Toho Godzilla returns "Godzilla Minus One"

Steam Boat Willie Minus One.
1000012818.jpg

Saw this when it came to the US the first weekend. 10 awesome minutes of godzilla action throughout. Best ever put to film.
But the rest of it was a snoozefest for me. Had trouble staying awake through it. Maybe because it wasn't dubbed and I got
tired of reading the subs. Shin Godzilla was a turd to me too because of it. Granted, even the Godzilla scenes in Shin were
pretty bad. Just a poor design for me.

It's a metaphor for the state of Japan at the time, the idea that Japan was already at Zero after getting bombed by the nuclear bombs, and then Godzilla comes, and puts them at -1.

What a joke the Oscars are. G -1 should have been nominated for best picture and it wasn't even nominated for best foreign picture. It's unreal how far these people have their heads up their own you know what.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually care about the Oscars anymore? It's just industry masturbation and the ratings are terrible. Nobody watches or cares.
Not me. When I was a kid, I thought it meant something but early on I realized it was just another marketing apparatus in the guise of "critical acclaim". The Oscars have about as much legitimacy as a high school popularity contest.

Still, would have been nice for Godzilla to get more eyes on it.

I agree with all of the above about the Oscars, but there's one more element to it. The Oscars are also a "sport" to those who are playing in it. The participants have competed against each other all year and are seeking to win the prize over the others. They have delicate egos, and seek validation from their peers. So I assure you, the Oscars are VERY important to the nominees themselves. And like any sport, winning an Oscar opens the doors to all kinds of other endorsement deals and job opportunities. They care.

The problem is that as a sport, the Oscars are more crooked and fixed than baseball.

I agree with all of the above about the Oscars, but there's one more element to it. The Oscars are also a "sport" to those who are playing in it. The participants have competed against each other all year and are seeking to win the prize over the others. They have delicate egos, and seek validation from their peers. So I assure you, the Oscars are VERY important to the nominees themselves. And like any sport, winning an Oscar opens the doors to all kinds of other endorsement deals and job opportunities. They care.

The problem is that as a sport, the Oscars are more crooked and fixed than baseball.
It's true. For guys like Nolan and Scorsese it doesn't really matter but for a lot of the technical categories, it helps those nominees' careers tremendously, you're right.

Not me. When I was a kid, I thought it meant something but early on I realized it was just another marketing apparatus in the guise of "critical acclaim". The Oscars have about as much legitimacy as a high school popularity contest.

Still, would have been nice for Godzilla to get more eyes on it.
I don't think I've watched the Oscars in at least 30 years. I don't care and never really did. I recognized it as what it was, a way for the industry to wank off to itself.

Anyone who wants to watch that has problems.

So there you go, a bridge too far, judging the fans.

Some of us love the movie industry more than others, and to put us all in a box for seeing things maybe a little differently than you do is insulting and inappropriate.
Sorry, but loving an "industry" for the sake of the industry is dumb. Enjoying good movies is fine. Enjoying all movies, just because they exist is not.
You do you though.

Sorry, but loving an "industry" for the sake of the industry is dumb. Enjoying good movies is fine. Enjoying all movies, just because they exist is not.
You do you though.

Never said anything of the sort. I don't enjoy all movies because they exist. But I do appreciate all movies for existing, because bad movies help us understand what it takes to get a good movie.

I don't love the industry for the sake of the industry. I love the film industry because of its contributions to skills, jobs, the arts, storytelling, diversion, and yes, even its cultural and industrial influence (such as 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Trek influencing tech design). And to my very own enjoyment of life.

So if that makes me "dumb", "not fine" in your book, and means I have "problems", so be it. But I will indeed take issue with being insulted as such. I don't know why judging and insulting people for what they like makes you feel better; you do you though.

Like this movie so much, I'm seeing it (B.W version )a third time in the cinemas. I rewatched it again last night and booked another screening for tomorrow as soon as it finished.

There's only two movies I've seen in the theaters more than once in what could be the last 10 years and they all happened the end of last year for two movies: Boy and the Heron and Godzilla: Minus One.

Like this movie so much, I'm seeing it (B.W version )a third time in the cinemas. I rewatched it again last night and booked another screening for tomorrow as soon as it finished.

There's only two movies I've seen in the theaters more than once in what could be the last 10 years and they all happened the end of last year for two movies: Boy and the Heron and Godzilla: Minus One.
Yup. Those two (along with Top Gun: Maverick and Shin Godzilla) are the only films I've seen multiple times in the past decade as well.

I've watched Minus One twice (would have been more but scheduling didn't always work out). I'm planning on seeing Minus Color at least twice if I can. Boy and the Heron I had to watch both dub and sub.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back