dimensions to it? Length/ height? Edges?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, please post some pics.

I'm thrilled to hear this book is still forthcoming. But I'm not quite getting how live streaming (or you tube for that matter) gives us a chance to put our 2 cents in. it'll work, I suppose... I just don't see how.
In the mean time, how about we chew through it one movie & piece at a time. Like the front buckle (ANH)... do we have the dimensions to it? Length/ height? Edges?

On the "Creative" channel on Twitch, there are a lot of people who are creating various types of projects. From costumes, to art, to music they are all sitting there for hours on end, working away on their projects. What is really amazing is watching some of the more popular ones interact with their audience.

The other day I watched a girl create a costume for an upcoming convention. She was trying to replicate a mask from a video game in clay. Myself and about 20 others were in the live chat helping her. I was able to use my knowledge of mold making to point out potential issues in her sculpt. Others, more familiar with the game were able to give her pointers towards accuracy.

On YouTube (where these videos will be archived), there is an opportunity for people to leave comments on specific times in the video with thoughts, requests, concerns, or critiques. This is amazing for me, because I can go back and address them quickly in a live stream/video.

For example, in the last stream where I was discussing Episode 4 pouches, I was able to show you guys all my thoughts on them, and then quickly adjust the pattern. Having a few in chat providing confirmation or some food for thought, would be an amazing interaction that is much more dynamic than posting and waiting.

As for chewing through some pieces one at a time. You are of course free to do what you like, but in my experience with this project, that isn't a realistic way to figure these things out. What I mean is, I have the dimensions of the Episode 4 buckles completed. I am 99.9% sure I have them as accurate as possible. However, tomorrow I might get sent a photo that shows something I've never seen before, which would not only change the size of the buckles, but the hardware, the belt, the pouches, and so on.

In next weeks live stream, I am going to be working on the Episode 7 buckles, but I have some information that I learned from a professional metal worker that might change the patterns I have now.

I don't mean to sound like I am holding out on you guys or anything. I am more than happy releasing (I showed my entire pattern in the first live stream and my Episode 4 pouch patterns a few days ago in the live stream) the patterns right now if you want. The issue is that I would feel terrible if people went hog wild and started creating holsters only to have the pattern become more accurate in the end, making everyones holsters wrong.

That said, I am more than happy to listen to any thoughts you have on any part of any of the holsters.

I can completely understand your motives, and you made yourself very clear about that. I don't think there were any animosities against you, you have gathered and offered such a lot of info in this thread. I understand that live streaming can add to this, too, and everyone here will profit from the results in the end.

I am glad to hear (and I must admit that I misunderstood this at the first place) that there will be a pdf book in the end.

Not having the time to wait, I built my AHN Holster from Todd's costumes hardware, knowing that it is not 100% screen accurate, but at the moment close enough for me. I still haven't finished any of the pouches for two reasons. First, the belt leather is still going to get longer a bit by wearing, so it will be easier to shorten it without distorting the proportions before the pouches are atttached. Second, I am still thinking about a sturdy yet accurate-looking way to fasten the pouches to the belt. Thanks to you, Crazylegsmurphy, we know now that the ANH pouches were not sewn onto the belt, but maybe glued, and maybe all were made together in one piece. The way I will be probably going is constructing the pouches separately with a back part and riveting them to the belt.

I'll post pics of the belt in construction later.

Wait, we know the ANH pouches weren't sewn on? Which pouches? I'm fairly certain they were all sewn on. Even when it was discussed in this post (pages ago)... I believe it was confirmed they were stitched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you can. Watch the first 15 minutes or so of my last video. I go into detail about this.

The short version is that no pouches on the Episode 4 holster are sewn. There is no evidence that there were any sewing. All other holsters were sewn.

@ jazkaat: re-read post #52 onwards. The edges of the ANH pouches were not folded outward and sewn to the belt, but folded inward and fastened some other way, maybe just glued on the belt. The second discovery is that the pouches on the rh side were probably all made from one single piece of leather, although this is not general consensus, I believe.

ANH Holster Original.jpg

These are, in my opinion, two most relevant discoveries Crazylegsmurphy made in this thread. The ANH Holster is different from the others in more ways than was generally believed.
@Crazylegsmurphy: Having re-read post #52 myself, I had an idea about "the mysterious flying disc". What if the disc was fastened slightly off-center and was simply spinning around eccentrically on the belt? This might easily account for the different positions of the disc you noticed in the same scene.

Last edited:
@ jazkaat: re-read post #52 onwards. The edges of the ANH pouches were not folded outward and sewn to the belt, but folded inward and fastened some other way, maybe just glued on the belt. The second discovery is that the pouches on the rh side were probably all made from one single peace of leather, although this is not general consensus, I believe.

View attachment 726779

These are, in my opinion, two most relevant discoveries Crazylegsmurphy made in this thread. The ANH Holster is different from the others in more ways than was generally believed.
@Crazylegsmurphy: Having re-read post #52 myself, I had an idea about "the mysterious flying disc". What if the disc was fastened slightly off-center and was simply spinning around eccentrically on the belt? This might easily account for the different positions of the disc you noticed in the same scene.

That makes sense. It could have been installed off-centre. I had another thought though....it just ripped/stretched. I suspect that disk got bashed around a lot when sitting down, moving, running, etc. There is a chance on this holster it was knocked, causing the leather to rip or stretch, allowing the disk to droop a bit.

I can't see any indication on the screen used one that it was off-centre, however... there may have been a few versions of the holster and this one (perhaps a stunt one) wasn't built as well, or in worse shape.

Ok, I can get on that bandwagon. No stiches...
I've not seen this pic before, gives up the secret of the holster/buckle interface.
57bda5cad7d1dbf2b71c1703834dd3eb.jpg

After all, we still have not been able to find out how the ANH leather belt was fastened to the hook. Obviously there are no rivets (this is one of the main issues on Todd's hardware), and glueing alone certainly wouldn't stand the strain.

Just a reminder that I will be streaming today. I will be discussing Episode 7 buckles, but also addressing a few things brought up in the last few posts.

Check my Twitch or Youtube for times (3pm PDT)

see you there.

Hey.

I didn't know any other way to update everyone. I have missed the last two streams, both due to SAR calls. I am going to try and get a stream going tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Could it be that since the pouches are clearly folded from one piece, they are simply riveted in a few places on the inside? Sewing is less likely because you probably couldn't get a needle in there. Alternatively, is the edging on the leather pressed in? or is it a second layer of leather? In which case, if the pouches are sewn/riveted to that layer, and that layer is glued and riveted along to the second layer, the rivets of the pouches and the stitches would not be visible from the inside. I guess there are no images of the belt from the back/inside? that would solve a lot of mysteries.

Also if you still need 3D modellers, I'm ready to help. Just send me some technical drawings.

Sabs

Last edited:
As rivets seem to be the predominant fastening system on the ANH belt, it makes sense to assume that the pouches were riveted to the belt, too. Actually, that is the path I'll follow if I'll ever find the time to finish my own holster (It is still lacking the pouches just because I was not sure how to fasten them).

Could it be that since the pouches are clearly folded from one piece, they are simply riveted in a few places on the inside? Sewing is less likely because you probably couldn't get a needle in there. Alternatively, is the edging on the leather pressed in? or is it a second layer of leather? In which case, if the pouches are sewn/riveted to that layer, and that layer is glued and riveted along to the second layer, the rivets of the pouches and the stitches would not be visible from the inside. I guess there are no images of the belt from the back/inside? that would solve a lot of mysteries.

Also if you still need 3D modellers, I'm ready to help. Just send me some technical drawings.

Sabs

Hey.

I am back from vacation and will be addressing this and the post below in my next stream. I have some thoughts and photos to show.

Sabs, I'll PM you shortly about the 3D modelling.

Thanks!

I wanted to add, in the Star Wars Costumes book it says one of the challenges was to keep all fasteners hidden, or not use them when it came to clothing and costumes. Seemed to give the movie a more fantasy appeal, and I'm glad they did - even though I hadn't realized it until reading the book.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back