Guardians of the Galaxy (Post-release)

Just picked mine up! :thumbsup

20141209_112318.jpg

20141209_112330.jpg

20141209_112340.jpg

James Gunn:

https://james-gunn-guardians-screening.eventbrite.com/

"This upcoming Wednesday, December 17, at 7 pm, there will be a SPECIAL FREE SCREENING of Guardians of the Galaxy at the Los Angeles Film School followed by an intimate Q&A with me and Jeff Goldsmith of Backstory.

Tickets are extremely limited, BUT the organizers have reserved some tickets for my Facebook Fans. If you follow the link below you can reserve yourself ONE TICKET. If the REGISTER button is gone it means all the tickets have already been given out; so if you want to go, then do it right now!

If you're confirmed as having a ticket, you can skip the line, check in as a James Gunn fan and sit in a taped off section - but ONLY if you are seated by 6:40 p.m.

Sorry I don't have room for all of you, and if you're seeing this post too late. But if you get to this link quickly enough I'll see you there!"

It was alright, though not as good as the other Marvel movies. I thought the music was awful though. I was surprised that they pulled off the racoon because I thought, without knowing about the property, that it would be totally dumb. It made sense though and he was probably the best character (we need his eye... :lol).

I'm miserable.

I ordered the steelbook from BestBuy and it still hasn't arrived.
UPS says they left it with USPS on 12/9. USPS says it's "pre-delivery" which means they haven't received it.
After 45 min on the phone with BestBuy, UPS and USPS the best scenario is that it's delayed due to the holidays and bad weather (and USPS records have lagged). Worst possible case is that it's lost forever.

I'm miserable.

Yeah UPS/Amazon messed up my preorder too. I think it's still on a truck somewhere event though it was supposed to arrive on tuesday. I ended up going to Target to buy one. Complained to amazon and got a free month of prime.

Yeah UPS/Amazon messed up my preorder too. I think it's still on a truck somewhere event though it was supposed to arrive on tuesday. I ended up going to Target to buy one. Complained to amazon and got a free month of prime.
Unfortunately I ordered the limited Steelbook so reordering wasn't an option.

I opted for store pick up on mine.
The funny thing is that I did exactly that with the Steelbook Winter Soldier but, when I showed up, some goof at the store had put aside a non-Steelbook for me.
I thought I was playing it smart this time. *sigh*

Last edited:
Finally got to see it. Gotta admit it's a pretty damn good film, though personally I would not say it is Marvel's "best movie ever". For me Avengers and the first Iron Man still hold that mark. However, it was really really good, definitely gonna watch it a time or two more before it goes on the shelf.

As for the soundtrack, I really don't see what the big deal is. I've heard all these songs in countless movies already. Considering he was abducted in 1988 I was expecting more 80s rock instead of golden oldies. Other than Cherry Bomb there's not a hard rock song in the bunch, but considering it was his Mom that made the tape I guess it was expected to be more softer music. But that's just my personal preference, nothing wrong with any of the songs-- except the Pina Colata song--that song should be wiped from existence and never spoken of again.

Finally got to see it. Gotta admit it's a pretty damn good film, though personally I would not say it is Marvel's "best movie ever". For me Avengers and the first Iron Man still hold that mark. However, it was really really good, definitely gonna watch it a time or two more before it goes on the shelf.

As for the soundtrack, I really don't see what the big deal is. I've heard all these songs in countless movies already. Considering he was abducted in 1988 I was expecting more 80s rock instead of golden oldies. Other than Cherry Bomb there's not a hard rock song in the bunch, but considering it was his Mom that made the tape I guess it was expected to be more softer music. But that's just my personal preference, nothing wrong with any of the songs-- except the Pina Colata song--that song should be wiped from existence and never spoken of again.

I wasn't too interested in the old songs either being old enough myself to remember some of them when new, so it wasn't some revelation of oldies for me.
I could take them or leave them, I think plenty of other songs could have been used to equal popularity. I think it helped set GOTG apart though given
the kind of film it is. I was more interested in the orchestral score which I think is getting overlooked.

The big deal wasn't that these were some rare gems of tracks. But the fact that a modern big budget studio film that too a superhero one chose to go entirely classic with their soundtrack collection.

Doesn't matter if our prior generation have heard most of the tracks countless times, it introduced these classic tracks to a whole new generation who otherwise won't hear them in regular movies. Yes, other films use it with one or two classic tracks mixed with other modern tracks, but usually not all classic all the way.

Just saw it for the third time and still love it!

With each viewing I find more holes to poke in it, though. (doesn't stop me from loving it, but here goes anyway):

Drax mentions their having traveled "halfway across the quadrant". A short time later Zamora says they'd traveled "halfway around the galaxy". Which is it? Still later, Rocket wants to travel to "the other end of the universe" to get away from Ronan. Colorful metaphors, I suppose....maybe I'm from Drax's planet. ;)

No one knows the orb contains an infinity stone (except probably Thanos) until the Collector tells our guys. Then, suddenly, the next time we see Ronan and Yondo, both of them know. How did they find out? They read the script? Maaaaybe the Broker knew and told Yondo, but Ronan....

Handy that the Collector has a bunch of visual aids ready to go to tell the story about the stone. ;)

If all Ronan needs to do is let it touch the surface of Xandar, why bother with an assault on their most heavily defended city? Just drop it anywhere on the planet.

Ronan orders his fighters to kamikaze and they all zip straight down. Somehow Rocket and a bunch of Ravagers make it to the surface ahead of most of them. By the time they were able to set up their Space Invaders arrangement, all of the Kree fighters would've already impacted. And what was the point of such an order anyway? So they get to knock down a few buildings before DESTROYING THE PLANET.

(already discussed Zamora shooting up through the floor earlier in thread)

Peter's mom knew her cassette tapes. She even had the second tape cued up past the leader for him. :)

The cassette player on the DVD/BD menu is rotating the wrong way. ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back