Godzilla (Post-release)

Well, I had DVRed this off of pay-per-view several months back and just finally got around to watching it. I have only one question....................................could this have possibly sucked any more than it did?

Sorry for the bump, but just saw this tonight.

Was quite disappointed by the lack of godzilla in this godzilla film.

Also if the mutos eat radiation, why does blasting them with radiation breath kill them?

Jaws movies don't get better when you see more of the shark. Even if the shark did look real it would still be better with minimal screen time.

Godzilla movies aren't so different. If you don't leave the theater wanting more of the big guy, then they probably gave you too much.

Jaws movies don't get better when you see more of the shark. Even if the shark did look real it would still be better with minimal screen time.

Godzilla movies aren't so different. If you don't leave the theater wanting more of the big guy, then they probably gave you too much.

The difference between giving the title creature little screen time in Jaws and Godzilla is that not showing the shark had the benefit of making the ocean a much more dangerous setting. You can't really see anything below the surface, so the only time you would see the Shark clearly was if you were underwater (where the Shark thrives) or when he's coming out of the water to attack you. Godzilla however fights on land, so not being able to see him doesn't really accomplish much other than being a filmmaking gimmick. There's no reason why we shouldn't have been able to see more of Godzilla when he appears on land, especially when the big fight between him and the other two monsters that we are meant to see occurs at night. Not seeing Godzilla doesn't make him or the setting scarier. It makes me want to bonk the camera man on the head and tell him to zoom out and hold the bloody thing steady.

My reason for saying Godzilla is better with minimal screen time isn't about him being scary. It's about him being a powerful presence in general. The same goes for Darth Vader. Or Yoda. Adult John Connor. Wolverine. The Alien Xenomorph. Etc. If the filmmakers give the audience as much as they want then the character won't measure up anymore.

But all that having been said, I do agree this Godzilla movie was too dark some of the big scenes.

As for the handheld shots - it's been a while since I've seen the movie but I didn't rememeber it seeming too bad for a modern show. It did feel very "in the moment".

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back