Goliath from Gargoyles costume W.I.P

I really liked the show growing up, so I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

On the muscle debate, I believe that one of the main reasons Goliath, or any of the other gargoyles, didn't have any definition was that drawing that kind of detail would shoot the budget through the roof. I remember some making-of commentary on Disney's animated Tarzan movie, and what they pointed out was that Tarzan was a huge deal and still is, because he has muscle definition, and spends the majority of his time in a loincloth. Animating defined muscle well ranges from a huge hassle to impossible, depending on your budget. It's likely that they just took the easy route and made them less featured to spare expenses. It might also have helped to get what was basically permanently nude people past censors.

In the case of the muscle suit, you could cut back some on the bulk of the biceps and triceps and add some more to the core. The white walls behind you could be camouflaging the sides, but it looks like you have a rather thin waist at the moment.
Lowering the deltoids a bit could also work, as you seem to be getting "crowded" from the sides, allowing too little neck to show. Higher shoulders also take away from how broad you become, and in body language it signals tension and anxiety. Goliath's shoulders sits further down, implying he's collected and calm. Just an idea on how to get the silhouette.

I'd also like to see what it looks like from behind. All the gargoyles hold their legs horizontal when they fly. This means that they need ridiculous strength in their lower backs, especially since they don't seem strained at all and have huge, powerful legs.
On the feet; right now they look a little "boxy". His feet tappers backwards, so trimming off the sides towards the heel if possible could get you the look.

Are you planning on filling in the "valleys" in the pectorals, or have them like this? If you're going for a supercharged human physique, that kind of definition is very rare, and might even look strange if the rest of the body is less defined. The chest is an area where both bodybuilders and strongmen alike seem rather smooth, bar the valley down the center (which Goliath does lack as well)

Keep in mind that I have never built a bodysuit, and look at this through a lens of sculpture study, so what works might not transfer over. Grain of salt and all that.
Also, it's your suit, so you do what you feel is right.

As a last addition, I managed to find a series of closeups on one of the figurines of Goliath. It has some more detail to it, so maybe you can use it for inspiration.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29246775@N04/sets/72157622359069991/show/

I will be filling in the "valleys" of the muscles. I'm not sure how else to change the feet up, because of the stilt design they are currently limited to the boxy shape. I could make it seem like they taper, I would just have to widen out the toe area. I am just concerned that If I do that then they might seem a little too bulky. The back is slightly defined, just not as much as the front thats for sure. I figured since there would be a pair of wings covering the back for most the time then I wouldn't spend so much effort on back muscles. In either case the upper back is most defined, and the lower back is not as defined.

I definately am considering trimming down the biceps and triceps, Ill know better when I get my hands sculpted. I know it looks a little crowded around the armpit area, but it really isn't. There is an extreme amount of flexibility in this suit, just as much as if I wasn't wearing a suit at all. But shaping the biceps a little better is definitely on the to do list.

I loved this show growing up. You are doing a great job. I was wondering if you know of a good in depth tutorial, for a noob like myself, on builing good muscle suits? I am thinking of doing a Hulk costume but have no experience in this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Again great job so far, I cannot wait to see the final product!

There aren't really any step-by-step tutorials for the entire suit. If I were you I would check out RPF're Mikefu http://www.therpf.com/f78/venom-costume-build-202626/ http://www.therpf.com/f78/carnage-costume-wip-muscle-suit-pics-vids-199293/ . He does fantastic work with much better quality than I can muster up at the moment. And just search around The RPF for muscle suits and such. This is my first suit so all if it has been trial and error. One thing I would say is mandatory when working with foam is getting an electric turkey carver. I found one at a thrift shop for $5 and it has saved me about $50 in razors so far.

There aren't really any step-by-step tutorials for the entire suit. If I were you I would check out RPF're Mikefu http://www.therpf.com/f78/venom-costume-build-202626/ http://www.therpf.com/f78/carnage-costume-wip-muscle-suit-pics-vids-199293/ . He does fantastic work with much better quality than I can muster up at the moment. And just search around The RPF for muscle suits and such. This is my first suit so all if it has been trial and error. One thing I would say is mandatory when working with foam is getting an electric turkey carver. I found one at a thrift shop for $5 and it has saved me about $50 in razors so far.
Awesome thank you very much for the info, I really appreciate it.

Feet:
When I reread my own comment I didn't make any sense of it.
What I meant was not to cut from the actual heel, but the topmost parts of the two front "covers" that face to the sides of the foot. The boxiness I saw is mostly apparent in the rightside foot of the photo on the right.
Is there any material to shave off that part, or does it risk not holding up? Slimming that part down even a little could do wonders.

If I don't make any sense, tell me and I'll do a quick sketch.

The size of the feet seem right overall. If you wanted to you could probably spread the toes out a little more, but that's a matter of taste.

Back:
That makes sense. How big are you planning the wings to be?

Arms:
The armpit seems fine. What I was on about was that in the right photo the muscles on top of your shoulders seem to build a little too much vertically, so that your head might risk being buried with not much neck showing. It might be an illusion from the angle and the shadow on the white foam behind your neck though, so I'm not sure anymore.

When you mention it being flexible I get really interested in seeing some recorded movement tests.
How heavy is it by the way?

Feet:
When I reread my own comment I didn't make any sense of it.
What I meant was not to cut from the actual heel, but the topmost parts of the two front "covers" that face to the sides of the foot. The boxiness I saw is mostly apparent in the rightside foot of the photo on the right.
Is there any material to shave off that part, or does it risk not holding up? Slimming that part down even a little could do wonders.

If I don't make any sense, tell me and I'll do a quick sketch.

The size of the feet seem right overall. If you wanted to you could probably spread the toes out a little more, but that's a matter of taste.

Back:
That makes sense. How big are you planning the wings to be?

Arms:
The armpit seems fine. What I was on about was that in the right photo the muscles on top of your shoulders seem to build a little too much vertically, so that your head might risk being buried with not much neck showing. It might be an illusion from the angle and the shadow on the white foam behind your neck though, so I'm not sure anymore.

When you mention it being flexible I get really interested in seeing some recorded movement tests.
How heavy is it by the way?

Yeah I get what you are saying about the feet. I can definitely trim parts of it down. The entire foot is glued onto a "jacket" that simply slips over the stilts, and zips up the back side.

The wings will be pretty big, I plan for them to come a foot above my head, then come down to my knees. So each wing will be about 6 Feet long in length, with about a 14 foot wing span. I still have to make them so they might be smaller, depending on how they hold up.

I do plan on trimming down the traps. They do seem a little big, but of course you always want to start big then trim down, because adding foam is a pain. I have been really busy these past few weeks with finals, but now that those are all over Ill be spending a lot more time on this costume. Pictures and some videos coming soon!

a goliath costume thas so cool, it's about time that somebody make one, it was my idea to. the suit looks cool sofar. but i have not enough space to build this suit. i'm looking forward to see your mask or are you going to do just make up?

i'm waiting for the gargoyle movie.

sorry for my english, i'm from germany and my last english lesson was 11 years ago :)

a goliath costume thas so cool, it's about time that somebody make one, it was my idea to. the suit looks cool sofar. but i have not enough space to build this suit. i'm looking forward to see your mask or are you going to do just make up?

i'm waiting for the gargoyle movie.

sorry for my english, i'm from germany and my last english lesson was 11 years ago :)

No you're good man! You're English is great. The mask is going to be made out of foam latex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I'd be a fool if I weren't to subscribe and follow this build.

Something tells me it's going to be amazing and the stuff of legend here. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back