Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Hello.

Well here is how I see it. The back edge of the suppressor should be beveled or rounded a little bit, giving the U-shaped grooves that slight oval shape you see in the photos of the original. Take a look at this image that illustrates what I'm talking about.

MJCflashsuppressorsuggestion.jpg

This is a detail that has been missed on all the replicas I have seen, so it would be great to incorporate it into any new runs that take off from here. What do people think?

Keep up the great work, everybody.
Cheers,
MJC.

MJC,

I see what you mean, but I think it may be a trick of the photo. Where you are seeing the shadow create that curved oval feel. I may be wrong, but I am not entirely convinced of the oval.

I do have to say it is the first time I noticed that oval :) Nice find, even if it is a shadow :)

Looking at Moffeatons Picture I noticed a gap (see red lines):

gap.JPG

This makes me believe a few things, that it was either drilled out to accomadate the mausers larger barrel, it is from a larger caliber weapon (aircraft) or that is could be the fire extinguisher.

I am having a hard time with this as there is so many good arguments as to what it could be. At this point I am thinking it may come from a larger caliber weapon. Though, I dont know much about weapons :)

BTW, nice collage of pics.

Thanks. Yeah, some of the ANH enthusiasts have been making mods to their muzzles to mirror that gap in the back for a while now.

Guys - I freaking HELD IT IN MY HANDS and it was stamped metal. Crappy thin dinky-ass stamped metal.

I see why there appears to be an angled inward look to the opening of the U cut-outs, but Id like to suggest looking at some other angles....

....in some of the upright photos, the inward angling is far less pronounced and we might be seeing a combination of wear and tear, paint loss etc, odd lighting etc to account for some of this inward angle.

....but these would have been made before the age of CNC....so if machined, punched etc by machines that were not perfect (nor run by a human that was not perfect) this may account for some imperfect details as you rotate the piece.

I tried pointing out a few thoughts here:

Note the slightly sunken band "line" at the base of the cone. It appears as though the cone rises up a hair at its base and proceeds outward/upward from there.

Note some of fluted lines are different lengths: wear/tear or imperfect machining?

Note that the back opening with the U shaped cut outs is very thin.

hiders_op_704x800.jpg

decades ....10, 20, 30, 40, 50.....70, 80 years....not that far

and the application of CNC for something as simple as a fire hose, if thats indeed what this thing is (I am not convinced either way)

In my opinion this thing has to be a flash hider, it only make sense. Why the grooves? It would not make any sense to have the grooves if it were part of a fire extinguisher, If it was a flash hider these groves would be for the twisting action of removal. check out a pick of a similar flash hider here:

XG2604.jpg

If this from an extinguisher why would it rust or corrode? That is what confuses me. If this is meant to disperse water, wouldnÂ’t it have been made from a property that would withstand the corrosion? Though I am not familiar with alloys and metals I could obviously be wrong about it rusting.

While the history of CNC machining is important, it has apparently been established that CNC machining has been around since the 1940's and that this may or may have not been machined or stamped. I hope that we can try and keep on target and respect everyones opinions.

Moffeaton, do you happen to have any more pics of what you held?

_________________________________________________________________-

If this from an extinguisher why would it rust or corrode? That is what confuses me. If this is meant to disperse water, wouldnÂ’t it have been made from a property that would withstand the corrosion? Though I am not familiar with alloys and metals I could obviously be wrong about it rusting.

EXCELLANT EXCELLANT point. It would have been bronze or a copper alloy that would not exhibit that type corrosion.

I should know...I own several bronze age, Roman, and Medieval, javelin tips, buckles, and I own a piece of a Roman soldiers armor.....the only piece that shows the type of corrosion as the JR nozzle is my Roman soliders armor which is iron.

Now its true that bronze or a copper allow will corrode but not in the way the nozzle is ....it looks like rust.

whatever.

Keep banging your heads.

--yeah thats helpful.

While the history of CNC machining is important, it has apparently been established that CNC machining has been around since the 1940's and that this may or may have not been machined or stamped. I hope that we can try and keep on target and respect everyones opinions.

Well I am suggesting that the application of a fire piece as made by CNC seem less likely at that time....a CNC gun piece is a higher priority piece that something that just sprays water or some fire retardant. War items tend to take manufactoring priority and tend to exhibit higher technological traits.

You can see the T-track and antenna bits here. The Merr Sonn was a cast of the Han Hero. Of course, some of you nutballs will swear it's not there, but for what it's worth:

anh.jpg

You can see the T-track and antenna bits here. The Merr Sonn was a cast of the Han Hero. Of course, some of you nutballs will swear it's not there, but for what it's worth:

So fire extinguishers of some 30 or more odd years ago had T tracks and antennas? ;)

I presume the addition of these parts kept the wider internal diameter of the flash hider from wobbling over a smaller tube??

-Fellow nutball

No you mountain-of-a-man-know-it-all-historical-expert-man-about-town - it's on the bull barrel. LOOK AT THE PICTURE.

Jeez.

"I presume the addition of these parts kept the wider internal diameter of the flash hider from wobbling over a smaller tube??"

Ah, you edited your post with that. Yeah, that makes sense.

Looks like grip material AND front sight 'antennae'. I always thought that was the case, just like the Merr Sonn bull barrel :)

And I've never seen such a clearer photo of the front grill either. I now see how its constructed :eek

Jason, thanks for posting such an awesome photo.

Marcus

I'm not too sure on the dimensions but you can see the flash hider for sale here and for a good price :)

Also I did up a quick drawing to show my reasonig why this is more likely to be a flash hider
demonstration15tc.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back