Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: The Largest Ever

Been watching this thread for a while like a creeper & finally manned up to join. Love what you're doing to make the most authentic Ecto-1 replica out there!

Just a quick question whenever you get the chance: What are the dimensions of the Federal Propello Ray Model 19? I know someone who may potentially be able to fabricate the shell of this device & may potentially save a little bit of money for my Ecto-1 project.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful build with all of us & hope all goes well with the rest of the restoration process!

My Propello Rays (yeah, I have three...because I'm stupid) are currently packed away in my garage waiting to be used. I can get that info to you once I have a chance to get back to the garage.

Also, sorry for the lack of recent updates...work has been killer. I also haven't had much funding to send out for the car and now will have a bit less after my newest acquisition from the Profiles in History auction:

Tripod%20Traps_zpsbwncukjl.jpg

I'm so excited!

This build just gets better and better.

I was just curious - and I figured this would be a good place to ask - what are the differences between the MM hearse/ambulance and the standard Cadillac production car? (Aside from the obvious extended roof and back door!) Was the chassis lengthened, etc?

Could a standard car be converted into an Ecto? (hypothetically speaking!)

Not sure if anyone has had the chance to see this but it looks like Sony has had the original (I am fairly confident it is the actual car but if I'm wrong feel free to let me know.) car out at events ahead of the new movie, I took these pictures in Detroit a couple of weeks ago.
image.jpeg
Obviously the car being built in this thread is more accuret than the car as it is today but it was still cool to see it in person.

is it true after they restored it the damaged the passenger front fender delivering it back to sony? thats what i heard

Sorry some how missed the other pictures, apparently I was distracted by my cute kids (I'm totally impartial)
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Wow you are doing a wonderful job. turning a boring old car into something of the unseen. I just wanted to let you know I went though 10 pages of this thread and read every word and seen all pictures.

Sony needs to get a kick in the butt for how they treated the Ecto-1 and they were gonna send the 1a to the crusher. They did a poor job to restore the ecto. Thanks for pointing out what they did wrong. And now the diecast makers used their car as a referance.

Keep up the good work and I got my eyes on this site.

Sharkman

Has it been THAT long? Yes, yes it has. I apologize. A lot of things are going on involving the car and all other things in life. Most of the car-related things are little technical things that may seem boring, but they're all giant steps towards the car being completed. I will highlight all of this the best I can, outlining the work that has gone on for the past few months.

First up, the vent windows and window tracks needed to be restored. You can see that the vent window rubbers were rotted and obviously unacceptable. Getting them out was likely a pain in the you-know-what, but they are long gone and now the vent windows are all set.

Vent%20Window%20Prep_zpsg2qjlli4.jpg

Vent%20Window_zpsui8aljif.jpg

Vent%20Window%20Molds_zpsk3jzxsjx.jpg

New rubber has been installed, new vent window cranks are installed, and all of the moldings for the vent windows, side windows, and windshield have all been smoothed out and polished:

Moldings%20Repaired_zpscztbferx.jpg

Windshield%20Mouldings%20Polished%203_zpstgcmhcyf.jpg

The actual side window tracks are all looking sweet too:

Window%20Track%20Resto%202_zpsunon0ueh.jpg

One of the taillight brackets was damaged. The other wasn't salvageable. The team repaired the damaged one with a sweet welding job and then they fabricated a bracket for the other side. You guys will never see these parts again most likely, so I apologize if this is boring...

Tail%20Light%20Brackets_zpscm6v5267.jpg

Now, many of you should recall that the movie car needed a bunch of stuff, including 'a little wiring' according to Ray. I can assure you that there is A LOT of wiring involved. Let there be lights!

Turn Signals:
IMG_4800_zpsuq7zrbib.jpg

Backup Lights:
Backup%20Lights_zpsj2fniljm.jpg

And just because I love the look of it, another shot of the lights in the front:
Fog%20Lights_zpst8bc5gy1.jpg

There was a bit of challenge with the windshield installation. It is seemingly impossible to find a single rubber to properly install it. The window guy has figured out a way to use two separate window rubbers to install the windshield appropriately. Rubbers!

Windshield%20Rubbers_zpshdtsmjms.jpg

Speaking of new linings, the glove box will have a new one! I can put all kind of money bribe gags in the glove box now for when the cops pull me over for running the lights and siren...

Glove%20Box%20Liner_zpsywijnyc0.jpg

Finally, the current challenge we are facing is an issue with the dash shift indicator.

Dash%20Shift%20Indicator_zpsokhzatni.jpg

When we changed the transmission we never realized this was going to be an issue. The original transmission had a shift pattern of P N D2 L R. The new transmission shift pattern is P R N D 2 1. Basically, when I shift the new transmission, the dash indicator will not indicate the proper current shift after 'park'...this is being addressed as we speak. I will update you all on how we fix this issue.

Yes! This project is still on. Bloodsweatandtears man, restoring old cars is a work of love! How's your Aliens's costume btw?

Both the smartgunner and the standard USCM are totally on but still a little sluggish due to various reasons, one of which was a health issue involving someone helping with the M56...soon they will pick up momentum again! I had to get some Ecto stuff figured out behind the scenes before I could worry about focusing efforts into the standard marine stuff, but now that's back on my obsession list!

Happy near year everyone! Sorry...I know that's a bit late. Anyway, an update!

First, the windshield has finally been officially installed. It took a long time to figure out the rubber gasket needed, though apparently there are people that know how to easily find them for these cars, including a friend of mine. I, however, hate being annoying and bugging them for this info - sadly, a lot of people get a bit snippy when you ask for help. Next time I won't hesitate. Alas, check it out!

Windshield%20Prep%200_zpswyzihwm0.jpg

(I know some of these photos are a little blurry...I apologize, the cameraman isn't tech savvy, but he's incredible when it comes to bodywork)

The car before:

Windshield%20Prep%201_zps2mk2890l.jpg

Windshield%20Install%202_zpss74uwrf1.jpg

The car after:

Windshield%201_zpszx94gdro.jpg

That chrome is nice and shiny...you're seeing a reflection in it, not rust.

And now, some AWESOME photos I just got this morning that I just can't get enough of...I hope you enjoy them!

My baby went for a little trip two days ago to get a new exhaust system!

IMG_5316_zpsiohcwcwa.jpg

IMG_5318_zps5gnoq82k.jpg

IMG_5319_zpsbk4jhw5s.jpg

IMG_5324_zpsbglq6pwx.jpg

She was exhausted after her trip...get it?

Again, please forgive me for the rain and slightly blurry photos, still, the pictures have me really, really excited. A good buddy has asked about having the car undercoated. I do intend to pursue that once she is here in Pennsylvania. The wheel wells and inner quarter panels are already coated, but we'll do the entire underside of the car if my shop here can do it (I'm 99.99% certain they can).

Until next time, be well everyone!

Good call on the undercoating! We had our '67 Station Wagon undercoated and it has held up great for over 20 years. Just make sure they mask off any rubber gaskets as the flex can cause cracks to develop.

This is just so beautiful to see an Ecto being done from top to bottom!! :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back