Ghostbusters 3 is a go! (according to the writers, director and producer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a whole lot of news here, but I scanned this AMA with Bill Murray and someone posted this:

Bill Murray here: OK, I'll TALK! I'll TALK! : IAmA

Just talked to Dan Aykroyd today. He's in town shooting a James Brown biopic and we asked him about this on our radio show. He said there's a finished script on the way to him that he's going to start working on next week. When I asked if everyone's coming back he said "Think Star Trek. Where we hand it off to the next generation. We're gonna recruit new Ghostbusters." The full interview is up at Y101 - Jackson's #1 Hit Music Station - Homepage (or Nate and Murphy's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world?s sounds) and the GB3 part comes at 6:15

for this to really work for me, the new recruits, next generation, or whatever they call them need to be more SNL or Second City alumni such as Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig, Andy Samberg, Bobby Moynihan, Taran Killam, Kenan Thompson, Horatio Sanz, Jason Sudeikis .... I would think Dan Akroyd would want to cast along these lines...

image.jpg

Virtually - 1. almost entirely, nearly 2. for all practical purposes <virtually unknown> (Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online).

So, he's saying almost entirely everything is not accurate, and that means some of it happens to be accurate.

Plus, if someone is going to whip up an image like that, it's best to understand the context in which the statement was made:

This afternoon I had the privilege of sitting down one-on-one with the legendary comedy director/producer who told me that, "Virtually everything you’ve read on the internet [about Ghostbusters III] is not accurate." When I asked about if the project was still on schedule to begin production in May, as it was reported back in November, Reitman said that they still need to get their actors, though they "have some actors who seem to be interested in doing it, a ton of interest in the film."

Ivan Reitman Says Virtually Everything We Know About Ghostbusters 3 Is Wrong - CinemaBlend.com
Publish Date: 07/01/2011

[h=2]'Ghostbusters 3' to Shoot in Early 2015 But Ivan Reitman Won't Direct[/h] by Ethan Anderton
March 18, 2014
Source: Deadline

After years and years of rumors, ups and downs, and a bunch of non-news, it sounds like Ghostbusters 3 will finally move into production in early 2015. Deadline has word that Sony Pictures is hoping to being production in New York sometime in that window, but Ivan Reitman will no longer be directing. Despite some grumbling back in 2010, the studio apparently didn't have a problem with bringing Reitman back into the fray to direct a new Ghostbusters, and at one time in 2012, Paramount Pictures even paused development on Reitman's football film Draft Day because he was reported to go shoot the sequel. Read on!
But now, with the passing of Harold Ramis still fresh in his mind (and reports of a reworked script coming down the line because of it), Reitman has decided step out from behind the camera, and will help the studio find a new director to take over what is being considered a reboot. Reitman gave a lengthy statement to Deadline about his decision saying:
“There has been all kinds of stuff, unofficially written about 'Ghostbusters.' I’ve been reading things online for about four years, speculation on who’s writing, what they’re writing, who’s in it, who we will use, and who’s directing. We’d decided not to comment up till now, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, and it was never clear what Bill [Murray] was going to do. A lot of things happened in the last few months, the most significant of which was the passing of Harold, who was a very good friend who was extraordinarily influential in my career. We did five movies together including both 'Ghostbusters.'”
And then he dived into the various versions of Ghostbusters 3 that have emerged over the years:
“The first was done by Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky, and me, Harold [Ramis] and Dan [Aykroyd] helped them on it. It was a really good script, but then it became clear that Bill really didn’t want to do another Ghostbusters and that it was literally impossible to find him to speak to for the year or two we tried to get it going.
When Bill finally…well, he never actually said no, but he never said yes, so there was no way to make that film. We decided to start over again, and I started working with Etan Cohen, with Dan lending a helping hand. Harold got sick about three years ago, and we kept hoping he would get better. I kept pushing forward on the Etan Cohen and we now have a draft that is very good, that the studio is very excited about."
So what made him decide to stick with the project even after Ramis' death?
It’s a version of 'Ghostbusters' that has the originals in a very minor role. When I came back from Harold’s funeral, it was really moving and it made me think about a lot of things. I’d just finished directing 'Draft Day,' which I’m really happy with and proud of. Working on a film that is smaller and more dramatic was so much fun and satisfying. I just finally met with Amy [Pascal] and Doug Belgrad when I got back. I said I’d been thinking about it for weeks, that I’d rather just produce this 'Ghostbusters.' I told them I thought I could help but let’s find a really good director and make it with him. So that’s what we’ve agreed will happen. I didn’t want all kinds of speculation about what happened with me, that is the real story.”
So what kind of reboot are we looking at here, and who might direct ? Unfortunately, Reitman wasn't ready to divulge any details saying, "I’m not going to say how many Ghostbusters there will be in the new cast, but we are determined to retain the spirit of the original film, and I am pleased that all of this seems to have happened organically. I’m hoping we can get started by the fall, set in New York, but given the logistics and the stuff that happens, the beginning of 2015 seems more likely.” For my money, I think Sony needs to call in their 21 Jump Street and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs directors Phil Lord & Chris Miller to direct, because they seem to be able to do no wrong. Thoughts?

Like I said in the thread about Harold Ramis's death-that was going to give Ghostbusters three the kick in the ass to get it made.

Ramis and Murray had a falling out and it looks like that was a major obstacle in all of this. With Ramis now gone, Murray seems to be more willing to push the project forward.

Did Murrary sign off on it? No? Then it legally can't be made. His contract from the first film states he's required to be in any and all sequels to the original film. The only way he can't be in it is if he signs away that requirement. Besides, considering the current trend in remakes/sequels/prequels, do you really want a 3rd Ghostbusters? Wasn't GB2 enough?

Did Murrary sign off on it? No? Then it legally can't be made. His contract from the first film states he's required to be in any and all sequels to the original film. The only way he can't be in it is if he signs away that requirement. Besides, considering the current trend in remakes/sequels/prequels, do you really want a 3rd Ghostbusters? Wasn't GB2 enough?

Sounds like he did cuz he had a fallout and now that has resolved itself.

"Sounds like" isn't the same as "did."

Ever think that perhaps Reitman knows the film will never be made, and just got tired of people pestering him about it? And I'm fairly certain that Ramis and Murray, while not the best of friends, would work together on a film with a good script.

GB3 rumors have been around for decades, and while the story changes about why "this time it's happening," it's still not been made. Until you see a preview or actually filming being done (and I don't mean seeing an Ecto-type vehicle driving around), take any and all rumor with a few tons of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back