Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

I think anyone of any age can see a 12a rated film if with an adult? If the kids were 12 they could have seen it without the adult on their own.

I think anyone of any age can see a 12a rated film if with an adult? If the kids were 12 they could have seen it without the adult on their own.
you are indeed correct, i had it wrong... none the less these kids were nowhere near 12 and whilst the movie wasn't massively scary, i wouldnt have said it was suitable for the age they were acting like. the parent just let them dick about and have their phones out and stuff so i guess regardless of age the parent should have sorted them out.

I finally saw it and you're comments about the story plot points were completely corrects. My buddy listed them off like he was reading a list as we were leaving.

Well in the end, it seems it will be considered a flop.

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire did not make a profit. Despite making $160 million at the box office, all of that money will be used to recuperate what was spent making the project. Therefore, the movie could be considered a failure in that respect. It made back what it used, but did not go much beyond that.”

At least the anti-Disney crowd here can now see that all studios are making flops these days. It’s not about revolting against a woke agenda, haha. It has more to do with people just not flocking to theaters anymore.

At least the anti-Disney crowd here can now see that all studios are making flops these days. It’s not about revolting against a woke agenda, haha. It has more to do with people just not flocking to theaters anymore.

Content quality matters too. Frozen Empire was a bit disappointing. So I didn't tell all my friends to go see it.

We just watched it at home last night. Three people and microwave popcorn. We all enjoyed the movie, but I enjoyed not spending $60 to go see it once. Now we can rewatch it and still make microwave popcorn. Movie theatres are dead to me, not movies.

The fact that movies like this and 'The Fall Guy' are failing to make money . . . it speaks volumes. These flicks aren't instant classics but they should be decent bread-n-butter earners. In 2010 they both would have made money.

The movie theater industry is dying fast. By 2030 it won't be recognizeable.

It still mystifies me that the theaters are willing to go out of business rather than lower their prices. They have whole rooms of empty seats because teenagers and families don't wanna pay so much for a show. This isn't complicated.

You fail to understand that being anti-poor storytelling isn’t an “anti-Disney” thing (which, BTW, Disney is the biggest repeat offender of in the past ten years), or even an “anti-woke” thing. Frozen Empire wasn’t great as Afterlife or even the OGs, but is still better than the 2016 film. And fans will still choose FE over the 2016. And since a large chunk of Hollywood hasn’t been practicing good storytelling in a lot of their films and TV shows for a while, this is just showing that Hollywood is burning due to lighting their own fire and them stoking their own flames when audiences warned them.

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday. Happy I went matinee cause it wasn’t even worth the matinee price. So much potential. And fallen way way too short. It’s like they just slapped everything together while afterlife had more thought put into it.

I think theaters will disappear like Malls have, give it some time and they will be back just for people to have the “experience”

There are barely any malls near me anymore.. they actually just tore down the largest mall in my area…

I hated malls, hated everything about them.. now I find myself interested in going across the state line to Providence’s huge mall just for the experience..

I can see this happening nation wide eventually

We just watched it at home last night. Three people and microwave popcorn. We all enjoyed the movie, but I enjoyed not spending $60 to go see it once. Now we can rewatch it and still make microwave popcorn. Movie theatres are dead to me, not movies.
We live in quite a rural area so to make a trip to the IMAX, which is the only decent cinema near us in Plymouth takes an hours drive.
The local cinema which hasn't been updated like since the 90s has awful tweeter type surround sound and the screen quality is dull fuzzy and no pleasure that's for sure..
Our cinemas have been crazy prices since the birth of multiexi certainly here in the UK.

As kids we could afford going to our old town cinemas all through the summer holidays if we wanted to, well when we weren't falling out trees!

We just have a better set up at home and only have to wait a matter of weeks to stream/buy a movie these days.

What made Ghostbusters (1) unique was the contrast between the supernatural and paranormal and the very serious tone of the film. It was shot like a drama, no one laughs, low camera angles, etc. It tricked your mind into believing the story. The grittyness. The deadpan comedy (that it's so well known for) was simply the icing on the cake.

Afterlife captured that grittyness beautifully.

Frozen Empire seems like a satire to me. Just goofy, kid oriented comedy. The comedy wasn't even all that great.

So compared to 1 and Afterlife it had less creative merit and was way less cerebral.

I think that's why it's considered a flop. I think FE suffered from the exact same problems that GBII suffered from (dumbed down, kid friendlyness).

I consider myself a fan of the franchise and I would rate the (OG) GB franchise:

Ghostbusters I
Ghostbusters Afterlife
Ghostbusters Frozen Empire / Ghostbusters II (both about even, can't choose).

I mean, the name alone: "Frozen Empire", sounds like bottom of the barrel in term of creativity.

Hmm. That cover doesn't look quite right. A work like that would be less whimsical and more academic. The actual title should be more like: Exhaustive Guide to the Spiritual Realm by J. H. Tobin or something similar. Considering that such a work would have been completed during the height of spiritualism movement, it should look more serious. "Tobin's Spirit Guide" is too informal and indicates more of a bar manual than a supernatural study.

The same is true of Spate's Catalogue.

I'm not sure why the producers would let a detail like this slide especially with someone like Aykroyd involved in the project.

Apparently it's based on real books:

4Vx5RBc.jpg

"They had no fire and sent two messengers, Kuratje and Kanmari, towards the east"

"Prometheus (a son of the Titan Japetos), who had previously identified himself with
the cause of humanity in a dispute that arose at Mekone
(Sikyon) as to the rightful share of the gods in all sacrifices
offered to them."

"Manual of mythology : Greek and Roman, Norse, and old German, Hindoo and Egyptian mythology"
by Murray, A. S. (Alexander Stuart), 1841-1904"

https://archive.org/stream/manualofmyth ... r_djvu.txt

----

"They were beautiful maidens . George of Trebizond , a Greek philosopher of the fifteenth century , saw one in the open sea"

"the ways of nature, and to wrench from her the scerets of her innermost"

"Encyclopedia of superstitions, folklore, and the occult sciences of the world"
-Cora Linn Daniels 1903"

http://iapsop.com/ssoc/1903__daniels_st ... ____v3.pdf

The books are >100 years old so are public domain now. 1070 pages total.

I'm not surprised. Afterlife was a modest success. It made 200 million dollars against a $75 million dollars budget (advertising was likely 50-75 million). It wasn't the kind of hit blockbuster whose momentum alone could carry a sequel.

Someone made a good point elsewhere (maybe on GBFans, I can't remember) that a franchise like this isn't just about making money in the box office, but it's to keep the IP active for merchandising ("where the real money from the movie is made"). Ghost Corps is probably making plenty of money outside of the box office... the HasLab "Two In The Box" campaign is a multi-million dollar project in itself. Not that I don't agree with everything being said here... FE was not the best movie, but the big wigs might not be considering it a flop if it's keeping the IP active.

Someone made a good point elsewhere (maybe on GBFans, I can't remember) that a franchise like this isn't just about making money in the box office, but it's to keep the IP active for merchandising ("where the real money from the movie is made"). Ghost Corps is probably making plenty of money outside of the box office... the HasLab "Two In The Box" campaign is a multi-million dollar project in itself. Not that I don't agree with everything being said here... FE was not the best movie, but the big wigs might not be considering it a flop if it's keeping the IP active.
Yeah, it's true that a borderline movie is probably still profitable for the corp if it indirectly supports the franchise.

But the "if" in that sentence is not to be ignored.

'Frozen Empire' is the kind of movie where that actually might apply because it's so reverent towards the rest of the franchise. It would not apply to a lot of these other famous bombs lately. Once you start "reinventing" the franchise with your new entry it forfeits that kind of halo effect. Disney's 'Wish' bombed and that's it. It didn't leave the older princess shows better off. Indy#5 didn't do the 1980s Indy movies any favors. Marvel's (insert latest bomb here) is not helping the older MCU stuff.

100% right, story doesn’t matter as long as toys and products sells

Interesting to see folks less than happy with it.

I agree it was not as good as Afterlife. But I think that's much more of a comment on how great Afterlife was, than any lack of quality on Frozen Empire's part.

When I first saw the trailers, I was actually really skeptical about all of the "extra" actors they added to the cast. But after having watched it, I was really really pleased with how well all the characters fit. I liked the family dynamic of the new cast. And it was even real nice to see 'ol Dickless play his part.

I bought it on digital for $25, and I'm more than happy with the price I paid. It'll go into the regular funsie movie rotation.

Oof. I thought Afterlife was you know, fine, but nothing special. I thought it relied a little too much on past bad guys (i.e., Gozer), and that part was uninspired. I thought the specific ghosts weren't all that interesting either. There were some nice moments, and the rest was pretty disposable.

If that's how I felt about Afterlife, I expect Frozen Empire is going to be pretty underwhelming.

The fact that movies like this and 'The Fall Guy' are failing to make money . . . it speaks volumes. These flicks aren't instant classics but they should be decent bread-n-butter earners. In 2010 they both would have made money.

The movie theater industry is dying fast. By 2030 it won't be recognizeable.

It still mystifies me that the theaters are willing to go out of business rather than lower their prices. They have whole rooms of empty seats because teenagers and families don't wanna pay so much for a show. This isn't complicated.
Yeah, I try to go to movies on Tuesdays because that's the discount day, and it tends to be quite busy because of that, especially on new releases. Not only are tickets about half price, there's discounts on concessions too. Obviously, Tuesdays aren't as convenient for everyone, which is why they tend to be the discount days (brings in more people on a day that otherwise wouldn't be busy). But you'd think lowering prices the rest of the time would boost sales enough to not only offset the discounts, but get more profits. I guess the studios demand ticket prices be high, so maybe the theaters don't have as much flexibility.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back