Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

footloose.jpg

The success of this movie is astounding. I wonder how it's strength will relate to Captain America 3 and Batman v Superman?

How'd your second view go JD?, I'm going again tonight

Marvel are Marvelous at the minute, cant wait to get The Winter Soldier on BD

J

Have seen it twice in IMAX 3D now, and it was even more enjoyable on the second viewing. Most fun I have had at the movies in a long time. Between my preorder of the Hot Toys, and today's Teefury shirt Marvel is making bank from me.

How'd your second view go JD?, I'm going again tonight

Marvel are Marvelous at the minute, cant wait to get The Winter Soldier on BD

J
I still like it... but, as I mentioned before - it's just a little too fast paced with too much all at once. I did notice that Zoe Saldana's acting wasn't that great in this one (or if that inflection was done on purpose, it was terrible). The movie is so dense and fast (and good) another viewing is warranted.

I find it hard to rank this with the other Marvel films. I think all of Marvel films (outside of the IM sequels, perhaps) have been very, very solid and really good (if not great)... I think the Thor and Cap sequels are better than most give them credit for (ironically, the first films in those franchises - by established directors, seemed a bit tv-ish in their look... but, their sequels looked outstanding). The drawback to GotG is its knee jerk pace and it's lack of depth... and it's not about well known characters come to life for me; so, it's a different kind of movie for me.

I'll get flak for this, but I really wish folks here would try to understand my reasoning on why the cussing seemed so out of place (and took me out of this movie). I just don't think it fits in with the other Marvel movies because of it. I think it's lazy film making and a cheap joke. (Yes, I know it was PG-13, my reckoning is based on the previous movies in this series).

BTW - I'm not sure that a young Peter Quill would be all that familiar with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I think they were still pretty underground at the time he left Earth. But, it is certainly possible that while with the Ravagers they may've intercepted some Terran television for him to watch.

Bring on Ultron.

Last edited:
I'll get flak for this, but I really wish folks here would try to understand my reasoning on why the cussing seemed so out of place (and took me out of this movie). I just don't think it fits in with the other Marvel movies because of it. I think it's lazy film making and a cheap joke. (Yes, I know it was PG-13, my reckoning is based on the previous movies in this series).

I totally hear you on that. I personally don't think bad language enhances a film any. You look at Star Wars that has had zero nasty language and held up just fine. Sometimes I think films will try to overdo the bad language to get an R rating (or PG-13 if they fear PG won't bring in the teenager crowd or something).

For me, I don't think the use of language was overdone. Could other words have been used instead? Sure. When I look at Rocket, the dude's been through some stuff. Her certainly doesn't care what people think of him or what he says. For what he did say I was fine with it. That's him and he's just a really rough around the edges type of character.

I guess what it comes down to is do you think it's just relentlessly getting dropped left and right and being done irresponsibly? Sometimes certain situations and how people treat you can change the way you communicate or form a reply. It's hard to argue and defend the use of language when here I said in the beginning of my post that it's unnecessary and different words could be used, but films have different colors and tones in characters and the situations they get in. Some language may be warranted given the circumstances and the type of personality they may have, and yes, it's up to the writer to determine that ultimately.

There's been plenty of movies where the F bomb and S word have been said so many times that it's novelty just wears off and they become really stupid to keep saying.

In this one particular film though, I just wasn't very bothered by it at all.

It's a pretty complex discussion and there's just a lot of factors to take in when and where to use language. I would say for a group of criminals these guys did a pretty good job at refraining from saying a lot of things that could have been really bad, hahaha!

...I don't have a problem with swearing in a film when it is appropriate (Tarantino and Smith would be out of jobs). Again, my issue was with this being a Marvel Movie and the movies prior to this weren't as blatant in their choice of words (sure, there probably was a curse word here and there - but, not like this one). This isn't about criminals or what-have-you (there are plenty of movies where you don't hear anything as harsh as a "darn" with criminals), this is about it being part of series of movies flying the Marvel Movie Universe flag and this not quite fitting under that banner because of it.

I wasn't bothered with on a personal level, I'm not a prude. I was bothered because there are plenty of kids who saw Cap and/or Thor and/or the Avengers and weren't subject to that - and you kinda expect to go into this one with the same expectations. Again, I realize it's PG-13... my issue is that this is pretty much a change in direction for this series. I'm also pretty grounded in the real world and realize that this isn't the first or last time these kids will hear that language... but, with these movies you expect a bit of a respite from that kinda thing.

...and the d*** joke towards the end of the movie was just a cheap joke that's been done before (and better).

And that's all I got to say about. I don't want to beat this subject to death (not that it hasn't already), I think I've said everything I can on the matter.

I guess it all depends on whether you see these as kids films or not. If they are going to keep to their 20 year plan, the kids you are taking now will be taking their kids to see the last few, but the people that are adults now, they are still going to be adults in 20 years, (if we're still around).

I always appreciate it when a film caters for adults and children.

I'm not a fan of swearing either. But when it comes down to it, this is a more child friendly film than the Transformers films. I was honestly surprised that a lot of the more "showy" shots of Gamora undressed and getting dressed were not in the film.

I'm not a fan of swearing either. But when it comes down to it, this is a more child friendly film than the Transformers films. I was honestly surprised that a lot of the more "showy" shots of Gamora undressed and getting dressed were not in the film.

Yeah, I wondered what happened to that too.
Though many times we see something in trailers that get's yanked.
I still remember C3P0 yanking that warning sign of the room with the Wampa beasts.
Was it a kid friendly edit or was it a story edit?

Loved it the first time in IMAX 3D last Thursday and I'm going back for a 2D showing tomorrow night.
Congratulations to the cast and crew of such a great film.

Was it a kid friendly edit or was it a story edit?

I'd say it was a "decency" edit. Of all the characters in the film, Gamora was pretty much trapped as being the least interesting character of the bunch. Her struggle is the tiresome "daddy issues" cliché, she can't really do anything without Starlord's help while at the same time being the butt of every one of his jokes, and her big battle in the end was nothing more than a chick fight while on her way to smash some green thing so the good guy can do the awesome job of finishing off the bad guy. Leaving all of those revealing shots would have reduced her as the "eye-candy" character, and being the sole female member of the group, well, that's kind of sad. Still, I was happy to see those scenes go.

But I will say this though on the language. Drax calling Gamora a ***** was the biggest problem I had with the film. I know Drax wasn't all there in the head, but to use the term so lightly on someone you call "your friend" is not the kind of thing I would want to laugh at. It's like saying it's ok to call your female friend a ***** in front of everyone as long as you're 'friends'.

But I will say this though on the language. Drax calling Gamora a ***** was the biggest problem I had with the film. I know Drax wasn't all there in the head, but to use the term so lightly on someone you call "your friend" is not the kind of thing I would want to laugh at. It's like saying it's ok to call your female friend a ***** in front of everyone as long as you're 'friends'.

I disagree, I saw it as a character kind of thing. Remember, his people are very literal and I don't see them, or Drax, as being the type to get into the whole PC thing or phrase things more politely just to save someone's feelings You also have to remember that at that point in the movie they still really aren't friends yet, allies, yes, friends, no; it wasn't until towards the end of the movie that Drax accepted the GoG crew as more than just allies of convenience and as friends.

I'd say it was a "decency" edit. Of all the characters in the film, Gamora was pretty much trapped as being the least interesting character of the bunch. Her struggle is the tiresome "daddy issues" cliché, she can't really do anything without Starlord's help while at the same time being the butt of every one of his jokes, and her big battle in the end was nothing more than a chick fight while on her way to smash some green thing so the good guy can do the awesome job of finishing off the bad guy. Leaving all of those revealing shots would have reduced her as the "eye-candy" character, and being the sole female member of the group, well, that's kind of sad. Still, I was happy to see those scenes go.

Well, I've easily heard friends call each other far worse during the usual ball busting type conversations. So I think they went for that angle on the relationship. Maybe they went too far, but far preferred over Saturday morning Superfriends. Drax wasn't cutting anyone any slack regardless.

That's a cheap shot that misses the mark. Superman didn't have the benefit of a team of pilots who could deal with the big bad while he handled crowd control. He could either focus on stopping Zod or witness total annihilation - including all those civilians he apparently isn't saving.

You don't have to make up reasons to dislike Man of Steel. There are other legitimate criticisms to discuss.

That's a cheap shot that misses the mark. Superman didn't have the benefit of a team of pilots who could deal with the big bad while he handled crowd control. He could either focus on stopping Zod or witness total annihilation - including all those civilians he apparently isn't saving.

You don't have to make up reasons to dislike Man of Steel. There are other legitimate criticisms to discuss.
I disagree - I think it's a very legitimate gripe with Man of Steel. Superman did little, if anything to get move the action away from bystanders - that's not a very Superman-like thing to do.

...yet, an outlaw, criminal, cybernetic raccoon does manage to try and stop destruction of a planet.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back