Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

Why do we never question the logic of say, Bugs Bunny cartoons the way we question the logic of these movies? Pretty much anything can be picked apart so that it makes no sense.

That reminds me of the quotes by Grant Morrison.

"A child knows that real crabs on the beach do not sing and talk like the cartoon crabs in The Little Mermaid. A child can accept all kinds of weird-looking creatures and bizarre occurrences in a story because the child understands that stories have different rules that allow for pretty much anything to happen.

Adults, on the other hand, struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform with the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it’s not real."

And there is the following quote along the same lines.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11112/111125721/3328775-grant-morrison.jpg

I imagine both the walkman and the tape itself was coated with something space techie, that protects it against pretty much anything, the same stuff those travel pods were made of that made them able to crash through other ships unharmed, and probably why Pete's other tape deck survived the crash too.

I think Yondu probably fetched Peter the other tape deck when he was given his own ship, like a right of passage.

Why do we never question the logic of say, Bugs Bunny cartoons the way we question the logic of these movies? Pretty much anything can be picked apart so that it makes no sense.

Because they are cartoons. When you add a "reality" aspect, meaning the fact it is based more on a potential "realistic" senario, you tend to do so.

Kevin Gossett said:
Have you ever used a Walkman in space? No? Me neither. Maybe the rules are different there

Could be, but wrap your mind around another Marvel movie that has a walkman involved. Xmen Days of Futures Past, where Quicksilver puts on his headphones and runs around the room. Why is it that the music is playing in "normal time" for him? His mutant power theoretically would only apply to him, the walkman he has should not have his power apply to it.

Why is it that the music is playing in "normal time" for him? His mutant power theoretically would only apply to him, the walkman he has should not have his power apply to it.

Well I guess that would depend on whether or not the theory of relativity was involved. The Walkman was traveling just as fast as Quicksilver and therefore shares the same time frame as him. But at that speed, wouldn't the electrons carrying the music signal be affected? Oh, dear what can of worms did I open now? Paging Dr. Hawking... Dr. Hawking?

I'm fine with everything in GotG really.

Now, the last Iron Man on the other hand, with the wafer-thin armor plates that all have their own propulsion system... developed on Earth... with (more or less) near-future Earth technology... riiiiiight. Or The Hulk's jeans... eh... the hell with it I'm fine with those too.

That reminds me of the quotes by Grant Morrison.

"A child knows that real crabs on the beach do not sing and talk like the cartoon crabs in The Little Mermaid. A child can accept all kinds of weird-looking creatures and bizarre occurrences in a story because the child understands that stories have different rules that allow for pretty much anything to happen.

Adults, on the other hand, struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform with the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it’s not real."

And there is the following quote along the same lines.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/11112/111125721/3328775-grant-morrison.jpg

I put a portion of the blame for the current attitude on Mythbusters.

A perfect example is the Star Wars special which aired last night (at the end of the holiday marathon). They were testing the scene from ANH when Luke and Leia swing across the gap with a grappling hook to escape the Stormtroopers. They claimed the scene was plausible noting that it could be done but it's unlikely because Luke made the throw in one shot and it took them over fifty throws. This reasoning completely overlooks the reason that Luke made the throw in one shot was because he was strong with the Force whereas Jamie Hyneman lacks even the slightest bit of Force sensitivity.

A perfect example is the Star Wars special which aired last night (at the end of the holiday marathon). They were testing the scene from ANH when Luke and Leia swing across the gap with a grappling hook to escape the Stormtroopers. They claimed the scene was plausible noting that it could be done but it's unlikely because Luke made the throw in one shot and it took them over fifty throws. This reasoning completely overlooks the reason that Luke made the throw in one shot was because he was strong with the Force whereas Jamie Hyneman lacks even the slightest bit of Force sensitivity.

Or Kirk's improvised bamboo cannon, clearly the alien bamboo was much stronger than earth bamboo. They failed to factor this in.

Last edited:

Or that Luke carries around a grappling hook because he's really good at throwing one.

It was part of the carried gear on the Stormtrooper whose gear he put on. :p

ghookshot_zps7bd1a97a.jpg

--Jonah

Lucky Luke realised he even had a grappling hook in that stormtrooper gear, none of the STs seem to remember that.

Or figure out if you can only see the other guys feet, then shoot the feet.

Was that grappling hook belt ever seen on another stormtrooper again?
Lucky Luke got the one trooper setup with the hook!

Exactly, Hydra needs to learn this lesson too. If a group of you are in a fire fight with Captain America, one should be shooting at his ankles/knees while he is blocking the head/chest shots with his shield.

Can't say I blame them for not getting down on the floor. Have you ever tried to lay down in TK armor? It's cuts into places... gets all out of alignment... then it's all shiny and slippery when you try to get up off that polished Death Star floor.

At least one other had the grappling hook. I need to go back and check where. I just want to know what Stormtroopers use them for...

--Jonah

Sandtroopers need 'em to wrangle Dewbacks and space-based TKs need 'em to wrangle uppity mouse droids.

At least Peter Quill has his spiffy boot rockets!

I've found this video series called Cinema Sins. Basically, it's often off about some of the so called "flaws" because its like the guy didn't pay attention some of the time, but some of the stuff he does point out and the way he does it is rather funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back