Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

Thanks for the info Steve. Would you happen to have a picture of one of his later ones?

I am curious as to the progression now.

Also, thanks to all that chimed in and helped me sort this out.

Originally posted by DL 44 Blaster@Sep 20 2005, 08:56 PM
That hider is a VERY early BD one...when he had some plans made up of his own. Once "Active Projects" really were abundant and this part was studied and blueprinted to death the level of accuracy came WAY up to his last version which is the most abundant.

Steve
[snapback]1080618[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Barry@Sep 21 2005, 01:56 AM
The owner of the original ANH Solo Blaster informed me that the tip was not from an extinguisher but is in fact the flash hider from a WW2 aircraft gun...

---
I have gone through a great deal of pics of flash suppressors, and there are a few that look close but not close enough. The MG-34, MG-17 and MG-FF for instance.

Originally posted by Durasteel Corporation@Sep 21 2005, 01:01 AM
The owner of the original ANH Solo Blaster informed me that the tip was not from an extinguisher but is in fact the flash hider from a WW2 aircraft gun

that is actually a damn strong possibility. Ive never seen an extinguisher with that shape.
[snapback]1080623[/snapback]​

Drew - Go look at the pic on PoSW and you will.

Jason Joiner says many things without backing them up. He also said the radial cylinder on the Leia blaster and other props was a plumbing adaptor but offered nothing to back it up except to say that he had seen one before.
I know Jason told me he was looking for one and claimed to have located one and that he would have it soon. To me it sounds like his original prop is missing the piece (like MOST of the blasters he has) and he's trying to rebuild it. Unless he shows it off on display or in pics I don't believe it.
Remember the Stormtrooper blaster that was up for auction? None of the add on parts were on the Sterling when he got it.

Jeff Ritzman had a physical piece in hand, shared pics and let Jason examine it. I consider the piece found.

Running The Parts of Star Wars I've received tons of e-mails over the years saying this or that part is one of these etc. 99% of the time it's not. The same thing happens here on the RPF all the time too.

I know the picture Chris but where is the proof that its from an extinguisher?

Im not questioning anything other than why its believed its an extinguisher....are there any pictures showing it on a hose?

much appreciated.

D

Jeff still has it, as far as I know. He dropped off the boards a few years ago.
No, he didn't have it physically attached to a notarized fire extinguisher, lol. I just believed the guy.

You should start investigating and try to find the same part - fortune and glory, brotha. Then we can all take turns asking for your proof ;)

You should start investigating and try to find the same part - fortune and glory, brotha. Then we can all take turns asking for your proof ;)
[right

seems like thats what this thread if for.....brotha mythbusta :)

but seriously, I mean, people have banked on what they think is something and there turns out to be scant proof.....so you might believe so and so..fine....but wait a minute, how is heresay (which is exactly what your telling us to bank on) really proof for those of us who dont know Jeff beyond a rusted piece of metal, a claim and a citation of ownership???

Dont get ruffled just because Im asking for the who, what, when, where and why.

Isnt that the POINT of this thread J..... ;)

point of the thread is to actually acquire one and find someone to make the dang thing again. Is there anyway we could get measurements from the original and have someone (ahem- BD) make a run of them- I would be in for two.

point of the thread is to actually acquire one and find someone to make the dang thing again. Is there anyway we could get measurements from the original and have someone (ahem- BD) make a run of them- I would be in for two.

well thats a great point too. :D

However we gotta know what to look for....model number, use, etc.

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

While everybody recognizes that J.R. found the only known surviving dispersion nozzle, Drew is correct in pointing out that we only have his word on its origins. I distinctly recall Jeff making lots of waves about having discovered the way the Hero ANH Han blaster's vertical and horizontal scope brackets attach together, and even made an impressive 3D animation of it, but he was later proven wrong. So I take his nozzle claim with a grain of salt and to date have found no known fire extinguisher that sports such a nozzle. It could not have possibly been that rare, since vintage fire extinguishers in pristine condition are offered on eBay every day in the US and UK. I've also always found it odd that a fire extinguisher nozzle would be gun-blued... Check out the hero:

hero_suppressor.JPG

Notice that there's no front sight on the bull barrel the way MR inexplicably designed their replica. I'm still scratching my head over that one... And the bull barrel is off-center (an illusion, as the bore is lined up with the breach, but the thicker barrel wall rides over the top where the original barrel was colinear). It's also chamfered in 3 places on top where it mates to the Mauser upper body, unlike many replicas where it's concentric to the original barrel with no chamfer.

That being said, it would be nice to have a more robust replica of the nozzle/suppressor, and I've come up with a 3D model of one that could be CNC machined. I apologize in advance for the false perspective:

suppressor1.jpg

suppressor2.jpg

The model isn't finished yet - the knurling is missing from the cylinder, but you get the general idea. Also, there are threaded holes on the top and bottom of the cylinder for a 4-40 hex-head screw and a hole in the back to fit over a cut off Denix Mauser barrel. I could also add a bull barrel extension, but in the hero blaster the suppressor was off-center, so purists might object to a concentric barrel and prefer to fabricate their own. ;)

I welcome criticism and suggestions. If there's enough demand, I could get a run going with one of the RPF's resident machinists or through one of my sources. Please don't PM me - post here if you're interested and after a few days we'll tally up the numbers and go from there.

- Gabe

Those Bapty pics were taken before the "sight" and "antennas" were glued on, I believe. LonePigeon will know.

Originally posted by moffeaton@Sep 21 2005, 07:06 AM
Those Bapty pics were taken before the "sight" and "antennas" were glued on, I believe. LonePigeon will know.
[snapback]1080841[/snapback]​

This is the first I have heard of this, what are you referring to by the "sight" and "antennas". I am quite curious as I am new to the blaster area of star wars.

BTW, Gabe, nice rendering :)))

Originally posted by Darth Lars+Sep 21 2005, 02:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Lars @ Sep 21 2005, 02:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Barry
@Sep 21 2005, 01:56 AM
The owner of the original ANH Solo Blaster informed me that the tip was not from an extinguisher but is in fact the flash hider from a WW2 aircraft gun...

---
I have gone through a great deal of pics of flash suppressors, and there are a few that look close but not close enough. The MG-34, MG-17 and MG-FF for instance.
[snapback]1080686[/snapback]​
[/b]

I think it looks like a flash hider from a WWI biplane machine gun. Like this Spandau:

mm_spandau004.jpg

I know that's not it, but maybe from a different gun. Of course I'm just guessing here, but it looks more like a real gun part than an extinguisher nozzle. Especially since it appears to be blued.

But then again, the corrosion Moffeaton mentions suggests something other than steel.
Like maybe magnesium. Which would make more sense for an extinguisher nozzle than a machine gun...

Crap, back to square one again...

There was a thread not too long ago where this came up - but I can't find it.
There was a pic of a Japanese machine gun and the hider looked VERY close.
Anyone remember that thread?

Howard.

Guys, thoroughness and questioning is good, but it's also a waste of time to reinvent the wheel. This was hashed out years ago, and if what Jeff found wasn't it, then it's 1000% identical to the "WWII suppressor".

It's a fire extinguisher head. He talked with an old timer who had a fire supply shop. Pulled a box full of the things out of storage for him. They were all hopelessly rusted and fused together in a big oxydized mess. The one pictured on POSW was the best of the lot.

It's found! Let's put research energies into other mysteries, hmm? :)

EDIT IN 2011:
Well, I was obviously wrong about the need to continue the search. ;)

Last edited:
He's refering to these pieces as shown here on my Merr Sonn:

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/merr_sonn8.jpg[/image]
[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/merr_sonn9.jpg[/image]

Yes that's saber/E-11 grip material on the bull barrel. Its posisble this grip material was originally present on the Han ANH Hero. There are no clear photos of the completed blaster - why do you think MR screwed up their front sight? They misinterpreted the bad photo. They were probably looking at one of these 'antenna' piecei.

Originally posted by amish+Sep 21 2005, 01:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(amish @ Sep 21 2005, 01:22 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-moffeaton
@Sep 21 2005, 07:06 AM
[snapback]1080841[/snapback]​

This is the first I have heard of this, what are you referring to by the "sight" and "antennas". I am quite curious as I am new to the blaster area of star wars.

BTW, Gabe, nice rendering :)))
[snapback]1080894[/snapback]​
[/b]

The drawings of the muzzle look good, but IMO the U-shaped grooves on the hero blaster are ...

- not as deep as yours
- plus, if you look closely, they seem to form more of an OVAL shape instead of a clean U with straight lines torwards the rear end. Know what I mean?

Markus

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back