Ghostbusters Ecto-1 Project: The Largest Ever

Great update!! So gracious and generous from Michael C. Gross to have given you that bag full of treasure and one of a kind material/pics: very cool indeed:cool

WOW!!!! if you have to do it do it right:thumbsup The basic car would cost a fortune to produce today with all those gourgeous chrome parts, the craftsmanship was amazing back then.

Happy New Year everyone...it's been a rough 2016 so far due to all of the losses we have been dealt (I hope the trend changes). That said, I figured I should try to cheer myself up and post an update. This isn't a big one as most of what is going on with the car is the technical stuff (it needs more than a little wiring to say the least...). I did finally manage to pull some of the photos from my camera from my visit with Michael Gross (RIP) a number of months ago, and they were too beautiful not to post a few, so...

And when I say it needs more than a little wiring, here's a small piece of the puzzle currently being fine-tuned:

I am currently in the process of finding a new garage for the car and all of my things (a huge headache, but I may have a solution, be it much more expensive than the garage I have now). As I've said, 2016 hasn't been a good one so far, but hey, that should be remedied with another trip to California, which I am going to be planning soon...YES!

Be safe everyone!

Part of can't wait to see this thing complete cause every time you post new photos my jaw drops going from how it looked to what it looks like now.

But then another part is kind sad your gonna throw a bunch of junk on what is already going to be an incredibly beautiful restoration.

But then the first part reminds the second part thats it's Ghostbusters.

Haha, I wouldn't call what I have a bunch of junk to throw on the roof...I have found virtually every source-able, vintage screen-accurate part to put on it...even the details you can't possibly see on screen or even when you're standing next to the car (unless you are specifically looking for obscure details like I have). Trust me, the roof should be fantastic when I get to it! And yes, I won't spare any expense to make the moving parts move and to make the car sirens sound incredible.

the best thing about the past is that its in the past and the future is unwritten. I hope 2016 is a much better year for you and everyone else. I always look forward to your posts and even if this is not a major update, it defiantly made my day....Thanks!

Doing it the right way.. from the ground up....

Absolutely amazing.

One of the reasons I choose KITT to do is because of the fact that it looked FAR simpler to do than a Delorean or an Ecto. Plus, most of the changes to the car are just the Dash and console. the outside is relatively unchanged compared to the other two, so Ithought it would be far cheaper, and far simpler, but just as cool.

Unfortunately, trying to get electronics to even start is a long waiting list.... and finding money to buy a car in shape will be another problem. but everyone at the office is wondering when i'm going to get really started..

So am I for that matter..

I guess I'll just have to root for you to finish yours, because so far it's looking amazing. If you take as much video of the work as pictures, you'll have one bad ass video going viral in no time.

Hey guys,

I just got back from my visit to California. It was another amazing trip with plenty of stories to tell but I won't go into that level of detail because it would take way too long. Let's get on with the Ghostbusters stuff!

When I arrived at the airport three of my four travel buddies were there waiting for me:

Yes, the shirts were a surprise (that's me in the apple in case you hadn't figured it out). We had a pretty low-key day to get the trip started (we were all exhausted from the long flights).

Day #2 of our trip started with a special visit to a very special place (I can't say more sadly). We then headed to the Sony Backlot Tour to see the actual movie car. Well, the care is starting to show its age again. There are so many things I would love to do to get this car back to what it once was.

It drives me insane seeing the sniffer facing backwards, the radome (the elevated white piece with the red stripes) mounted backwards, and the coaster siren not even mounted to the roof rack (you can't see that in this picture but trust me it's disappointing). Still, she is beautiful and always will be...

We also stopped in to visit Ghost Corps, Ivan Reitman's project group within Sony Pictures. They have something cool hanging on the wall:

That is a real terror dog head from the production of the movie.

The following day we visited MY car in Lake Elsinore, and she did not disappoint:

And when you lift the hood:

Check out the fully installed rear curved windows:

Simply amazing! Now here's a look at what's inside:

Now a look up front:

The dash lights work!

She is such a stunner! MAN, I LOVE MY CAR!!!

Sadly, we had to head back to Los Angeles and I had to once again say goodbye to my baby. Still it shouldn't be long before we are reunited on the east coast! As a special treat, here are some photos from our drive back along Route 74 (it's an amazing drive!):

...and an amazing view from the Griffith Observatory (which we visited the next day):

Until next time, take care!

Another quick update...

Let there be bullet lights!

Bullet%20Lights%201_zps3uxxlfbi.jpg

Bullet%20Lights%202_zpsajbmrxhx.jpg

Bullet%20Lights%203_zpsh2sjex89.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSS.

Looking great! I've been loving the progress shots in this thread. I can't wait to see the roof rack come together!

How crazy are you planning to get with replicating the warts-and-all details with this thing? From what I understand, the original was pretty hastily painted and assembled. Do you plan on going for a cheaper, less-impressive paint job that's more accurate to the production-era original car, or is this going to be more of pristine show-car reproduction? Did Sony give you access to any original production reference of the car? I've been curious what sort of archive material that have for the props...

I hated to hear about Stephen Dane!

Last edited:
Thanks man. I too was sad about the loss of Stephen Dane...I swear, ever since Harold Ramis passed we have lost so many people that were so important to the movies I love (Robin Williams, Bob Hoskins, Michael Gross) and now this.

As for your questions, I am going to get a top-notch paint job and the roofrack will be aimed to be screen-accurate but pristine. Sony doesn't take care of the real Ecto, but I sure as heck will take care of mine because I love the car so much. I can't comment much on my connections at Sony, but I do have some and have gotten access to the real car and other things from the movie that other fans could only dream of...I'm so lucky and appreciate the opportunities I have had. They don't have a lot of reference on the Ecto roofrack though from what it seems, sadly. It's challenging because the Ecto-1 from the movie is a lot different (in a negative way) than what it was back in 1983/84. That said, I'm very confident that I can replicate the movie version with my small group of super talented and detail-obsessed buddies helping me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back