Game of Thrones

The only thing I wonder about is what was going on with the Mountain in that scene. I mean, those guys were prisoners, I guess? From the rags they wore I assume they weren't bandits or anything. But it looked like one or more of them had weapons that they subsequently dropped. Some kind of twisted game for the guards and Gregor?

Have the books been finished yet?

I stopped watching this after season 1 for various reasons, but mostly because of the books. I LOVED season 1 and immediately got the books and started gobbling them up. They started out amazing as well, but eventually (may have been book 5...I'll have to check) I just kind of got bored. I still had no idea what the overall plot was...everytime you start to think it's going to be a story about this character or this family, they all die. It felt like I was 5 books in and still covering backstory. There were still like 8 plots that had not yet converged. Made me worry that the TV show might not maintain interest long enough to finish.

Thankfully at the moment it still seems as popular as ever. I've just had one too many great shows leave me with no resolution (exhibit A: the Stargate Universe thread is currently on the front page here).

So I'm in that limbo...I loved the first season and want to dive in head first and watch all the rest, but I'm leery. Without some more reassurance, I lack faith that it will end strong.

I stopped watching this after season 1 for various reasons, but mostly because of the books. I LOVED season 1 and immediately got the books and started gobbling them up. They started out amazing as well, but eventually (may have been book 5...I'll have to check) I just kind of got bored. I still had no idea what the overall plot was...everytime you start to think it's going to be a story about this character or this family, they all die. It felt like I was 5 books in and still covering backstory. There were still like 8 plots that had not yet converged. Made me worry that the TV show might not maintain interest long enough to finish.

No, the books aren't done yet, still 2 to go. Book 5 only came out in paper back fairly recently and has been out for about 2 years before that. At the current rate George R R Martin has been writing I wouldn't expect to see book 6 until at least 2016.

Book 5 only came out in paper back fairly recently and has been out for about 2 years before that.
Almost three years. Since July 12th 2011. I remember that because I preordered it but had surgery on the same day so I couldn't pick it up.

The series is definitely worth watching after season 1, even if you have read the books. When I read the books I often thought to myself "Oh I hope this will get filmed, because this would be awesome to watch.". I also imagined that short actors would fight each other to get the chance to play Tyrion. ;) He doesn't disappoint.
Of course there are boring scenes in many episodes, but not without reason - they are there to set things up for later events. No scene is filler.

Last edited:
Of course there are boring scenes in many episodes, but not without reason - they are there to set things up for later events. No scene is filler.

Qft.
I often find myself telling my wife while watching: "Remember that little scene 2 seasons back when X and Y were discussing Z? THIS is the result of their actions!"

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thankfully at the moment it still seems as popular as ever. I've just had one too many great shows leave me with no resolution (exhibit A: the Stargate Universe thread is currently on the front page here).

So I'm in that limbo...I loved the first season and want to dive in head first and watch all the rest, but I'm leery. Without some more reassurance, I lack faith that it will end strong.

The TV show has done a nice job of weeding out a lot of the minor plot points and tangents, and generally condensing the story.

As far as the books, IIRC part of the problem with books 4 and 5 were that when he began writing there was supposed to be a 5 year gap in the stories timeline between the end of book 3 and the start of book 4 to allow dragons to grow and characters to advance etc...

Also Martin got into a dilemma of how to get each of the major characters where they needed to be in the story for its eventual conclusion. They had branched out into separate story arcs, but were supposed to be converging again and many characters who had not had scenes with others needed to meet up. This is what fans refer to as the Meereenes Knot

He rewrote several parts and eventually split what was to be one book into 2 books. This led to the 11 year gap in books. Hopefully he doesn't write himself into a corner again before the series is finished

At any rate, the books are going somewhere, just at a slower rate than originally conceived.

Martin has told the HBO producers how the story ends and how each of the major characters play into this. Theoretically HBO could at some point surpass Martin's timeline in the books and decide to finish it on their own. Doubtful though that they would choose to do that as I think they would prefer to keep somewhat concurrent at least with the books. But if Martin never finishes the books, they do have how the story should end and can run with it.

The only thing I wonder about is what was going on with the Mountain in that scene. I mean, those guys were prisoners, I guess? From the rags they wore I assume they weren't bandits or anything. But it looked like one or more of them had weapons that they subsequently dropped. Some kind of twisted game for the guards and Gregor?

I was wondering that too. Unfortunate sparring partners I guess probably from the prison

Probably nothing more than to remind you how much the Mountain loves to brutally kill things and give some face time to his character before the big showdown.

They have already started covering stuff from A Feast with Crows and A Dance With Dragons, mainly with Theon's story and Danny's story.

Those books take place at the same time, but are only separated by region. A Feast For Crows is mostly what was happening in the south at King's Landing, Dorne and the Iron islands' stuff. A Dance With Dragon's predominately handles the North with Jon's story, Bran, Theon and Stannis, and overseas with Danny. There have been several blogs regarding a more optimal reading flow by reading chapters back and forth from each book in a certain order.

At any rate, next season seems to be the last full season they can really do unless they start doing some serious padding of the story. Even then next, season I wouldn't be suprised to see some more things creep in that are beyond the scope of the books.

They have already started covering stuff from A Feast with Crows and A Dance With Dragons, mainly with Theon's story and Danny's story.

Those books take place at the same time, but are only separated by region. A Feast For Crows is mostly what was happening in the south at King's Landing, Dorne and the Iron islands' stuff. A Dance With Dragon's predominately handles the North with Jon's story, Bran, Theon and Stannis, and overseas with Danny. There have been several blogs regarding a more optimal reading flow by reading chapters back and forth from each book in a certain order.

At any rate, next season seems to be the last full season they can really do unless they start doing some serious padding of the story. Even then next, season I wouldn't be suprised to see some more things creep in that are beyond the scope of the books.

They're going to have to do serious padding at some point anyway. Dany saying "we're staying here" was the end of her story in the third book, and that came only halfway through this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they use up all of her book 5 stuff until the Meereenese Knot before the end of this season. Introducing the part of having Reek sent back to the Greyjoys "pretending" to be Theon is shooting themselves in the foot too, as I recall that came a fair bit into book five.

Introducing the part of having Reek sent back to the Greyjoys "pretending" to be Theon is shooting themselves in the foot too, as I recall that came a fair bit into book five.

Having finished the books a couple weeks ago, that's true. The problem is, so far they left out stuff which could have been interesting, but wasn't shown:
Dorne and the Sandsnakes, the Iron Islands and the Kingsmoot for example. If they show these storylines next season, it will provide some breathing-space, but at the expense of the screen time of other characters.

Having finished the books a couple weeks ago, that's true. The problem is, so far they left out stuff which could have been interesting, but wasn't shown:
Dorne and the Sandsnakes, the Iron Islands and the Kingsmoot for example. If they show these storylines next season, it will provide some breathing-space, but at the expense of the screen time of other characters.

Not necessarily. I think the "southern stories" will work fine alongside several other stories taking place in the north simultaneously. The chronology will be fiddled with a bit, but I think there's PLENTY from Books 4 and 5 that can be done simultaneously for at least another season or two.

That's only partially true, by the second half of A Dance with Dragons the storylines converge and are no longer split by geography.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back