Godzilla (Post-release)

I really liked the film.

My only gripe was that they tried to make it out like Godzilla was some kind of hero at the end, which to me made no ******* sense at all as he seemingly killed just as many as the Mutos did?
Other than that I really liked the dark tone that 3/4 of the film had
7.5 outa 10 for me

My only gripe was that they tried to make it out like Godzilla was some kind of hero at the end, which to me made no ******* sense at all as he seemingly killed just as many as the Mutos did?

I agree with you on this point, however it should be pointed out that the MUTOs attacked anything that got in their way or that had a nuclear power source, whereas Godzilla seemingly had a singular mindset to destroy the MUTOs and actively avoided causing unnecessary harm.

Remember that he allowed an entire U.S. Naval Battlegroup to go alongside him without harming them, even going so far as to submerge and swim underneath them when they were in his way. Of the three ships that he actually damaged when coming on shore, only one was seemingly in real danger of capsizing. Also, when he first made landfall and the rooftop soldiers opened fire on him, he just ignored them. Old Godzilla would have smashed and/or burned them to ashes (much like that MUTO did at the docks).

The MUTOs, however, seemed to have a "wanton destruction" mindset to them. Disregarding the EMP attack (the purpose of which would be completely unnecessary back when they roamed the surface of the Earth as there were no electronics, but I digress...), they seemed to take a proactive role in the destruction of buildings, personnel, and materiel. Nuclear subs, power plants, and weapons I could understand, as it was a food source, but they actively attacked anything in their way.

The best description I can give to the two sides of this conflict is that the MUTOs were terrorists, whereas Godzilla was a soldier. The MUTOs targeted everyone, but Godzilla only targeted the MUTOs. In war, collateral damage is unavoidable, especially when you are that size.

I agree with you on this point, however it should be pointed out that the MUTOs attacked anything that got in their way or that had a nuclear power source, whereas Godzilla seemingly had a singular mindset to destroy the MUTOs and actively avoided causing unnecessary harm.

Remember that he allowed an entire U.S. Naval Battlegroup to go alongside him without harming them, even going so far as to submerge and swim underneath them when they were in his way. Of the three ships that he actually damaged when coming on shore, only one was seemingly in real danger of capsizing. Also, when he first made landfall and the rooftop soldiers opened fire on him, he just ignored them. Old Godzilla would have smashed and/or burned them to ashes (much like that MUTO did at the docks).

The MUTOs, however, seemed to have a "wanton destruction" mindset to them. Disregarding the EMP attack (the purpose of which would be completely unnecessary back when they roamed the surface of the Earth as there were no electronics, but I digress...), they seemed to take a proactive role in the destruction of buildings, personnel, and materiel. Nuclear subs, power plants, and weapons I could understand, as it was a food source, but they actively attacked anything in their way.

The best description I can give to the two sides of this conflict is that the MUTOs were terrorists, whereas Godzilla was a soldier. The MUTOs targeted everyone, but Godzilla only targeted the MUTOs. In war, collateral damage is unavoidable, especially when you are that size.

Giant Tidal Wave killing hundreds if not thousands. Same thing for the suspension bridge. lol. I'm a big fan of the first 2 B&W films (I love the others too, just not quite as much) where Godzilla is just as much a animal like monster, vs a sentient being.
Honestly I think it was more of him not giving a rats behind about the soldiers shooting at him as it has very little, if any, effect on him. I agree that his sole goal was the destruction of the Muto's, but at the same time, it's not like he cared who got killed in his path regardless.

It was really only those last 10 or so minutes that I had an issue with. I would have much preferred that the 3 of them got nuked out at sea like planned, Survived and then Godzilla kills the Mutos, and in that light becomes a kinda sorta hero.

Last edited:
For all of those that loved this movie, I HAVE to believe you saw something different from what I just endured... and yes, I mean "endured." This was one of the worst pieces of Hollywood drivel I have seen in a LONG time. Let's not kid ourselves, we all went to see one thing; Godzilla. Was there even 5 minutes of him in the film and was there even a full minute of him fighting? That 5 minutes was AWESOME!!! The other hours and 58 minutes was nothing but painful and so filled with Hollywood's worst cliches, I was a little stunned. Yes, I know the old movies were campy and cheesy. Yes, I know some of them were downright bad... but that was 60 years ago and movies ported over from another culture. This really could have been something. The trailers made me believe this WAS going to be something. Early reviews made me think so as well. I know some will dismiss me as just being whiny or a hater, but this was one of the worst films I have seen in a very long time (outside of Netflix). How do I know I am right? Because even Kristen, who loves EVERYTHING, walked out shaking her head.

I could go into pages of details about what was wrong with the film, but at the end of the day, those that loved it aren't going to want to hear it, so all I can say is that I am glad it worked for you.

As schmaltzy as ID4 was, there were good guys to root for, and I'll admit to a few "hell yeah!" emotional moments, embarrassing as they are. But who were we rooting for here? The bomb guy? He didn't have a lot to offer. Godzilla? Well, we didn't really have a reason to see him as a good guy until the very end when we were kinda told, and even that is like rooting for a hurricane or something. We needed heroes and villains, a "today will be our Independence Day" speech, no matter how cringe inducing, to at least stir the blood a little.

On the other hand, I root for Jason to off people creatively in Friday the 13th and don't ask for a lot of depth, because the joy there is the stupid fun of watching annoying 2D people get offed creatively. If G had been handled that way, I'd be ok.

It was this inability to decide if it wanted to be serious or not. If you're going to try for serious, go all out. Write real characters. Cranston's character should've lived and been the star. At least he can inflect his voice, over-acting or no. Or if you're going for destruction and body count, don't give us an hour of watching boats.

Like I said the second half, I loved. And if the first half had been well done, I could've been fine with a slow burn. The movie just tried to have it both ways and couldn't pull it off. And Monsters was so exceptionally interesting too. I really, really cared about those people and those monsters. Shame his second flick was such a series of cardboard cutouts.

Best Godzilla movie ever? Far from it.
You clearly haven't seen any of the older films recently.

jump-around-o.gif

Masterpieces they were not. IMO, this is the Godzilla movie we've been waiting for, for a very, very long time. For me, it paid off in spades.

Saw this today. Laughed through the whole thing along with the rest of the theater. Every time the said, "Godzilla" I heard Peter Griffin in my head say,"Awww they said it." It was a terrible film. I didn't know going in that it had other monsters. I thought that was a cool idea but so poorly executed that it came off funny. And when Godzilla spit down the monsters throat...my side still hurts from laughing.

Wow, I didn't think it was TERRIBLE--just frustratingly close to being really good. I'm more in 7/10 territory. But if people are laughing through the whole thing, that's at least a certain kind of pleasure, I guess?

I didn't expect to like this. There are a ton of valid strikes against it: not enough giant monsters fighting, Taylor-Johnson's terrible acting and a tad too long being chief among them.

But, I ended up liking it for the most part - lots of fun, not a bad popcorn flick and so much better than Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I thought the music was supposed to be like the music in the old movies?

Wow, I didn't think it was TERRIBLE--just frustratingly close to being really good. I'm more in 7/10 territory. But if people are laughing through the whole thing, that's at least a certain kind of pleasure, I guess?
Exactly, which is why I enjoy movies like Godzilla Vs Megalon despite being a far departure from the more serious original film.

If there's one thing I noticed on ANY forum is you have people who seem to get joy out of hating whatever that forum is about be it guns,movies,anime,cars,knives,motorcycles et cetera.

It's a freakin' national past time nowadays to hate something and pine for the better days.

Frankly it's driving me nuts,I'm pretty close to dropping forums like I dropped TV back in 2005 too much shat and insanity;as is I used to have over a dozen forums I haunted now it's like four or five.

You like Godzilla go see it,you don't fine say as much but the five thousand words on why you hate it is a bit much.

And I know you hate Bay,Lucas,and the others-no need to say it more then ten thousand times.

Just quit America :behave

The care and concern for Godzilla lore was there, this film is certainly as good as many of the better Japanese films.
Godzilla was portrayed as a character, he had his purpose known to him and his mystery. There was a lot of American seriousness and just dash of the ol Japanese cheese for balance.
It was good to see a new Godzilla movie again, it's been a long time since "Final Wars" and that one was proof that even the Japanese can also make a terrible Godzilla movie.

Getting awful close to Godzilla seemed to be a foolish thing to do though, visually interesting but no way would navel vessels get that close or people when he was knocked out just walking up to him... One twitch and your over.

I would have liked to hear a bit of the original Godzilla score, and I have no memory of score in this film, so that might be a weak spot, but the Japanese films often the score is not as engaging as I would like either.

The King of Monsters is back. Hail to the king.

Guys. I can see how some people thought the fights were few and far in between.

But let's face it. It's a monster movie. I don't want to see an especially awesome monster for more than half the movie. Build the suspense, give us the scale (who it affects, where, how, etc.), and let us fill in the blanks. Too many movies these days outright display all the goods for everyone to see. All that eye candy can be a bit of over kill on the senses. As far as the characters being bland, I guess that is not to far off. The female lead saw G-man one time and barely emoted her horror. Hell, I'd probably freeze up. Kick Ass guy was OK, I mean, he's EOD, I don't know if you wanted a Hurt Locker version of a EOD guy, which, IMO, is a fake overglorfied version of what EOD does. He basically appeared to be quite the normal guy, even when he was being a badass. For all it's small flaws I really felt they nailed Godzilla.

PLUS, you can't argue with them Box Office Numbers!

The female lead saw G-man one time and barely emoted her horror. Hell, I'd probably freeze up.

You'know one thing nobody seems to realize.....if Godzilla were really real....how many of us would just have no reaction to him because we're just so dumb struck at how-the-hell can this be really happening?

It's not every day you see a seven hundred foot tall lizard.

I'm giddy for mid week to get here and I go see this :D

If you've dealt with my sister, you'll know a similar terror as meeting Godzilla! Saw the movie and had a great time. There were a few moments that I wanted to cheer. Already read they're planning to make another.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back